Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: contact prints

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

contact prints

Will any glass do for holding the negatives flat to make contact prints?

Eric Woodbury

Re: contact prints

Clear float glass, like window or picture framing glass, works fine. If you don't have a frame, use some heavy glass so that you maintain good, close contact between neg and paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Woodbury View Post
    If you don't have a frame, use some heavy glass so that you maintain good, close contact between neg and paper.
    ...but get the edges chamfered so that you don't cut your fingers handling the glass.

Drew Wiley

I prefer thick anti-Newton glass just like in an enlarger carrier, but thicker. Don't know if anyone makes that anymore; but something close could be homemade from float glass. Frosted picture framing glass is awfully thin and break-prone, and might show texture in the print.

There is a source of Anti Newton glass online you an search. Agree with Drew. Modestly thicker than clear float glass is best as is edge buffing.

Drew Wiley

Since I don't contact print anything bigger than 8x10, I just use my Condit 8x10 masking frame, which already has thick AN glass, and is certainly a premium quality item.

In the past I've used a thick piece of glass I found at a Pier 29---I think it was for use on an end table, but I've replaced that with a Printfile CP-1 Contact Proofer. I just find it easier to work with the Printfile.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    In the past I've used a thick piece of glass I found at a Pier 29---I think it was for use on an end table, but I've replaced that with a Printfile CP-1 Contact Proofer. I just find it easier to work with the Printfile.
    Hmm, only $35 at B&H, I'll order one when I'm ready.

I have a 1cm thick piece of glass about 12x10" but it won't hold Ilford Double weight paper flat. If I ever try contacts again, I'd go with a good quality print frame. If one prints with diffuse light, the paper and negative must touch over the entire surface. If one prints with collimated light (focused light under an enlarger lens) every piece of dust on both sides of the glass and both sides of the negative and the top of the paper can show.

If you need AN glass depends on the film you use. With some types of film I do get newton rings, but often with sheet film I don't (except with tmax100). So give it a try with regular glass and upgrade if it proves to be necessary. A sheet of regular float glass of decent thickness isn't expensive.