Thread: X-Rite 810 Reflected Reading Confirmation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

X-Rite 810 Reflected Reading Confirmation

I am trying to calibrate my RH Analyser Pro using an X-Rite 810. There is a stouffer patch kit with a 'paper white', a 0.04, a 90%, and a DMAX target. When I read the 0.04 patch it reads .14 on my densitometer in Visual mode. Does this mean that my 810 is out of calibration? Or is this correct and I'm just miss interpreting the results.

The aim here is to make test strips and match a certain shade to the 0.04 patch, which I thought would be easiest to do with a densitometer rather than visually.

The unit came with a Transmission calibration target, but not a Reflection target.

Re: X-Rite 810 Reflected Reading Confirmation

I’ve bought old MacBeth reflection calibration plaques at auction and use them to verify the calibration of my Ihara 710. So have you ever calibrated it?

I just pulled it out of the box from the sale today. It did come with the transmission calibration card and I went through that, it checks out.

I just took a reading of a grey card and that gave me .61, and I took a reading of paper white from a sheet of FB glossy and I got .11. Do these sound close to correct? My understanding was that a grey card should read about .7-.75...

As long as it reads the calibration card correctly, that’s all I would worry about. I have a 10 step Macbeth calibration plaque that I use to check linearity

Eric Woodbury

Not all grey cards are the same grey (zone). And they have various reflection properties, too.

I don't know if it would work or not, but a really good 'white' is zinc oxide or titanium oxide. Used for sunscreen and paint. Just a thought.

Well I have the calibration card from RH Designs. It originally read the .04 patch at .15 so that's quite a bit off. I probably shouldn't have done so but I basically messed with the calibration tools until the .04 patch gave the correct reading within about .01.

Is there a cheaper calibration tool than the XRite patch? They are currently listing it for $164.

Which X-Rite patch is this?
    The Container Lab
    www.thecontainerlab.com/blog

I'm not sure what to do with this Densitometer...

1. It does seem to calibrate correctly.

2. I have a color checker passport which has 6 grey targets. It seems to read them correctly. They run from .05 to 1.50 and the readings are correct.

3. It reads the sample patches from RH Designs however, differently. White is like .06 and "0.04" is .14.

4. It reads FB paper white as basically .04.

In fact my initial calibration with the Analyser Pro, when I was using .04 as the target, resulted in very under exposed prints. Only when I re-entered the offsets from a visual examination of my calibration test strips did I get closer to the correct numbers.

So...bah. It reads one set of targets right on, but another differently. It was not useful in calibrating my analyser but that's partly only because I did not simply match the reading the grey patch was actually giving me, opting instead to target the one in the instructions, which is 0.04.

Should I keep the XRite and just assume that it's readings are correct, or return it? I could keep looking for a used Heiland...