Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Comparison of Howtek 8000 Resolve to Epson V850

Re: Comparison of Howtek 8000 Resolve to Epson V850

Epsonscan I believe applies a nominal gamma of 2.2 if you select it in COnfiguration tab. You can also ,selec a gamma of 1.8. I don't know what happens if you select No Color Correction.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clipboard01.jpg  

I either scan No Color Correction and get a more dark image. Or I select Color COntrol but not Continuous Auto Exposure. The latter sets the histogram levels automatically. I leave that unchecked and then set the black and white points just outside the histogram.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    "can be lost" doesn't entail that important data is lost. Your statement seems to say that the big danger in applying a gamma to the scan data is that the endpoints shouldn't be clipped. I agree that endpoints shouldn't be clipped, and one can do that without using a linear gamma. Many of us have decades of practice doing so. What I don't want is people new to scanning thinking that they need to jump into having a linear gamma, or getting Vuescan, or.... I've use a lot of scanning applications, and Vuescan is my least favorite, btw. My advice is to get the basics of scanning down. Don't jump in and do a whole bunch of scans. Rather, do a scan and take it to it's completed end use, whether onscreen or a print. Evaluate and try to do better. Once the basics are nailed down, then by all means investigate other options. What I'm saying is do the work, and be careful about magic bullet chasing.
    This is 100% true. Even If there were a magic bullet so to speak, if you don't know what your doing you will get a wonderful mess of crap. The best thing I learned was to study the image as I scanned and converted. Paying attention to highlights and shadows as well as midtones and not get fixated on the curve itself and also in u Der standing what that curve meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I either scan No Color Correction and get a more dark image. Or I select Color COntrol but not Continuous Auto Exposure. The latter sets the histogram levels automatically. I leave that unchecked and then set the black and white points just outside the histogram.
    1.8 was an apple thing. 2.2 is standard now. So long as you get the end result your after the technique you use is up to you. I don't use Epson can so don't k ow much about it.

Hi... I've been shooting MF 120 film in my 6x17 camera....and my scanner I use to digitize it to prep for prints is an older Epson V600....decent but not the best in the world.
    I was thinking of upgrading, but from what I can read, it appears a drum scanner is the gold standard for scanning print film.

https://www.7pcb.com/
    Last edited by PetrTecilla; 9-Sep-2021 at 14:34.

I think the term "Gold Standard" in this case is irrelevant. What's important is what you think you need to get the kind of results you want with a workflow you're willing to commit to.

For a lot of people, the Epson's are fine. I've made very nice prints from my V750, but decided that I wanted something better. I looked into drum scanning and spent time with an expert and decided that I wasn't comfortable with the workflow so I moved up to a high end flatbed (Creo/Kodak IQsmart 2) and I'm very satisfied with the results. I can make the prints I want in less time and with fewer problems than when I used the Epson.

So please consider your own objectives and act accordingly and don't worry about a "Gold Standard"

Jim, How large of prints did you do satisfactorily with the V750 and now with the Creo/Kodak IQsmart 2?

I have a 17 inch Epson P800 so the widest I would usually print is 16". I've done 16 x 20 -ish prints from 120 film that look fine. I don't usually print super large though - some 11 X 14 and a few 13 x 19's but often just Whole Plate size.

The really largest is a 40 x 50 print from a scan of a 5 x 7 that I did on the Epson but it's on canvas. Looks pretty nice though.