Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cable Release 4x5

Foamer

Re: Cable Release 4x5

If you like the one you have and it works, you're good. One thing I've learned about cable releases is the cheap ones come apart pretty quickly. I only buy the best now and come to think about it haven't had to buy another in several years now.
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-IMG_0788.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	199152

Alan, I think the release you have will be fine. I also prefer something in that length range, allowing some slack between hand and lens. The two above are 16" Minolta with dial locks, although the locking ability I have never had use for.

Get a loupe and dark cloth and you're good to go. Oh, do you have a tripod and adequate head?

Gone through lots of these over the years...and have finally discovered that Pentax 20 inch cloth releases (with circular locking collar) are the cats pajamas! The thing about cloth releases is that they are supple - and this, when combined with a 20 inch length, equates to no movement transferred to shutter...very important! But ya gotta buy quality!

Duplicate

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-IMG_0788.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	199152

Alan, I think the release you have will be fine. I also prefer something in that length range, allowing some slack between hand and lens. The two above are 16" Minolta with dial locks, although the locking ability I have never had use for.

Get a loupe and dark cloth and you're good to go. Oh, do you have a tripod and adequate head?
    Merg, Yes I have an old heavy Gitzo with matching Gitzo triple pan and tilt head. I use it with my heavier Mamiya RB67 medium format camera and its solid. It should be fine for the 4x5 Chamonix. I see you have releases on each lens. Is that a "best" practice of yours?

The 20" release i found OK for my medium format camera. So I suppose it should be fine for 4x5. I like it's flexibility and the length keeps the pressure off the camera. I don't like dial lock cables as I find it locks at the most inconvenient times when I don't need it. This one I have has a side lock knob so it doesn;t lock by accident. SInce the lens has T and B, I shouldn't need it anyway. Would I?

I'm going to try a extra large black heavy duty T-shirt for now just to see what I need in the way of a dark cloth.

Also the I have a Schneider 6x6 film examing loup (3x power?) and an Agfa 8x loupe. The Chamonix has a Fresnel between the ground glass and eye. So I'll try the ones I have to get some feel for what's going on and what I might need afterwards. I want to get a feel for what's happening since I never used a large format before and then decide.

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Gone through lots of these over the years...and have finally discovered that Pentax 20 inch cloth releases (with circular locking collar) are the cats pajamas! The thing about cloth releases is that they are supple - and this, when combined with a 20 inch length, equates to no movement transferred to shutter...very important! But ya gotta buy quality!
    Good point, John. I also prefer the long cloth releases, especially if one chooses to store lenses with the release attached.

Alan,

I think you're obsessing a bit much about accessories (on this and your loupe thread) You just need something to get the job done.

I have cable releases with cloth, metal and plastic coverings and in lengths from six to 16 inches; all work fine. I buy a batch of used cable releases every ten years or so and keep a few spares with me at all times so if one breaks, I'll have a replacement. I like to have a dedicated release attached and stored with each lens so I don't have to fiddle with attaching one every time I set up.

You only need long-throw cable releases with some press shutters and a couple of older shutters (Ilex?). The only annoyance I ever have is with the collar locks on some releases that tend to rotate to the lock position when you least want them to. With lenses with T and B settings, cable-release locks are superfluous; I've taped the collar locks open on my releases that have them.

Length is a personal preference, just make sure that a long(er) release doesn't droop in front of the lens when taking (don't ask me how I know...).

Best,

Doremus

I'm sure you're right I'm obsessing. Got nothing else to do. The camera is in China and the lens is in Japan both in process of shipping. What's the expression about a "slow boat from China"?