Thread: Omega D-2 Enlarger

Omega D-2 Enlarger

Good people,

I have an Omega D-2 enlarger, cold light head, negative carriers for 35mm, 120 and 4x5, plus lenses for same. If interested, I'd be happy to donate to a good home. I live in the San Francisco Bay area, and it would be great if someone was interested in picking it up. Thoughts? Comments?

2/2/20: Thanks all. The enlarger and peripherals has been given away. If I read the rules right, if I delete my post, the rest of the discussion goes away as well (so I won't do that).
    Last edited by rwacheson; 2-Feb-2020 at 08:07. Reason: Given away!

Re: Omega D-2 Enlarger

Ask the folks at Looking Glass.

I am writing from Madison, Wisconsin.

Recently I was gifted with an Omega D2 enlarger with dichroic head.

I have run into a setback regarding the enlarger; it needs a new elevation shaft assembly and counterbalance springs.

The good news is there is a company in Canada that specializes in enlargers and I was able to purchase both pieces; (I did not know about you at the time I made these purchases) the

http://store.khbphotografix.com/Elev...Enlargers.html

AND the http://store.khbphotografix.com/Coun...gers-Used.html

The issue is I am terrified of doing the installation myself, even if instructions are provided.

I also need to move the eccentric rod from the front of the enlarger to the back.

In order to do that I need a C-clamp or ViseGrip which I do not own:

“It will not matter what order you replace the parts in, but from a safety stand point before removing the CB springs, have the enlarger at or near the top of the column and secure in place with something more than the lock knob. When the CB springs are removed the carriage will be unsupported. I suggest you clamp a C-clamp or ViseGrip etc to the column to support the carriage before you remove the CB springs.”

Do you know anyone in the Madison area who owns an Omega D2 enlarger with dichroic head? Presumably, even though it is from the early 70’s, at one time they had to assemble it.

Alternatively, someone outside of Madison who would be willing to entertain this project for a fee?

Thank you in advance for your attention in this matter.

Sincerely,

Christopher Frank
    PS Shipping your enlarger no doubt would be prohibitive would it not?

Robert Bowring

This should not be that hard to do yourself. It may be easier if you remove the dichroic head. It is probably held on with a few screws or bolts. To replace the springs raise the enlarger head as far as it goes. You can buy C clamps at any hardware store. I put one on each of the rails just under the enlarger head. Remove and replace the springs one at a time. Do not remove both springs at the same time. Remove one spring and replace it with the new one then do the same for the other spring. I am not quite sure what shaft or shafts you need to move or why you would need to move them. But like the springs do them one at a time. On my D-II enlarger the shafts are held on by a screw on each end. Remove those screws and shafts should be able to be removed. One of the best things about these enlargers is that they are mechanically simple and are easy to work on. There is no reason to be "terrified". Someone put this enlarger together when it was new and there is no reason to believe you can't do a few simple repairs.

Wear safety glasses
    Tin Can

I think I might have got the last d2 Harry Taylor refurbished. You could tell buy the way he pack and shipped it he knew his business. I leave it set up for 4 x 5. I bought a DII in so rough condition. Maybe 100$. Felt guilty paying so little. Took it completely apart, and degreased, and repainted, and reassembled with new hardware and lube. I would never touch a garage door spring—Dad said they would take your head off. These were easy to deal with. Propping the carriage allows you to hook things together without a load on the spring. As Tinman suggests, eye protection great idea and leather gloves couldn’t hurt but it was a fun project. I am not mechanically oriented either.

Best of luck and buy more film

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Bowring View Post
    This should not be that hard to do yourself. It may be easier if you remove the dichroic head. It is probably held on with a few screws or bolts. To replace the springs raise the enlarger head as far as it goes. You can buy C clamps at any hardware store. I put one on each of the rails just under the enlarger head. Remove and replace the springs one at a time. Do not remove both springs at the same time. Remove one spring and replace it with the new one then do the same for the other spring. I am not quite sure what shaft or shafts you need to move or why you would need to move them. But like the springs do them one at a time. On my D-II enlarger the shafts are held on by a screw on each end. Remove those screws and shafts should be able to be removed. One of the best things about these enlargers is that they are mechanically simple and are easy to work on. There is no reason to be "terrified". Someone put this enlarger together when it was new and there is no reason to believe you can't do a few simple repairs.
    Dear Mr. Bowring,

Thank you for the encouragement, much appreciated. I note that you live in Wauwatosa. My wife and I just returned from a mid week trip to Milwaukee. According to Google maps you are one hour away.

Thank you too for the suggestion of removing and replacing the springs one at a time. This is excellent new information.

I was told to raise the enlarger head as far as it goes so as not to stretch out the springs. Apparently they are each "8 pound springs" capable of losing a finger, so that did little to assuage my fear level.

Regarding moving the shafts, based upon pictures I sent, the reply was as follows:

"You will need to reverse the position of the 2 rollers. The flange needs to be between the outside edge of the girder and the side plate of the carriage. There is nothing to hold them in position where they are now. They will simply move on the shaft and come off the edge of the girder. I am not sure but I think in the second photo I see that the rod is cross drilled. If this is the eccentric rod the work you have done would have greatly affected the enlarger alignment. Also I would recommend you reverse the position of the 2 rods. The eccentric rod should be at the upper rear and the standard rod in the lower front position. This will make the unit easier to align.

It is not a matter that the eccentric rod is in the “wrong” place. But rather that it can be installed for either of the two shafts with the wheels and the one at the rear is better. The eccentric rod is used to align the enlarger. Rotating it will cause the wheels to move in & out and thus tip the enlarger carriage front to back. It is best installed on the back in the upper position with the 2 wheels and where the counterbalance springs hook. In this position aligning the enlarger will have minimal effect on the gear engagement. Early D2 enlargers did have the eccentric in the front but later it was shifted to the rear. I always move it during repair/refurbishing and recommend the same to customers.”

You exude confidence, something I am sorely lacking; would you be willing to do this, for a fee of course, which would include your driving time, and be the hero in this scenario?

If your schedule will simply not allow for time to do this and/or if you prefer to not take on this project, I totally understand.

From KHB Photographix in Canada, I was able to order:

A Schneider Componon-S 50mm f2.8 lens (used)

Retaining Ring -39mm Leica thread

D2 Lens Mount – Flat (used)

Lens Disc – Flat, 39mm Hole (used)

D Carrier – 35mm Roll Film (26 x 37mm)

Quartz Lamp – 221/2V 250W, Reflector

Lamp – 120V 6W, DC Bayonet

D Carrier – 6 x 9 cm (used) (glassless)

Omega D-2/D2-XL Revised Enlarger Manual.

(The bulb has a 50 hour lifespan, so I wanted to start new)

I at least swapped out the two bulbs!

The enlarger has a 135mm 5.6 Rodenstock Rodagon lens mounted.

Your mission, should you accept it, would be to remove the 135, put together the 50mm and install it. I would like to print my earliest 35mm work and then the 6 x 9 film..

Parenthetically, I found Kevin at KHB very honest; I wanted to purchase the Omega Light Multiplier, which according to Omega, increases the light by 75% if you are printing 35mm, but he dissuaded me from doing so even though he could have told me to buy it.

Thank you again.

Christopher Frank
    frank.christopher@earthlink.net