Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: help choosing portrait lens?

Question help choosing portrait lens?

I know this type of question has been asked quite a bit, I've been searching and reading but still having a hard time getting a clear idea in my head. Hoping some of you wouldn't mind helping me try and sort it out.

Shooting 4x5 (Toyo 45E). I have a Nikkor W 210mm f/5.6, want to try something more "vintage", around 240mm f/4.5. I'd like to have a shutter with sync port for strobes.

I've read the article on the main page and the Heliar sounds appealing, but above 210 seems to be only barrel (or barrel adapted to a shutter). I've found out about the Packard shutters (never heard of them till I started researching this), that's an option but would prefer something more convenient if possible (though being able to use the Packard with a variety of barrel lenses might be nice for future flexibility.

This also lead me to the question of aperture. As I understand it, part of the appeal of the Heliar is the round aperture achieved with a high number of curved blades. The aperture is obviously implemented in the barrel lens, but what about the lenses that are normally mounted in a shutter? Is the aperture part of the lens or part of the shutter? If I find one in a shutter, how can I be assured that it will have the same round aperture as the barrel version?

Tessars seem to be another option in the realm of what I'm looking for, though I've read they have a more abrupt transition to OOF whereas the Heliar is more gentle, I thought this would make the Heliar a little more appealing to me.

Hope that's enough information to get some useful feedback. Appreciate your thoughts.

Foamer

Re: help choosing portrait lens?

My favorites, in order: 150mm heliar, 240mm Dagor, 165mm Tessar. On 5x7 it's 300mm Velostigmat. All uncoated of course. The Velostigmat is a very underrated portrait lens and performs a lot t like a wide open Tessar. Add those to your short list.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

The Velostigmat Series II is a fast (f/4.5) Tessar. I'd recommend a 9.5-inch with the soft focus uncorked. For use with strobes, either a Packard shutter, or look for one in a Betax and switch the elements to the more modern Alphax shutter. The 9.5-inch Raptar would be the same lens, but coated and without the soft-focus option.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

get the heliar..you will not be disappointed... I've seen them in shutters too

I shoot a 240 and 300 (in shutter) on my 5x7...never a bad rendition!

Kent and Mark mention the Velostigmat. I love my Series II with the soft focus control. It's 12" and I've currently got it on the front of a 4x5 Graflex SLR. Great for portraits, as well as still life.

You won't go wrong with a tessar or heliar in shutter. The Copal 3/3s shutter and similar (Shanel) have plenty of nice blades for a pleasing background. There are currently some Fujinar 210mm f4.5 on the ebay right now and if the shutters are OK, they will be awesome value lens for portraits.

A 254mm Ilex Paragon is a fine lens. Two came on a Keith Camera Twin Lens 4x5 I once had.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

For a lens mounted in a shutter, the aperture or iris is part of the shutter. For an idea about what makes a good portrait lens, take a look at the ongoing portrait thread on this forum. And don't shy away from an old Tessar. They're great old lenses. And wonderful for portraits.

This all depends on what image look you are going after - sharp and higher contrast (from newer lenses) or the more "dreamy vintage" softer focus look (from typically older barrel type lenses). There is a wide variety of looks you can get. I have schneiders for super sharp images and also some barrel, meniscus, and petzvals for softer looks. What area in San Diego are you at. I'm in Carlsbad nearly every week if you want to get together and see some examples.

Dan

Thanks for all the replies. I found a Heliar in a Compound shutter online that looks pretty nice, may spring for that. Would put a bit of a dent in the bank account but it's the only one I've found longer than 210mm that isn't a barrel lens.

The other suggestions are interesting too. I tend not to favor shorter focal lengths but may try something out since they're more affordable and could be a good experience.

Dan, I'm in Rancho Penasquitos, about 30 min from Carlsbad (in light traffic). Do you use your barrel lenses with a shutter of some sort?