Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Cloth 4x5

Re: Dark Cloth 4x5

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    More and more these days...I've been using a black t-shirt - with the large end being placed over the camera back. Wearing closeup glasses (I like the two-eyed viewing!) and placing the head-hole over just the top of my head and my eyes - I can move about the screen nicely while keeping my nose and mouth out of the "bag," which mitigates that real PIA problem of focus screen fogging.

My next steps are to sew a white t-shirt to the outside (to reflect heat), sew the head-hole a bit smaller so the remaining opening is just large enough for the glasses, and sew an elastic head-strap over this hole to keep it affixed to my head. Oh...and I'll sew a drawstring into the large end to keep it more secure over the camera, also allowing for a quick removal from the camera prior to film insertion and exposure. Meanwhile, the bag will stay on my head - gathered around my neck to stay out of the way until the next setup, at which point the large, drawstring end gets pulled back over the camera, while the rest stays attached to my head. Should work (I think)! I'll post a pic when its done.
    So what we need is a fashion accessory that doubles as a scarf, hood, and dark cloth. or a dark cape.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    More and more these days...I've been using a black t-shirt - with the large end being placed over the camera back. Wearing closeup glasses (I like the two-eyed viewing!) and placing the head-hole over just the top of my head and my eyes - I can move about the screen nicely while keeping my nose and mouth out of the "bag," which mitigates that real PIA problem of focus screen fogging.

My next steps are to sew a white t-shirt to the outside (to reflect heat), sew the head-hole a bit smaller so the remaining opening is just large enough for the glasses, and sew an elastic head-strap over this hole to keep it affixed to my head. Oh...and I'll sew a drawstring into the large end to keep it more secure over the camera, also allowing for a quick removal from the camera prior to film insertion and exposure. Meanwhile, the bag will stay on my head - gathered around my neck to stay out of the way until the next setup, at which point the large, drawstring end gets pulled back over the camera, while the rest stays attached to my head. Should work (I think)! I'll post a pic when its done.
    Which close up glasses do you use? What power?

Alan...I have a 4x diopter set (had to order these from my eyeglass place - cost 12 dollars) - giving me a good view of the entire screen on my 5x7 while generally allowing enough detail for fine focus. There are times when I'd either like to go even closer, or perhaps try to order something like a 4x-7x bifocal arrangement. Probably a bit more expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by fotopfw View Post
    If you want something beautiful, go for 'Wanderer', https://www.wandererphotogear.com/
    Do some cloths create a problem with dust for the film?

Go to A "joann's' fabric store, buy two yards of blackout fabric, which has a rubberized cloth on one side and the other is white, and if they don't 'ave it there, Ebay for the same amount of black Gortex.

Make a large five by five foot square, of each fabric, rubberized side in, and sew the two pieces together.

Scotchgard the outer white side of the cloth, and add Velcro tabs on the four corner points, both sides, and one additional point on the middle of each side, plus some duel sided Velcro straps for joining/anchoring to each dark cloth point or to tripod legs etc.

The white material is weightier, by far, over the black Gortex, but with it's rubberized fabric, is light proof and will reflect the sunlight when used.

It will also help keep the rain off your kit.

When anchoring the cloth to your tripod, be sure it's no so windy that it'll become a sail and move/carry it off.

You can go smaller, but Five by five feet is what many LF photographers seem to like, and you can always fold it up to fit the bottom of your box/bag, as additional padding for travel.

By the way, I keep a changing bag in the bottom of my small/medium format bag, for the same reason.

IMO.

Currently using a Wanderer darkcloth. Also travel with one of these: Matador pocket blanket. https://matadorup.com/products/pocke...nt=34861130950 great for throwing over camera, or tossing on the ground to make sure nothing gets loss. 3rd choice, too expensive for me but very interesting: Paramo dark cloth from England. https://www.paramo-clothing.com/en-g...8-64193008df0e

Got a ancient waxed cotton darkcloth yesterday, very dirty, well worn and perhaps full of bugs considering the source. The other things are cleanable.

I immediately took it back outside into the bin.

I like waxed cotton jackets, but not strange bugs...
    Tin Can

I have a very old, now (very unfortunately) mouse-eaten dark cloth which was extremely lightweight and compactable. Best feature was that its texture and tones (light gray one side, silky black other side) made it my very favorite backdrop for smallish still-life subjects (see photos). Too bad about those mice!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pea Harvest #2 copy.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	199989 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deer skull.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	199990

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Do some cloths create a problem with dust for the film?
    For these I've never noticed dust or fabric comes off the cloth.
    I own the gear, but those don't make masterpieces. My everyday experience.

Trip to the local fabric store, suggest using white satin outside (reflective, cooler on HOT days. Aluminized material will drive others near by wild), black cotton (lesser slippage) on the inside. Don't need fabric that is too heavy, just heavy enough to block light and cover your top with camera. Suggest adding weights to the bottom area of the dark cloth to help keep the dark cloth from flopping around too much. Don't make the dark cloth too larger or it will be overly bulky for no good reason.

Apply the fuzzy side of velcro to the camera side of the dark cloth, apply the velcro hook side to the camera. This will keep the dark cloth on the camera and makes it easy attach or remove from the camera as needed.

Nothing fancy, simple and functional is most important.

Bernice