Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 83

Thread: Stearman Press SP-810

  1. #71

    Re: Stearman Press SP-810

    Quote Originally Posted by jurgenestanislao View Post
    Has anybody experienced these types of imprints on their negatives with the SP810?

    Look at these stretch mark-like and worm-like patterns in the attached photos.

    I've ruled out temperature shift reticulation as I did two tests already with consistent temperature.

    Developed using Pyrocat-HD 1:1:200, 60min semi stand development.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    In order to properly execute sheet film stand or semi stand development you must use have the film in the proper sized tube and the film must be standing vertically to properly accomplish the development objective. Trays using this technique have been proven to introduce any number of unacceptable artifacts and are not the correct tool for the stated objective.

  2. #72

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    4,565

    Re: Stearman Press SP-810

    Quote Originally Posted by jurgenestanislao View Post

    What I did differently I guess was I used 400ml of liquid.
    I usually develop 8x10" HP5+ semi-stand in trays with diluted xtol and I've never had that problem.

    Was the film developed with the emulsion side up or down ?

    There has been many people developing stand in trays with pyrocat without having problems (https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...5/#post-680960)

    Make tests with fully exposed film strips...

  3. #73

    Re: Stearman Press SP-810

    Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    I usually develop 8x10" HP5+ semi-stand in trays with diluted xtol and I've never had that problem.

    Was the film developed with the emulsion side up or down ?

    There has been many people developing stand in trays with pyrocat without having problems (https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...5/#post-680960)

    Make tests with fully exposed film strips...
    I am sure there are. But that does not eliminate the broad and unfortunate assumptions that are at times extrapolated to a convenient conclusion such as developer choice and developer dilution just to keep things simple. Plus Xtol and Pyrocat are completely different animals. You want to use catechol in Pyrocat for its unique anti bromide drag characteristics at the 1.5:1:240 level you will need to get a $2 tube and two $3 end caps from the hardware store and take the risk out of play. You want to continue to play with tray development and this technique, by all means have at it.

  4. #74

    Re: Stearman Press SP-810

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    I am sure there are. But that does not eliminate the broad and unfortunate assumptions that are at times extrapolated to a convenient conclusion such as developer choice and developer dilution just to keep things simple. Plus Xtol and Pyrocat are completely different animals. You want to use catechol in Pyrocat for its unique anti bromide drag characteristics at the 1.5:1:240 level you will need to get a $2 tube and two $3 end caps from the hardware store and take the risk out of play. You want to continue to play with tray development and this technique, by all means have at it.
    is that solution for extreme minimal agitation? provided tubes are needed, what are the times and agitation frequency our of curiosity

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  5. #75

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    4,565

    Re: Stearman Press SP-810

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    I am sure there are. But that does not eliminate the broad and unfortunate assumptions that are at times extrapolated to a convenient conclusion such as developer choice and developer dilution just to keep things simple. Plus Xtol and Pyrocat are completely different animals. You want to use catechol in Pyrocat for its unique anti bromide drag characteristics at the 1.5:1:240 level you will need to get a $2 tube and two $3 end caps from the hardware store and take the risk out of play. You want to continue to play with tray development and this technique, by all means have at it.
    Michael, yes.. all Steve Sherman recipes are done with those tubes and Pyrocat HD with flawless results... pyro produces less bromide for the same density as a fraction of the density is not produced by silver development but by the stain, I guess that dilution you say also helps.

    In theory bromide drags are helped by the vertical film position as gravity helps, I moved to trays from tanks because of that, as I was having drags.

    I use trays because it takes less developer one shot than tanks, with diluted developer not much chem is wasted. Also I use paper safe for the development tray so it's a daylight system, I close lights to move the sheet from the paper safe to a regular tray with the stop bath and after 30s I open lights again, fixing lights open. This is convenient because it's a pipelined job, while fixing/washing a sheet the paper safe is free to take another sheet for development.

  6. #76

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    4,565

    Re: Stearman Press SP-810

    Quote Originally Posted by jurgenestanislao View Post
    is that solution for extreme minimal agitation? provided tubes are needed, what are the times and agitation frequency our of curiosity
    "EMA" is usually Semi-Stand agitated or Stand, so one agitation in the middle or none. Time depends on dilution, film and N+/-.


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA5A7j_8c-Q

    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChq...able_polymer=1

    https://www.powerofprocesstips.com/



    EMA has very noticeable effects in the negative, you may perform a N+/- like with any other processing but it allows next:


    > Shouldering highlights, extreme highlights develop less than with regular processing, reaching lower densities and conserving texture. That lower development in the highlights comes mostly from the Bromide development byproduct that's not removed from the emulsion because of the lack of agitation, Br is a restrainer. The effect of Br is well more intense than potential developer exhaustion.

