Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Focusing loupe

Re: Focusing loupe

Grab something, anything, and use it.
    That way you'll know what you want to spend your money on.
    An Agfa is cheap and works.
    A Schneider costs way, way more and works.
    Most guys here like the Fuji.
    Wisner preferred Linen Testers to loupes and some guys use magnifying glasses from CVS
    Carson and Peak also have a following
    I use a Silvestri tilting loupe.

What matters is what works for you!

If you want to drop some dough for loupe Nirvana, I'd have to say a Fuji would be a safe bet judging by it's popularity here, but you'll have to hunt for one as they stopped making them a while back AFAIK.

What I found to be most important in a focusing loupe (for me) is that it has a lanyard so I can wear it around my neck, where it's handy and secure.
    Some day in the distant future, archaeologists will write dissertations about all the Agfa loupes discovered in the Sierra (which I probably contributed to by losing 'em.)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I think it was on this forum someone was saying a 50mm SLR lens would work. I've never tried it and yet, I have like a dozen 50mm lenses!
    --

They do if reversed
    Tin Can

Pentax 5.5x Lupe with an opaque skirt.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Foamer

Most lenses will work if reversed but are awkward to use. Have done in a pinch.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

In the studio I'm always grabbing a 50mm Nikkor and looking through it backwards for a loupe.

The camera has a Fresnel lens between the ground glass and eye. SHould I be concerned that certain loupes may damage the lens when you put the loupe on it? If so, what's recommended?

ALso, I wear progressive eyeglasses. Are fixed focus loupe's OK or will I need one that has an adjustment on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    The camera has a Fresnel lens between the ground glass and eye. SHould I be concerned that certain loupes may damage the lens when you put the loupe on it? If so, what's recommended?

ALso, I wear progressive eyeglasses. Are fixed focus loupe's OK or will I need one that has an adjustment on it?
    Best is a 4 to 6x loupe with an adjustable diopter so you can place it directly on the Fresnel and adjust its focus till the grain of the gg is sharp. Do this without the lens.

Good gg loupes will not scratch.

If you use a non adjustable loupe you will always be out of focus by the thickness of the Fresnel + the thickness of the gg to thground surface since fixed diopter loupe are designed for the focus to be on the surface it is placed on and not beneath it.

I also wear Progressives and like adjustable focus, but I set it once and forget it.

I bought this recently, drilled a hole in the base, and made a shoelace necklace

https://www.edmundoptics.com/f/opaqu...gnifier/11954/

I like it around my neck, so I can find it and keep it safe.

Not cheap, but real glass made in USA

Used it twice today.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post

Tin Can