Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Still Life 2020

Re: Still Life 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Moogie View Post
    Dear forum friends,

As I only found the still life 2019 thread, I open this new one as I just finished the photograph below of a finding from the beach.
    It looks a bit like a skull of an animal / fish but I think it is probably some fragment from a spine.

Skull-Bone
    by Miguel Buschhauer, on Flickr

Needed very long to remove all the dust it collected while drying and scanning (and I still missed some :-))

Shot on an old mirror with Arca Swiss F-Line Discovery 4x5, Goerz Dagor 150mm, Bergger Pancro 400@200 in Acurol N 1+50.
    The bone is that of a hip section, probably a cow. At least this one was. Cambo Legend, 210mm Caltar II N, FP4+, PyroCat HD 2:2:100
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mask_150.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	201847

Quote Originally Posted by rrunnertexas View Post
    Jim, that is a great image with a unique feel. Which secret weapon lens was this made with?
    Thanks! It was made with a new-2-me pre-WWII Ilex 15 3/4" Paragon Anastigmat with diffusion control similar to the more common Wollensak Velostigmat. I need to do a little "write up" on it with some images because it's in a unique shutter. It's got this huge 7 inch wide shutter that I can't help but think may have been an Ilex factory prototype that never got produced. I've never seen another like it.

More soon but glad you asked.

Crown Graphic 45. Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar 135mm f4.7 at f32. Front tilt. Ilford FP4. XTOL 1:2 11min 21C.

Untitled by Howard Sandler, on Flickr

Beautiful Howard. I like the ones in the basket even better.

Quote Originally Posted by hsandler View Post
    Crown Graphic 45. Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar 135mm f4.7 at f32. Front tilt. Ilford FP4. XTOL 1:2 11min 21C.

Untitled by Howard Sandler, on Flickr

My first attempt to still life in large format.
    It was so much fun ! I probably wouldn't have tried without these confinement measures.

Chamonix 4x5, Tele-Arton 250/5,6, Tmax 100 in HC-110, scanned contact prints on Ilford warmtone FB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Natures mortes mars20_01.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	201929 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Natures mortes mars20_02.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	201930 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Natures mortes mars20_03.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	201931 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Natures mortes mars20_04.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	201932

Hi Paul !
    You are right : Industar is a Tessar formula and is as good as any other Tessar from other brands. I had two, one friend of mine here
    has one and he is pretty happy with it. As for quality control - well, it's rather myth than truth, I'd like to see one they call rubbish.
    Nice picture as usual
    Best,
    Igor.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    Thanks, glad you like it.

As regards the Industar37; my understanding is that there is quite a bit of variability among them in terms of quality. I don’t know how true this is, but I’ve had one person tell me they acquired one and found it was rubbish. I had no intentions of getting one of these but a friend said to me recently that he’d decided he wasn’t going to proceed with his plans to build a camera for it and offered it to me, so I accepted his offer.

I’ve done no side by side comparisons with any of my other lenses - I suppose I could compare it with my 10” Kodak Anastigmat and my 12” Kodak Ektar f4.5 and see how they relate. I gather that the Industar is a Tessar in design. It is a coated lens (appears to have coatings on the front and rear of the front group), but it still exhibits some flare without shading the lens under flare-inducing conditions,so you’ll need to pay attention to that. I can’t tell you exactly what it’s image circle is, but it more than covers 8x10 at infinity. My Industar has about fifteen aperture blades which makes for very clean bokeh I expect (haven’t used it to test that yet), so in all, I am pleasantly surprised by its performance. You could do far worse in seeking out a “normal” lens for 8x10. Be aware, of course, this is a barrel lens (no shutter) so for some folks this presents a usability problem.

Black Garlic
    13x18 Foma 200ASA
    Rodinal 1+50

Best,
    Igor.

Quote Originally Posted by Iga View Post

Black Garlic
    13x18 Foma 200ASA
    Rodinal 1+50

Best,
    Igor.
    Beautiful. But wait, what? We do not have such a thing here in the US. Now I must google...
    --

Ha ! It came from USA here !

Best,
    Igor.

Quote Originally Posted by Iga View Post
    Ha ! It came from USA here !

Best,
    Igor.
    I see, very interesting!

On this lockdown, I've achieved several PHD's and mastered Buddhist breathing techniques

---wiki page--

Black garlic is made when heads of garlic are aged under specialized conditions of heat and humidity. Bulbs are kept in a humidity-controlled environment from 80 to 90% at temperatures that range from 60 to 90 °C (140 to 190 °F) for 15 to 90 days (typically 85%, 70°C, 40 days). There are no additives, preservatives, or burning of any kind. The enzymes that give fresh garlic its sharpness break down. Those conditions are thought to facilitate the Maillard reaction, the chemical process that produces new flavour compounds responsible for the deep taste of seared meat and fried onions. The cloves turn black and develop a sticky date-like texture
    --