Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DIY darkroom sink

Re: DIY darkroom sink

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    2'x8' sink. 3/4" plywood painted with RUST-OLEUM RESTORE 4X Deck Coating. Paint is 4X thicken than normal paint. Repaint the inside of the sink every six months, so it looks new most of the time. After 5+ coats of the thick paint, a large graduated glass Cylinder can tip over and not break, wasn't so with my previous SS sink. Still have to install a small "computer" fan or two behind the print drying screens to circulate the air over and under the screens.
    Nice sink, I love the pool noodle idea. I haven't gotten around to any drying racks or clothes line for hanging RC prints.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Will you have it on a set of legs, the Sawhorses or another platform? Have seen some good sinks put on desks or tables that are nice and solid. A friend's darkroom has his 12 foot sink on two surplus Government desks. The big, heavy metal type from Army surplus. Cost him $10 each and a few friends to help get them into his darkroom. Bonus is the storage space for chemicals and supplies they give him. He did cut some 2x4 pieces and trimmed for size so he got a slope from one end to the drain at the other. He has been using it now for more than 20 years and still going strong.

On top a wood tray similar to yours, padded for quiet and heat control for water bath use with trays.

Being a longer sink he plumbed in two spigots, one near each end.
    I actually have a picture at the beginning of the stand for the sink.

Quote Originally Posted by jtomasella View Post
    Nice sink, I love the pool noodle idea. I haven't gotten around to any drying racks or clothes line for hanging RC prints.
    Wish I could say the "Pool Noodle" was my idea, but alas wasn't. Wife's daughter had two kids and when they were small, the hearth of their fireplace was a raised sheet of slate which was a "clear and present danger" for her kids bumping their heads into when they were crawling around. She used the Pool Noodle" to cover the edges of the slate. Figured it would work for the front of my darkroom's sink after several times whacking my forearm on the top edge of the plywood. Recommend it 100%... now routinely rest my forearms on it when working at the sink.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    2'x8' sink. 3/4" plywood painted with RUST-OLEUM RESTORE 4X Deck Coating. Paint is 4X thicken than normal paint. Repaint the inside of the sink every six months, so it looks new most of the time. After 5+ coats of the thick paint, a large graduated glass Cylinder can tip over and not break, wasn't so with my previous SS sink. Still have to install a small "computer" fan or two behind the print drying screens to circulate the air over and under the screens.
    Looks nice Greg, is there a flat white in that paint that you know of?
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

Looks terrific Greg! Ditto the pool noodle.

Searching "Rustoleum Restore" online, I see that there are a lot of products. Can you be specific about which you used? Did you use a primer?

I also ran across mention of the paint surface flaking over time. Your policy of periodic "dry dock" repairs probably helped against that issue.

Quote Originally Posted by William Whitaker View Post
    Looks terrific Greg! Ditto the pool noodle.

Searching "Rustoleum Restore" online, I see that there are a lot of products. Can you be specific about which you used? Did you use a primer?

I also ran across mention of the paint surface flaking over time. Your policy of periodic "dry dock" repairs probably helped against that issue.
    Color on lid is "Granite" Absolutely no problems with flaking. Paint is amazingly seemingly odorless, but I still run, on low, the exit fan in the darkroom overnight after repainting the sink.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sinkpaint.jpg  

Thanks Greg!