Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water marks

Water marks

Hi all,

I recently purchased an sp445 developing tank. Have been processing film successfully, however recently I have been getting some strong water marks on the non emulsion (shiny) side of the film. They directly line up with the plastic markings of the film holders. They don't seem to be appearing on my scans, however I am still keen to do away with the problem.

I have been racking my brain to think how they could occur as I successfully processed my film without them previously. I then realised that all my previous film was Tmax 100 and the marks are appearing now on HP5. Is it possible that different film stocks are more susceptible to these issues than others?

Some photos attached.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 8-1-20, 9 25 44 am.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	199111
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 8-1-20, 9 25 51 am.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	199112

Re: Water marks

Looks like abrasion, not water marks. Tmax100 is perfectly smooth and hard on both sides; other films are more susceptible to mechanical damage. I think the problem is related to the holders in the spearman tank and I believe I've read about this issue before.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Which version of the holders are you using?

The most recent ones.

Shown here; https://shop.stearmanpress.com/produ...nt=19466108614

Edit: Sorry, did some research. I think I have version 3. The latest version (4) seem to be upgraded for warping and I had a look at my holders and they are straight.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Let’s hope that got resolved in Rev4... I just bought one but haven’t had a chance to use it yet.

Andy Eads
    Pasco, Washington - the dry side of the state

Dave, Are you using a wetting agent as the last bath? It looks like the concentration might be too high. - Andy

I believe that is the anti halation coating that has not fully been washed off. They have an recommended washing procedure: https://youtu.be/5Xvkzidoxhc

Alternatively you could always wash the film separately in a tray. As to water marks I have found that two distilled water rinses with a short soak have eliminated all water marks for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Eads View Post
    Dave, Are you using a wetting agent as the last bath? It looks like the concentration might be too high. - Andy
    Thanks Andy. I use a bath with a drop of detergent. I live in a developing country with no access to get a proper wetting agent atm. It could be that this concentration is too high? Do you think there is different tension on the film from where they have been resting on the holders and the last bath has stuck more to this area?

Quote Originally Posted by NHE View Post
    I believe that is the anti halation coating that has not fully been washed off. They have an recommended washing procedure: https://youtu.be/5Xvkzidoxhc

Alternatively you could always wash the film separately in a tray. As to water marks I have found that two distilled water rinses with a short soak have eliminated all water marks for me.
    Thanks, I use the Ilford method of washing and haven't had a problem with this in the past. I may consider a separate tray wash but I want to somehow eliminate the possibility that this could have happened during the process before the wash.

Just a follow up to this post. I think I have solved the problem.
    The film that I was developing was stored in the fridge. I took it out for about 15 minutes before loading it in a dark bag. I believe that the film was still cool when it was being loaded and perhaps even some moisture has drawn it closer to the film holders leaving marks when it is dry.
    I left more film out overnight and developed it today with no problems.
    Something to keep in mind for those who are using this system.
    Cheers,