Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CatLABS X film, from Freestyle - any user information?

Re: CatLABS X film, from Freestyle - any user information?

I was the one who started that other thread. I wasn't conclusive on its look. Not enough people have used this film yet. I ended up getting 3 rolls of it in 120 (since 120 was all I could get at the time). I haven't sent it off to be developed yet though. Im waiting to send my batches of film off. I was told it was mid contrast in its look, and similar to Panatomic X. But I question if this new film is as good as Pan X. Certainly Pan X has better quality control.

Different film, different look, different speed, way different processing options... Just hype...

Steve K

4x5 sheet of CatLabs X Film 80 exposed at 40 ASA and processed in Rodinal 1:50
    I like what I see so far, but I will be rating it even lower the next time I use it.

Just to follow up now that I've used most of a box of 4x5 of this. It is an interesting film with its own look. And it is sharp and very fine grained. I think the official development times at ISO 80 overdo it. At least with d76 1:1 and HC110 "B."

I develop 4x5 and 5x7 and 4x10 film in my DIY sloshers. I NEVER damage emulsion doing it this way with gentle constant agitation and the film emulsion side up. This has worked for me for 30 years. But with this film, at least every other sheet has small clear emulsion free defects in it. I don't know if it is me or the film, but this just isn't film I can rely on for this reason.

Opportunities for touch up...

olden days they did that a lot

I just hope the power grid keeps working

everywhere
    Tin Can

I have another working time for it with 510 Pyro.

ISO 32

5 seconds of agitation per minute with 30 seconds initial agitation.
    1:100 - 68F - 14 minutes.

That's a lot of development for 510 Pyro so I might be able to back off that time a bit. I only have a Heiland TRD-2 B&W densitometer so I'm not sure I'm accurately reading the stain. I like the film quite a bit for a 'cheap' option. I think I like it a bit more than Pan-F, and unlike Pan-F, it's available in sheets.

I just ordered a few boxes as I am restarting my darkroom. I was looking for a low speed fine grain 4x5 film, settled on the CatLABS mostly due to price. I have been doing a few tests to determine a useful exposure index. So far I have found an effective speed at 25 using Rodinal @1+25 [6:30 minutes] processed in deep tanks with hangers. I also did a test with HC-110 Dil. B [8:45]. Both seems to to produce good negatives with the Rodinal giving slightly denser highlights. Unfortunately my densitometer isn't working right now, so it s a bit tough to get specifics. I'll post images when I get something worth posting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1945.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	206485

There are rumors that Shanghai GP3 is the same film as Catlabs X80. Who you argue with will vary on this rumor if its true or not. I shot a roll of X80 on my medium format camera at 80 ISO and it was very underexposed. I have a box of GP3 in 8x10, but not sure what to expose that for. 32 ISO maybe?

Well CatLABS has said that this film is reminiscent of Panatomic X and more old school films. From what I've seen people are getting good results. I shoot Ilford and Kodak in black and white sheet and roll film. I may try the Catlabs at some point. Nice to have options.

Quote Originally Posted by braxus View Post
    There are rumors that Shanghai GP3 is the same film as Catlabs X80. Who you argue with will vary on this rumor if its true or not. I shot a roll of X80 on my medium format camera at 80 ISO and it was very underexposed. I have a box of GP3 in 8x10, but not sure what to expose that for. 32 ISO maybe?
    I've seen all the rumors and speculation about this, but I've tested and shoot regularly GP3 roll film and with my equipment, per my densitometer, I get an EI 80. Therefore, if others are seeing more in a range of EI25 - EI32 with X80, then I'd guess it's not the same film. Sorry, certainly don't wish to flame the a vs b arguments with this post. Just my 2 cents...