Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: F stop markings on lens board

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: F stop markings on lens board

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    No.
    This is what I seem to be recalling. Link for illustrative purposes only.

https://www.ebay.com/i/283604079271?...CABEgLKSPD_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    This is what I seem to be recalling. Link for illustrative purposes only.

https://www.ebay.com/i/283604079271?...CABEgLKSPD_BwE
    Compur had scales readable from behind the camera for decades before this shutter. Any Compur shutter that has an exposed gear thread behind the shutter could accept accessory aperture setting sticks. Plaubel took it further and added a shutter control stick as well.

Later both of these add ones were available for Prontor Professional shutters.

But none of these features are what the Linhof Comfort Board offers.

The original Sinar Copal mechanical shutter had behind the lens aperture setting also.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I always learn something interesting from you, Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    ... $630 is straight up robbery, no matter where it's made...
    +1 I guess I'll just keep setting the aperture with the end of my cable release for my lenses mounted in recessed boards

Alan,

In response to your original question: I find that having a pair of reading glasses handy helps me read the aperture markings as well as the mm scale on the beds of my cameras. I focus roughly with 3-4x readers or a 4x clip-on over my regular glasses anyway, so I always have a pair at hand. The only real problem I have is when the camera is very high and I am using a lens in a recessed board, which prevents me from reading the aperture scale. In these cases, I usually just remove the lens from the camera, set everything and then remount it.

Best,

Doremus

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I've never seen one personally, but yes it would be nice.

$630 is straight up robbery, no matter where it's made...
    Rather less from Linhof & Studio in England at £265 or about $358.25. After adding currency conversion charge on your credit card plus shipping still would be rather less and one might get it faster too. Still a rather pricey board.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    +1 I guess I'll just keep setting the aperture with the end of my cable release for my lenses mounted in recessed boards

Alan,

In response to your original question: I find that having a pair of reading glasses handy helps me read the aperture markings as well as the mm scale on the beds of my cameras. I focus roughly with 3-4x readers or a 4x clip-on over my regular glasses anyway, so I always have a pair at hand. The only real problem I have is when the camera is very high and I am using a lens in a recessed board, which prevents me from reading the aperture scale. In these cases, I usually just remove the lens from the camera, set everything and then remount it.

Best,

Doremus
    I lowered my tripod about 2-3 inches. Of course I have to squat a little. But I still have problems. I tried magnifier glasses, They help. I'll have to work with it awhile to see what solution works for me. Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I lowered my tripod about 2-3 inches. Of course I have to squat a little. But I still have problems. I tried magnifier glasses, They help. I'll have to work with it awhile to see what solution works for me. Thanks everyone.
    Tripod height should be determined by the subject, i.e., it's part of finding the right camera position for the shot. So, sometimes I have to squat, lie on the ground or climb up on whatever is handy. The real problem is getting the high point of view some subjects require. Tall tripods and a ladder are difficult to carry in the field. I've climbed up on top of my car on occasion (à la AA), but hiking out in the backcountry requires some creativity; setting up the tripod on boulders and climbing up on one yourself to view the gg, etc...

Have fun,

Doremus

Isn't it amazing how many wonderfully helpful gadgets USED TO BE available?
    I have dozens in my closet which are still working and useful. When I Take Them to camera shows, no one even looks at them, unless to smirk at the "old" stuff.