Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wollensak 159mm 12.5 shutters question

wollensak 159mm 12.5 shutters question

Hola!
    I have this lens in a Betax #3 shutter. I think I got it CLA'd almost 10 years ago, maybe sooner. I don't remember. These shutters seem pretty old. Before I decide on getting it CLA'd again, (thinking of camping this year with my 8x10), what are my options on trading the shutter with something else?

Are these lenses just unscrew and able to fit onto different shutter? I've seen these Wolly 159mm on Rapax and Alphax shutters. I don't know what "#n" sizes those translate into a Betax #3 shutter.

Not sure how long the wait list is for Flutot (pretty sure she did it last time, long time ago).
    --

Re: wollensak 159mm 12.5 shutters question

Get small Packard shutter

The small ones are cheap and work best
    Tin Can

Not disagreeing in any way that a small Packard would work fine my concern is that a CLA would be less expensive than buying the correct Packard and finding a way to get it properly mounted. Plus my feeling is that the lens mounted in shutter will take up less space in your back pack. If the shutter is wore out that changes the dynamics. Carol should be able to help in this regard. Slow times are one thing. Malfunctions are a horse of a different color. I have this lens in Alphax shutter and the shutter works perfectly at all speeds. Even though they are old they can last a long time.

Will the 159mm lens element be unscrewed and fit into something like this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wollensak-3....c100005.m1851

I guess if not, I'll just either get it CLA'ed or guessing I'll be doing a stopwatch type of expsure...mississippi 1, mississippi 2..... and so on.....
    --

Here is the catch 22 in this situation. Even if the new shutter fits your lens you have no idea if this shutter is any better than the one you already have. Somewhere along the line you are either going to have to suck it up and get the shutter fixed. If the current shutter has a way to open the shutter (a working T setting would be optimal) then you could use a lens cap with a stop watch or a count and save yourself some money. If your lens has the circle "W" on the lens face that means it is coated and is an air spaced modern version of the lens. In this instance I would not hesitate to get it CLA'd. If it is the series III I would try to use it as it is if possible. My $0.02.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Here is the catch 22 in this situation. Even if the new shutter fits your lens you have no idea if this shutter is any better than the one you already have. Somewhere along the line you are either going to have to suck it up and get the shutter fixed. If the current shutter has a way to open the shutter (a working T setting would be optimal) then you could use a lens cap with a stop watch or a count and save yourself some money. If your lens has the circle "W" on the lens face that means it is coated and is an air spaced modern version of the lens. In this instance I would not hesitate to get it CLA'd. If it is the series III I would try to use it as it is if possible. My $0.02.
    It has a T, and it's the one way to focus. I never noticed if it has a "W" on it! I was home for lunch and did a test shot with a stopwatch and the "2" setting, which is I think 1/2 a second, was ummmm, on my stopwatch more like 1 second. Ha!

I'll check to see if it has a W. Lens looks darn old but I recall the lens wasn't that great (cheap) but after I sent it to Flutot, the lens is darn clean. I think the old springs or something on the Betax (how old are these things? 60 years old? maybe its just not strong enough.
    --

PM sent.

Also have and use the same lens. Mine is in a Rapax and has the purple circled "w". The lens was used but a few times in the 1950s (?), then put into storage. I acquired the lens a few years ago, and the shutter was very sticky from non use. Thought of just using it with its T or B settings (thought faster speeds I'd never use), but they were unreliable. Got the shutter CLA'd, and never looked back. Was surprised at how many times I have come to use it at its 1/10 and 1/25 speeds. Use it mostly on a whole plate camera. With its covering 8x10 with some movements, it allows for generous movements on the whole plate.

A lens in a Betax #3 shutter will also be a direct fit in a #3 Alphax shutter.

Just for posterity’s sake, I’ll point out that the Wollensak Series IIIa “EX W. A.” f/12.5 159mm lenses (uncoated, Betax shutter) are a 4/2 design with about 100 degrees coverage stopped down, whereas Wollensak’s post-war “Extreme W. A.” f/12.5 159mm lenses (coated, Alphax or Rapax Shutter) are a 4/4 design with a 90 degree angle of view. Both eminently usable, with trade offs of coverage vs. flare reduction between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Whir-Click View Post
    A lens in a Betax #3 shutter will also be a direct fit in a #3 Alphax shutter.

Just for posterity’s sake, I’ll point out that the Wollensak Series IIIa “EX W. A.” f/12.5 159mm lenses (uncoated, Betax shutter) are a 4/2 design with about 100 degrees coverage stopped down, whereas Wollensak’s post-war “Extreme W. A.” f/12.5 159mm lenses (coated, Alphax or Rapax Shutter) are a 4/4 design with a 90 degree angle of view. Both eminently usable, with trade offs of coverage vs. flare reduction between the two.

Cool info!! Is that your alphabetax site?
    --