Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jasper National Park Fall 2020

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Jasper National Park Fall 2020

Considering a trip to the greater Jasper National Park area in the fall of 2020 with the family. Grew up in Montana and spend much time in Glacier Nat Park but never ventured to the North. Currently living in Aurora, Colorado so I would be driving up and likely flying the family to someplace nearby and letting them rent a car. Two vehicles lets me break away to photograph. 8x10 is my primary format as I have a lightweight Intrepid Mark II and a wooden Canham as wells a lightweight FLM carbon fiber tripod so packing the camera is not a problem. I also would likely bring the Canham 8x20 and 5x7 and maybe even the V11 11x14. I have a pickup to carry it.

Interested in where to fly into, where to stay, where to photograph and assess if the hiking is productive from an esthetic and photographic perspective.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Jasper National Park Fall 2020

We went to Banff-Yoho-Jasper in early September in 2016. We flew to Calgary and drove to Jasper. You may fly to Edmonton, if you only visit Jasper. In Jasper, we visited Maligne lake and had a lake cruise to Spirit Island (One of the iconic photos of Kodak Ektarchrome?), this is the place you must visit and photograph. We had a bad luck when we visited there, it was raining all day alone and I did not have an opportunity to make a LF photo. We also hiked in the Mount Edith Cavell trail in Jasper, which is beautiful and ranked with excellent 5 stars. I can send you our itinerary with sightseeing information to you if you are interested.

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...banff+diversey
    Last edited by diversey; 7-Jan-2020 at 11:26. Reason: Added a link

Did a trip to Banff/Jasper a few years ago in the early season (believe it was April/May). Had a great time and there is definite photographic opportunity seeing the major roadside sights (Lake Louise, Icefields parkway). We wanted to hike but all the trails that wondered away from the major sights were prohibited unless you were hiking in a large group because of bear concerns. I don't know if this is still a concern in Fall but definitely check into the regulations before you back the serious hiking gear. (I don't know many large format photographers who travel in large groups). We saw many black bears btw, and a grizzly, they seemed quite common at that time.

Ray Van Nes

You may also want to spend some time near the Columbia Icefields. Good views from the visitor center which is across the highway from the icefields.

The drive from Jasper to Banff along the the Icefields Parkway is not to be missed. One of the most spectacular drives on the continent.

Someone already mentioned Yoho National Park; Kootenay National Park is also in that vicinity and also quite nice.

Fall is a great time to visit - we did the family vacation there in the fall of 2018. That was our second visit to the area in 3 years and I am eager to return. I really like the views at Moraine Lake in Banff but it is a tourist stop an so it is usually crowded.

A unique place to stay along the Icefields Parkway is Num-Ti-Jah Lodge at Bow Lake. It’s an old wooden structure, and somewhat pricey but with lots of character.

Bob

Michael, my last visit was in the fall --- September. As noted, the drive from Banff to Jasper is beautiful. I drove from CA, but Calgary seems a good choice if flying; Ray Van Nes would know.

My friend Gary Nylander, a member here, has some inspirational work from that area. He lives in West Kelowna, B.C.

Sounds like a fun trip!

http://garynylander.blogspot.com/

Ray Van Nes

Thank you Merg. We have a very good international airport and lots of car rentals.

Thanks to all for your guidance. Based upon the wonderful responses I am greatly enthused about getting this trip scheduled and am looking forward to the opportunity to visually experience this part of the world for myself.

Cheers!

Be sure to see Peyto Lake if time permits.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	peyto3a.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	199356

N. Riley
    http://normanrileyphotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by NER View Post
    Be sure to see Peyto Lake if time permits.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	peyto3a.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	199356

N. Riley
    http://normanrileyphotography.com
    I hope to make it there. Great photography by the way....