Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jasper National Park Fall 2020

Ray Van Nes

Re: Jasper National Park Fall 2020

Thank you Merg. We have a very good international airport and lots of car rentals.

One thing about flying to Calgary: if at all possible, get a direct flight. Avoid changing planes in Vancouver. That is where you will have to clear customs. It's busy. We missed our connection, and the next one, and the next one.....Eventually caught the last flight out, and of course killed a half day of shooting.
    But you won't regret the trip.
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidFisk View Post
    One thing about flying to Calgary: if at all possible, get a direct flight. Avoid changing planes in Vancouver. That is where you will have to clear customs. It's busy. We missed our connection, and the next one, and the next one.....Eventually caught the last flight out, and of course killed a half day of shooting.
    But you won't regret the trip.
    Spent the last few days looking at airfare and rental cars. Our sons will be flying in from San Francisco and we are in Denver. Yes, Calgary is a direct inexpensive flight and the way we will proceed. I have a challenge I am working on. Do I fly to Calgary with my 8x10 and just do the trip with one format or do I drive my truck and take the 8x20 and the Deardorff V11 as well as a broader selection of optics and more film holders? Driving up would take longer but I would be able to photograph along the way through Wyoming (Yellowstone Park) and Montana (Glacier Park). Will give it some more thought as both paths have positives and negatives (no pun intended).

Quote Originally Posted by michael kadillak View Post
    spent the last few days looking at airfare and rental cars. Our sons will be flying in from san francisco and we are in denver. Yes, calgary is a direct inexpensive flight and the way we will proceed. I have a challenge i am working on. Do i fly to calgary with my 8x10 and just do the trip with one format or do i drive my truck and take the 8x20 and the deardorff v11 as well as a broader selection of optics and more film holders? Driving up would take longer but i would be able to photograph along the way through wyoming (yellowstone park) and montana (glacier park). Will give it some more thought as both paths have positives and negatives (no pun intended).
    drive !!!!
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    drive !!!!
    Yup. Think that is the game plan. With the truck I can be loaded for bear figuratively speaking. What is the old saying.

Go Big Or Go Home.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Yup. Think that is the game plan. With the truck I can be loaded for bear figuratively speaking. What is the old saying.

Go Big Or Go Home.
    My choice would be to drive. However, it really depends on how much time you have for the additional two thousand miles. Either way, it should be a productive trip. Enjoy!

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

If you got the time, I'd drive; and if it were me I'd bring the Pentax 67II which I would keep inside the cabin mounted on its tripod ready to go if I should see something worth photographing along the way. Inside the trunk would be the camera's hard case containing 10 of the 11 lenses (the 400mm has its own hard case), in another hard case would be the 810MII and all the lenses for it (9 in my case) in another hard case, and in the fourth case would be all my lenses for the 4x5 and 5x7. The 4x5 and 5x7 backs would be in their padded satchel. All the film holders would be loaded in their cases and a Harrison tent for changing. A tent, sleeping bag and air mattress for camping if that should become necessary (many of my long road trips have been during the winter when the motels are cheap and campgrounds are free). If you have the room, consider taking along developing gear for B&W which you can do in the motel and of course, a couple of empty boxes for the developed and undeveloped sheet film.

All you need to have a successful trip is an adventurous spirit and reasonable weather. Good luck.

Thomas

Here is a new technological spin on trip taking. Online you can actually drive through the park and pan 360 degrees as though you are in your vehicle. Talk about enticing. Wow!

Yes Merg, the extra few thousand miles is child's play when there are images to be had along the way and extensively at the trails end. Plus I can carry backpacking frames, walking sticks, hiking boots and camping gear for the family that may not be accommodated in their luggage. Being able to carry the exposed sheets with me and not going through any airport security is another plus.

We have a list of very reasonable Air BNB locations to select from and the gracious assistance from the various contributors (thank you ALL) have helped tremendously in planning out our exploration agenda. I am already chomping at the bit. Thomas - that 350mm tele Xenar that I purchased from you is going to be put to use on my Intrepid 8x10 Mark II on the trail.

Remember that Autumn hits that area mid to late September. If I were you, I'd fly to Calgary, as it's closer to Banff. Then you can drive up to Jasper. The scenery from Banff to Jasper is amazing. Couldn't advise you where to stay, though. I always camped or slept in my car. Have fun and bring lots of film!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Remember that Autumn hits that area mid to late September. If I were you, I'd fly to Calgary, as it's closer to Banff. Then you can drive up to Jasper. The scenery from Banff to Jasper is amazing. Couldn't advise you where to stay, though. I always camped or slept in my car. Have fun and bring lots of film!
    Going to have the family fly to Calgary and rent a car as the rates on both are great. I will drive the Heavy Chevy and meet them there. We are contemplating an Air BNB nearby as a place to congregate and have our "family time". Lets me change holders if needed (black plastic and duct tape for the bathroom windows if necessary). Having two vehicles is great because I can branch out on my own and let the light take me where it wants and they can do their own thing. Walkie talkies with a 2-3 mile range in these instances is invaluable because it lets us communicate effectively as National Parks are not places where one should expect cell coverage (for a reason). I know I am going to have shell shock when I gas up, but there is not much one can do about it.