Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Dark Cloth 4x5

Re: Dark Cloth 4x5

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thoms View Post
    I really like my BTZS for my 4x5 and 8x10. Just bought a Harrison for my 7x17 because the bellows has pinholes. Haven't had a chance to use the Harrison yet, but it's nicely made and I'm sure it will work fine. I like the BTZS because they are really dark and make it much easier for me to see the ground glass.

Black Jacket is another one to consider. That's whats actually on my 8x10 in my avatar photo, but I ended getting a BTZS hood because they are a little simpler. The Black Jacket has arm holes vs. the BTZS which has a velcro closure along the bottom.

Roger
    IS it better to have the cloth go over the whole camera like the Harrison? I find its hard to do anything with the back standard adjustments when your wrap it with a cloth.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    I wouldn’t overthink it. I own varios commercial options and they usually stay inside the bag except during summer. Reason is, I usually wear a light cloth jacket when I’m out hiking. It’s enough to wrap it around the camera with your hands and it’s good enough to see even at f9. Simple to put on and remove! I also use it to cover the bellows and filters (if using) right before shooting. The commercial options typically have some form of tension system to wrap around the back; I find that then removing it to insert the film holder may shift/move the camera, so I make the tensioning very loose so in the end it doesn’t “close” it fully and becomes like a jacket. So I may just as well use one. It also saves some space.
    Thanks for the info. I'm not a hikler. So I shoot from short distances to my car. So I'm not concerned with weight or an extra cloth. I just want to get something that works best.

I used a BTZS on the 4x5 Tachihara I used to own. It worked great. When I bought my 8x10 I purchased a Black Jacket because of what I read about them. The Black Jacket is really dark and a joy to use but is a little finicky due to putting your arms in the sleeves. It takes a little longer to set up.

Shooting 8x10 is a slow process so the little extra time doesn't bother me and I enjoy the Black Jacket being really dark. Of course the BTZS is plenty dark for most people and is a little faster setting up. You really can't go wrong with either one in my opinion. It just depends upon how picky you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'm not a hikler. So I shoot from short distances to my car. So I'm not concerned with weight or an extra cloth. I just want to get something that works best.
    That’s fine. But the jacket would work for short distances as well. You can just go out to your backyard or window and see if it works for you.

I mean, it’s not just weight or volume. The commercial solutions are hovering around $100. You can almost buy 50 sheets of Tmax 100 with that, or put it towards another lens. Of course, that’s only if money is a consideration.

Ultimately my message is that there’s a lot of “gadgets” that are not really needed but newcomers feel they have to have to start shooting, or to do it “the proper way”. My experience is that a cloth is one of those unnecessary items but YMMV.

My wife told me she wanted to buy me a black leather jacket for my birthday next week. I think I ought to take her up on the offer.

A leather jacket might be too heavy. Honestly, just get whatever looks best. Give it a go. See what you like/don't like. If it's not ideal, then you'll know what to look for next time. What works best is highly personal.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    IS it better to have the cloth go over the whole camera like the Harrison? I find its hard to do anything with the back standard adjustments when your wrap it with a cloth.
    Not necessary if you’re bellows are light tight. I bought the Harrison specifically for a 7x17 Folmer & Schwing that has a few pinholes in the bellows. If I end up shooting a lot with the camera I get new bellows, in the mean time I can draw the Harrison over the bellows and be fine. On your Chamonix you don’t need to cover the bellows with the darkcloth. I have a Chamonix 45N-2 and use the BTZS hood with it.

Not necessary if you’re bellows are light tight. I bought the Harrison specifically for a 7x17 Folmer & Schwing that has a few pinholes in the bellows. If I end up shooting a lot with the camera I get new bellows, in the mean time I can draw the Harrison over the bellows and be fine. On your Chamonix you don’t need to cover the bellows with the darkcloth. I have a Chamonix 45N-2 and use the BTZS hood with it.
    Which size BTZS? How do you find getting in and out of that thing with a loupe? DO you have any problem shaking the camera when taking it off and changing focus or view?

I have the 4x5 size for my Chamonix, no problem with the loupe, I just open up enough of the Velcro to reach my hand in. Also leave it on for focusing, but if needed I can take the hood on and off with out moving the camera.

This might help. https://youtu.be/2IduAabNQpY

Roger

I have the 4x5 size for my Chamonix, no problem with the loupe, I just open up enough of the Velcro to reach my hand in. Also leave it on for focusing, but if needed I can take the hood on and off with out moving the camera.

This might help. https://youtu.be/2IduAabNQpY

Roger
    How do you install the film holder and/or remove the dark slide with the BTZS still attached to the camera?