Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Focusing loupe

Re: Focusing loupe

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    Alan,

Loupe power is a personal preference; some like more powerful, some less.

The issue of seeing into the corners of the images arises when using very short focal lengths or lots of movements. For this a tilting loupe may be good. However, I prefer a free-floating loupe without a skirt. My current preference is a 5x stamp viewing loupe that collapses into its housing for easy transport. Yes, one has to learn to hold the loupe the right distance from the ground glass, but there's never any need for adjusting to your eyesight with or without glasses. Sometimes I use mine with both progressives and a set of 4x clip-on magnifiers attached. Easy to find the hot spot anywhere on the ground glass.

As for the Fresnel: your Fresnel should have a protective glass cover. If not, you will need to be careful not to scratch the Fresnel screen since it is plastic. I don't know the configuration on the Chamonix cameras.

Best,

Doremus
    I have a Schneider 6x6 film loupe. It has black and translucent skirts that are interchangeable. Without them, the main focusing portion can be move up and down as you suggested as a free floating loupe. The Fresnel is between the GG and the operator's eye. Do not know if it's protected or what. I'll try it out once I get the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Just ti be clear. Do I understand you;re recommending I get a loupe that has an adjustable focus ring? If so, any recommendations?
    I have gone through many including a low power set of lenses that I put together is ABS pipe and the hard to find EMO. I have ended up using a Toyo long like this
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ght=toyo+loupe
    Outdoors. It is simple rugged and I won't cry if I lose it. I do need to float it over the GG.
    And for indoors I use a Fugi 4X power like this
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuji-4X-Lou...p2047675.l2557

I have used this Ebony loupe for about 15 years. I use it mostly to see the tiny numbers on my ALPA medium format lenses when looking down from the camera.
    I believe it is a simple magnification filter put in an elegant solution for usage and storage.

I have no problem focusing with my Linhof right angle viewer or my Sinar bio viewer; film is sharp!
    A vision problem I do have is not being able to focus correctly through a viewfinder while wearing contact lenses.

Last edited by darr; 9-Jan-2020 at 22:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Yes. I have two similar to the one you linked to as well as my favorite, as seen on "Sherlock."
    https://www.amazon.com/Sherlock-Magn...a-765477174204

I have regular loupes to with both opaque and transparent skirts, but I use them mostly for negative viewing.

Best,

Doremus

Great show

I will try one

Thanks
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    Yes. I have two similar to the one you linked to as well as my favorite, as seen on "Sherlock."
    https://www.amazon.com/Sherlock-Magn...a-765477174204

I have regular loupes to with both opaque and transparent skirts, but I use them mostly for negative viewing.

Best,

Doremus
    This is an Eschenbach:

https://www.eschenbach.com/products/...nt-designo.asp

The loupes with the flat bottomed plastic skirts are better on a lightbox, but on a GG, the further away from the center means the light is more at an angle, so the loupe has to be tilted towards the lens angle for maximum brightness (esp in the corners and edges)... So having a skirt type has a drawback...

Getting used to skirt less means you have to "focus" it by the distance between loupe and GG, but you get used to it quickly by first getting the GG grain + GG side gridlines sharp, then examining the image...

Loupes with skirts can be often be "cheated" by looking through the skirt end and looking for the GG grain and at the angle fox max brightness... Loupes with an eye cup tend to be slightly useless as you don't usually have your head that close to the camera, and most loupes allow your eye distance to still view at a slight distance, and the eye cup gets in the way if loupe is reversed...

A little practice, and it becomes second nature...

Steve K