Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wollensak 159mm 12.5 shutters question

Re: wollensak 159mm 12.5 shutters question

Yep. I love me some Wollensak.

Quote Originally Posted by Whir-Click View Post
    A lens in a Betax #3 shutter will also be a direct fit in a #3 Alphax shutter.

Just for posterity’s sake, I’ll point out that the Wollensak Series IIIa “EX W. A.” f/12.5 159mm lenses (uncoated, Betax shutter) are a 4/2 design with about 100 degrees coverage stopped down, whereas Wollensak’s post-war “Extreme W. A.” f/12.5 159mm lenses (coated, Alphax or Rapax Shutter) are a 4/4 design with a 90 degree angle of view. Both eminently usable, with trade offs of coverage vs. flare reduction between the two.
    I find this very interesting. I once owned an early 159mm (per the serial #) that did cover 8x10 but just barely. I believe it was in a Betax shutter. Sold it many years ago. My current 159mm f/12.5 WOLLENSAK EXTREME WA in a Rapax has the purple circle with the "W" inside. I believe that it is one of the last versions of this optic, from a note I made but with no reference to check it out. It covers 8x10 with movements. One architectural shot I took was with the front standard raised maybe 2cm, but with the sky in the top of the frame, I can't tell if the image is sharp or not, only that the lens projected an image that covered that full 8x10 negative. I will have to shoot with it on my 11x14 to determine just what its coverage actually is. Will post the results.

Yep. I love me some Wollensak.
    I have a sticky Alphax with a 210 Raptar and a 9.5” Velostigmat Series II with sticky softness control I’d like to place in that Alphax, can you do that?
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

Steve, please drop me a PM or e-mail and I’d be happy to discuss your particulars. I wouldn’t want to gum up the thread.

Steve, please drop me a PM or e-mail and I’d be happy to discuss your particulars. I wouldn’t want to gum up the thread.
    You are correct, sorry about that everyone.
    --- Steve from Missouri ---