Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Advice Re : First ever visit to South Rim of GrandCanyon in January

Need Advice Re : First ever visit to South Rim of GrandCanyon in January

I was postponed by cancer last year and this year I AM GOING. I will be stayin at ElTorvar and have my Kodak Magnesium 8x10 with 240mm Sironar and a 155 Grandagon. Carbon fibre manfroto and 26 sheets of Velvia and Provia, some Ilford Delta 100 too. Where are good place to shoot frmand also must be accessible. The Hermit Rd is open. WHat can I expect for weather? Where are the " best" places to go to. I don't mind doing the "typical" shots, in fact I relish making my own 8x10's of famous views.

Re: Need Advice Re : First ever visit to South Rim of GrandCanyon in January

Cold on top and far warmer on bottom

Snow

Please don't fall in

However January was my favorite time to go there, far less maddening crowds
    Tin Can

Just about anywhere along the rim makes for nice photos, especially if you get some beautiful light and, maybe, some weather. All around the Watchtower is nice, too, IMO. Have fun and make some great photographs!

It’s hard to go wrong there.
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Cold on top and far warmer on bottom

Snow

Please don't fall in

However January was my favorite time to go there, far less maddening crowds
    Warmer -- but I spent a week down in the Canyon in a January and only when the sun was on me (rare) was it above freezing and anything close to something one call 'warm'! LOL!

Just hit all the pull-outs and have fun!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

First, as a Torontonian (i.e. acclimatized to essentially sea level), I'd advise that you ask in advance whether El Tovar can place you in a ground floor room. There's no elevator in the building, and an 8x10 Kodak -- even a magnesium one -- might be quite a chore if you, like I did last August, end up on the third floor.

Second, although it depends on how one "sees," I've found that something in the 450mm to 480mm range is best suited to photographing from the rim. Billowing monsoonal clouds in summer break that "rule" for me, but you won't find any in January.

My best shots so far have been a vertical at Mather Point and a horizontal at Desert View. In the former case, go down the overlook stairs and then right into the small cul-de-sac. Frame eastward and exclude railing and people at the left edge. For Desert View, go almost all the way out on the small projecting railed pathway. Frame northward and use front fall / rear rise to keep the lower left "rock pile" from exhibiting excessive keystoning.

Finally, hope for a good snowfall followed by late morning clearing the next day. Good luck, and enjoy.
    Last edited by Sal Santamaura; 5-Jan-2020 at 17:28.

I don't agree with the lens choice you recommend, I will have my 240mm and 155mm. To me the point is to record the expanse. I have already spoken with some other very well respected Large Format Photographers on my choice of lenses and they have agreed with the 240mm and 155mm. AS to the negative about the stairs, That seems you are being sort of negative. My health is fine and I am robust. I also have a backpack for the camera The Airports are much more demanding than a simple three floor walk up. If it si too much then I will store the camera with the Concierge or in my vehicle. Or if needed I will hire a local as a sherpa. As to the Altitude issue , that is a non starter. I have experience hiking mountains. I know how to deal with this change in Altitude. In saying that I also recognize that the north rim would be higher. I really think you are trying to throw a wet towel on my adventure and that you dreadfully underestimate my present health and physical condition. Frankly I will not fall for your subtle anti-Canadian Bull. Now stop being a we towel. I will do it my way and that will yield some magnificent shots which I intend to have blown up to at least 8 feet wide.

While I shoot 4x5 I go for 84 degree field of view, ie,75mm

PowellPoint for sunrise, and a couple west of there. Yavapai, Mather is ok, Yaki Poi t, Lipon for sunset.

I just spent Christmas thete, 23-26 Dec.

If you are up to it. Walk east or west from El Tovar also g the Rim Trail. You will be presented with images you don't normally see. Look at my images of the Canyon. Pm me if you want lore info. I go there 4 or 5 times a year, South rim, North rim, Toroweep.

I will write some more shortly.

I'm 25% Canadian, so here's my opinion .

Go wide and get in close for an interesting foreground element. Earlier in the morning is better. I slept in my car in the Desert View parking lot before shooting this:

Be creative too, and think outside the box:

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome