Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi from Ireland

Hi from Ireland

Hello all, looking at putting my foot into the world of LF photography. Primarily digital at this point, lots of film back in the Eighties but looking to deepen a few areas and excited by the possibilities that LF presents, so looking to return to a black and white darkroom.

Curious about 5x7 in the main, it's been my preferred ratio for a long time and I invariably crop to it, and researching what my initial purchases will need to cover.

Re: Hi from Ireland

In looking back on my photographic adventures in Ireland, 9 out of 10 of my final prints were sweeping panoramas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Doolin Ireland.jpg  

Welcome, 5X7 is a good format!

Quote Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
    Hello all, looking at putting my foot into the world of LF photography. Primarily digital at this point, lots of film back in the Eighties but looking to deepen a few areas and excited by the possibilities that LF presents, so looking to return to a black and white darkroom.

Curious about 5x7 in the main, it's been my preferred ratio for a long time and I invariably crop to it, and researching what my initial purchases will need to cover.
    Tin Can

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by TommyW View Post

Welcome back to the club Tommy! Glad to have you here and look forward to your contributions.

As fare as 5x7 film goes (either color or B&W 5x7 film) it's not plentiful though not as few choices for B&W films and usually available for purchase in a few B&W emulsions. 5x7 color film or slide must now be bought when Keith Canham does a group purchase like once or twice a year.
    You could get a 5x7 camera with both 5x7 & 4x5 reducing back so you can also shoot the less expensive much easier to buy 4x5 film, either B&W or color print/slide film.

Welcome! 5x7 is a great format.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Thanks guys. I've been looking at quite a few different options that seem to be available now, in terms of camera. @greg, yes, they are tempting... @louis I'll factor that reducing back into my calculations. It would be good to have that flexibility.

My interest and experience is primarily black and white, quite like the idea of getting back to developing and probably start by scanning and contact prints.

Very nice...

George Sheils

Welcome Tommy, I live in Clare. I shoot mostly 6x6 Hasselblad, 5x4 pinhole (various cameras) and a 5x4 Walker XL. I print my own black & white scan to web. Great to hear another LF user from Ireland

Hi George nice to meet.

Welcome Tommy!

Tom