Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: contact prints

Re: contact prints

I use this glass on top of my film in Print File pages and digitize with a medium format digital back and also a Fuji X-Pro3:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have been consider this for 14X36" X-Ray contact prints

Not kidding

https://www.amazon.com/Rectangle-Gla...-garden&sr=1-5
    Tin Can

I think I have a 42" round table top sitting in the closet. Of course that will never fit under the enlarger but I may use it to dry a big Fiber based print when I get to that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I have been consider this for 14X36" X-Ray contact prints

Not kidding

https://www.amazon.com/Rectangle-Gla...-garden&sr=1-5
    Might have a built-in neutral density filter! Their other glass is marked "Clear". Free shipping? That's going to weigh a bit!

Definitely have the edges sanded at the shop if you buy a piece of glass. Not only will it protect your fingers, it will be less likely to crack
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

It seems big sheets of glass ship with sales price included.

I had a hard time getting 1/4" plate glass sourced and cut for my old contact printer, which works well after I dialed down the lamps for enlarging paper and added more diffusion.

Time-O-Lite by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Might have a built-in neutral density filter! Their other glass is marked "Clear". Free shipping? That's going to weigh a bit!

Definitely have the edges sanded at the shop if you buy a piece of glass. Not only will it protect your fingers, it will be less likely to crack
    Tin Can

If you are seriously going to make contact prints from any kind of LF negative, even collodiion on glass, a vacuum UV exposure unit is perfect. They are pricey on fleabay or amazon, but you might be able to cobble one together from a printing supply house. They need the vacuum unit with "blanket" (a sheet of neoprene rubber) a vacuum pump and then a light source. I used one for years when I contacted 4x5 thru 11x14 negatives onto platinum/palladium/kallitype homemade papers. No lack of perfect contact, always worked like a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorpepe View Post
    If you are seriously going to make contact prints from any kind of LF negative, even collodiion on glass, a vacuum UV exposure unit is perfect. They are pricey on fleabay or amazon, but you might be able to cobble one together from a printing supply house. They need the vacuum unit with "blanket" (a sheet of neoprene rubber) a vacuum pump and then a light source. I used one for years when I contacted 4x5 thru 11x14 negatives onto platinum/palladium/kallitype homemade papers. No lack of perfect contact, always worked like a charm.
    Yes it is nice to have a large vacuum frame and pump / UV printer but it is by no means necessary particularly with silver prints. I find that a 80 year old Century spring back contact frame (even though it is slightly warped) does as good a job as my Nuarc plate maker or my stand alone vacuum frame / vacuum pump combo and it is more efficient. I contact print 8x10, 11x14 and 8x20 under a Durst 138 enlarger (180mm Nikkor enlarger lens as my illumination control) on Ilford multi grade paper with an Ilford 500 multi grade 600 watt (2x300 watt bulbs) light head on top. Allows me to control print contrast with a push on a keyboard. I record the distance from the easel to the lens and the F Stop for replicating future reprints. Lots of ways to get to Grandma's house.