    > Increased "microcontrast", this is something I checked it well personally.

    > If using pyro, the stronger stain in the high density areas (highlights) work as a yellow filter, so highlights are printed with less gradient with Variable Contrast paper, allowing to optically print extreme highlights in an easier way.


    "EMA" is not a silver bullet, it's an additional tool we have that can be more or less powerful depending on our own skills.

  7. #77

    Re: Stearman Press SP-810

    Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post

    I use trays because it takes less developer one shot than tanks, with diluted developer not much chem is wasted. Also I use paper safe for the development tray so it's a daylight system, I close lights to move the sheet from the paper safe to a regular tray with the stop bath and after 30s I open lights again, fixing lights open. This is convenient because it's a pipelined job, while fixing/washing a sheet the paper safe is free to take another sheet for development.
    Come on Pere. You are concerned about using "less developer?" You kidding me? I mix Pyrocat HD in gallon volumes and process a lot of 8x10, 11x14 and 8x20 sheet film and that gallon of developer lasts me nearly 18 months. It is without question the most economical developer we have access to if you mix your own which is not that hard. In my 8x10 gas burst tank I can do stand development and do six sheets of individual 8x10 film development in a run and in three and a half gallons of developer and I use three ounces of Pyrocat A and two ounces of Pyrocat B. Folks that are constrained with space or keeping their costs down to process sheet film can't go wrong with a black plastic tube you can acquire from the local hardware store and one hard and one rubber cap and you need little space to roll it. The SP-810 is a tool and reading these posts it does its prescribed job very adequately. I content that stand development is not one of these attributes however. Your fool proof choice is develop conventionally with the SP-810 with adequate developer concentrations and consistent agitation cycles and you will be fine. Use the right tool for the job.

  8. #78

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    4,565

    Re: Stearman Press SP-810

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Come on Pere. You are concerned about using "less developer?"
    Michael I agree that with Pyrocat you don't need to use trays to save developer, but there are other situations where it can be important:

    If you compare with Yankee tank or Paterson Sheet Film tank for one shot, with trays you save a lot of developer.

    For example (4x5, in this case) with Mod54 you need 1L for 6 sheets, even at 1:2 dilution with Xtol you waste 50% of the developer, if one shot. At 1:1 you use 500ml of stock chem when you need only 150ml, you waste 70% of developer if one shot.

    Of course when mixing developers from raw chem then cost can be a least concern... anyway personally I take care to not use more chem than required, for the environment.

    Me I usually use Xtol, using twice than required is a pain, mixing Xtol it is time consuming and there is a cost. Instead with liquid concentrates mixing it's easier and it can be done every time just before processing.

    So for Xtol I value saving developer, for liquid HC-110 or Pyrocat I see less a need, but anyway I prefer polluting less.

  9. #79

    Re: Stearman Press SP-810

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Come on Pere. You are concerned about using "less developer?" You kidding me? I mix Pyrocat HD in gallon volumes and process a lot of 8x10, 11x14 and 8x20 sheet film and that gallon of developer lasts me nearly 18 months. It is without question the most economical developer we have access to if you mix your own which is not that hard. In my 8x10 gas burst tank I can do stand development and do six sheets of individual 8x10 film development in a run and in three and a half gallons of developer and I use three ounces of Pyrocat A and two ounces of Pyrocat B. Folks that are constrained with space or keeping their costs down to process sheet film can't go wrong with a black plastic tube you can acquire from the local hardware store and one hard and one rubber cap and you need little space to roll it. The SP-810 is a tool and reading these posts it does its prescribed job very adequately. I content that stand development is not one of these attributes however. Your fool proof choice is develop conventionally with the SP-810 with adequate developer concentrations and consistent agitation cycles and you will be fine. Use the right tool for the job.
    Makes sense.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  10. #80

    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area, California
    Posts
    107

    Re: Stearman Press SP-810

    I received my Stearman 8x10 tray weeks back but did not have a chance to try it out until today. My impression of it is extremely positive, and it is in fact easier to drop 4x5 film into the tray rather than fiddling with the SP-445 film holders. I still really like the SP-445 but this is better for me. I think it will help me avoid some of the earlier processing mistakes I made. Looking forward to trying it out with J. Lane 4x5 plates tomorrow.

    Quote Originally Posted by hporter View Post
    I normally use the Stearman Press SP-445 to develop 4x5 sheets when I don't want to set the Jobo up. While I have enjoyed the SP-445 and like it very much, I will probably use this tray instead in the future. In the dark, it is much easier and much quicker for me to pull the sheets from my holders and lay them in the tray rather than trying to pull them and then slide them into the SP-445 holders. The SP-445 is not difficult, the tray is just easier.

Similar Threads

  1. Stearman press ZoneView viewing filter
    By IanBarber in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-Dec-2017, 15:17

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •