Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Long throw cable release - Betax shutter

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: Long throw cable release - Betax shutter

I had this problem a few years back with a 14" Wollensak Veritar in a #5 Alphax shutter. At first I thought that there was something wrong with the shutter and took it to a local photo store that also repaired shutters. Nothing was wrong with the shutter - just needed a "long throw" cable release to trigger it. They had a drawer full of used releases and we tried several but none had a long enough throw. They we tried a new release and it worked! It's been years but I believe this is the one: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ease_with.html

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Slightly off topic. I'm starting 4x5 LF. Which type cable releases are recommended? Length? Locking? Thanks.
    I like Gepe Pros with the Zeiss disc lock because they'll fire all my shutters, and I work with an assortment of lenses in both old and new shutters.

Regrettably, after selecting an unsuitable cable release before leaving on a wilderness experience, I've learned to standardize.

My sole non-Gepe is a Minette and reserved for my smaller formats, but thankfully it's bright red and unmistakable.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    I like Gepe Pros with the Zeiss disc lock because they'll fire all my shutters, and I work with an assortment of lenses in both old and new shutters.

Regrettably, after selecting an unsuitable cable release before leaving on a wilderness experience, I've learned to standardize.

My sole non-Gepe is a Minette and reserved for my smaller formats, but thankfully it's bright red and unmistakable.
    The lenses I'll be buying are either Schneider or Rodenstock with Copal 0 shutters. How do you know which release to get? Recommendations?
    Is this the Gepe Pro you're referring too? Would this work with my lenses?
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...op+Nav-Search=

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post

My Gepe’s won’t fire an Ilex 5, I had to resort to some old one I found on eBay. It’s in the mail so fingers crossed this damn thing works. The plunger looks much longer than my models at home. I literally sat at my desk and plugged in 12 releases and none worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The lenses I'll be buying are either Schneider or Rodenstock with Copal 0 shutters. How do you know which release to get? Recommendations?
    All Gepe Pro releases will work with a Copal 0, 1 or 3. Also with Compur and most Prontors.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dodphotography View Post
    My Gepe’s won’t fire an Ilex 5, I had to resort to some old one I found on eBay. It’s in the mail so fingers crossed this damn thing works. The plunger looks much longer than my models at home. I literally sat at my desk and plugged in 12 releases and none worked.
    I just measured the plunger for the #5 Alphax: 3/4" or 19.05mm. My two #5 Ilexs' will fire on 1/2" or 12.7mm as will all my other 4x5 and 8x10 lenses - Copal 1,3 and Compur 3 - and MF and 35mm. I use an electronic shutter release for the 645NII and F6.

Thomas

Wow, the responses and help are great!

I found a release that should work - a vintage Prontor branded release that has about 3/4" throw or a bit more.

Ordered this morning and should be here by Friday.

Thank you all for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by dodphotography View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Interesting! I haven't had a problem with mine.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

That's the one. A Minette should work too. Copals aren't demanding as vintage Universals and Wollys

Years ago went to our local photo store (remember them?) and compared their assortment of shutter release cords to find the one(s) that had the longest throw. Bought 3, should have bought more. Lost one which now resides on the bottom of the Hubbard River in the Granville State Forest in western Mass... Now down to two. Unfortunately no brand name on them. Their throw not "long" enough to fire off a Sinar Copal shutter, but with "throw" to spare when on my Betax No. 5 shutter. FYI: half of my shutter release cords will not fire my Betax No. 5. Think my shutter releases are Gepes, but not 100% sure.