Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
One of the things that makes this forum great is that people of experience are willing to speak plainly. One of the things I like about forums in general is that I don’t have to take the advice offered to me even when 1.) I ask for it, or 2.) it’s correct.

OP, congratulations on coming back from cancer. I had cancer last year, too, and before and after the resulting (entirely successful) surgery, realized that I needed to revise my thinking. My goal now is to die young—as late as possible. I’m back to reasonable fitness—not where I was 20 years ago when I did the Ironman—but pretty good.

That said, the older I get, the more I pay attention to altitude. I travel constantly and get to calibrate my understanding of altitude effects. The advice you are receiving may not be necessary, but it’s still worth considering and comes with experience and good intentions.

I was at the South Rim a couple of years ago before, during, and after snow. I can’t show the images (they weren’t large format), but snow is magic in the desert. I used a 24-105 zoom in a 24x36 camera, and needed both ends. That would be like your 155 on the short end, but is much longer than any reasonable lens for 8x10 on the long end. The moral to that story is that there are photos to be made with whatever lens you have.

Now, enjoy your trip—I’m envious. And enjoy the forum, and for that I recommend assuming the best intentions and responding with the best intentions.

Rick “one of your friendly moderators” Denney
I will have a long digital I have only four nights this trip and with 8x10 getting even four shots in a day is success. I know there is reason to bring a long lens. However I am limited by Carry-on weights for this trip.