Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The new Ektachrome E100, Tetenal E6 and Jobo

Re: The new Ektachrome E100, Tetenal E6 and Jobo

This is from Jobo's 2020 calendar "Pre-Wash
    In this context it is helpful to remark that JOBO clearly recommends to always pre-wash
    your film (and paper) in rotary processing for 2 to 5 minutes. Pre-washing allows the
    emulsion to soften up and absorb first water molecules. Keep in mind that, different from
    inversion processing, in rotary processing chemistry does not hit the whole film surface
    at once. Pre-washing makes sure that chemical is evenly absorbed by the emulsion in
    rotary processing of your film (and paper), avoiding unevenness and undulations on the
    film surface. Our service department found that 99% of customer complaints with unevenness were strictly correlated to the lack of pre-wash. Color-processing times remain
    unchanged even with pre-wash, whilst B&W development times need to be increased by
    an average of 20% compared to B&W development without pre-wash.
    With inversion processing the pre-wash can be skipped as the whole film is always simultaneously immersed in chemistry. Due to the reduced agitation in comparison to rotary
    processing the development times are about 25% longer for inversion processing than
    they are for rotary processing to achieve the same density. As a rule of thumb, you can
    say that developing film in rotary processing with pre-wash will take about the same time
    as inversion processing without pre-wash at any given temperature. Most large format
    photographers know about the challenge of achieving evenness of processing when working manually. The larger the film format the greater this challenge becomes. Apart from
    perfect control of push & pull process, the evenness is one of the main reasons why a
    large format photographer should opt for the JOBO processor with Expert Drum."

I always believe pre-wash makes a lot of sense for film and photo paper development. Not sure why does Ilford not recommend pre-wash for its film development.

Quote Originally Posted by nbagno View Post
    This is from Jobo's 2020 calendar "Pre-Wash
    In this context it is helpful to remark that JOBO clearly recommends to always pre-wash
    your film (and paper) in rotary processing for 2 to 5 minutes. Pre-washing allows the
    emulsion to soften up and absorb first water molecules. Keep in mind that, different from
    inversion processing, in rotary processing chemistry does not hit the whole film surface
    at once. Pre-washing makes sure that chemical is evenly absorbed by the emulsion in
    rotary processing of your film (and paper), avoiding unevenness and undulations on the
    film surface. Our service department found that 99% of customer complaints with unevenness were strictly correlated to the lack of pre-wash. Color-processing times remain
    unchanged even with pre-wash, whilst B&W development times need to be increased by
    an average of 20% compared to B&W development without pre-wash.
    With inversion processing the pre-wash can be skipped as the whole film is always simultaneously immersed in chemistry. Due to the reduced agitation in comparison to rotary
    processing the development times are about 25% longer for inversion processing than
    they are for rotary processing to achieve the same density. As a rule of thumb, you can
    say that developing film in rotary processing with pre-wash will take about the same time
    as inversion processing without pre-wash at any given temperature. Most large format
    photographers know about the challenge of achieving evenness of processing when working manually. The larger the film format the greater this challenge becomes. Apart from
    perfect control of push & pull process, the evenness is one of the main reasons why a
    large format photographer should opt for the JOBO processor with Expert Drum."
    Can you provide a link. What is the calendar? Is this literally a 2020 calendar, one you can hang on a nail?

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    Can you provide a link. What is the calendar? Is this literally a 2020 calendar, one you can hang on a nail?
    Oops, typo. Should have said catalog, not calendar. Link Here

Quote Originally Posted by nbagno View Post
    Oops, typo. Should have said catalog, not calendar. Link Here
    Thanks so much. This is the first time I've seen this much info from Jobo.

In my experience with prewash in Tetenal E-6 is that it causes a color shift.
    If anyone interested, my FD times in Tetenal E-6 (manual rotation @ ~42 RPM) are:

1st reuse: 6:40
    2nd reuse: 7:00
    3rd reuse: 7:30
    4th reuse: 8:00

Control strips:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BrAtzt8gbsF/

JaZ

I’m planning on doing some E6 processing soon, I am new to doing this process at home. I’ll be developing about 30 sheets of 5x4. I can see two products available here in the uk. One is the Colortec 3 bath kit which makes 2.5 litres of solution and the other is a Bellini 6 bath kit that makes 1 litre.

I wanted to ask:

Is the solution reusable or is it just single use?

I’m shooting a studio series, where the lighting is consistent throughout, so would it be best for consistency of colours to not reuse the chemicals, even if it is possible to do so?

Is there a way to find out how many sheets of 5 x 4 the kits can process? The data only gives information on 35mm film.

Is the 6 bath kit a big improvement on the 3 bath?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyTreacy View Post
    I’m planning on doing some E6 processing soon, I am new to doing this process at home. I’ll be developing about 30 sheets of 5x4. I can see two products available here in the uk. One is the Colortec 3 bath kit which makes 2.5 litres of solution and the other is a Bellini 6 bath kit that makes 1 litre.

I wanted to ask:

Is the solution reusable or is it just single use?

I’m shooting a studio series, where the lighting is consistent throughout, so would it be best for consistency of colours to not reuse the chemicals, even if it is possible to do so?

Is there a way to find out how many sheets of 5 x 4 the kits can process? The data only gives information on 35mm film.

Is the 6 bath kit a big improvement on the 3 bath?

Thanks.
    1 135-36 equals 1 8x10 sheet equals 1 120 film. 4 4x5 equal 1 135-36

I have never tried the Bellini kit but Tetenals Colortec kit is brilliant. You can read abit here (it is Tetenal about Tetenal): https://tetenal.com/media/48/b8/74/1...27-06-2018.pdf

The 2.5L kit is good for 30 135-36 films so reusable up to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    1 135-36 equals 1 8x10 sheet equals 1 120 film. 4 4x5 equal 1 135-36
    Thanks for the info, very helpful.