Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 enlarger

Eric Woodbury

Re: 4x5 enlarger

Focal length depends on your enlargement size. I make small enlargements, so I typically use the longer lengths. Really like the 180mm for 8x10s from 4x5. 150mm is fine too.

My friend fished his complete D2 out of the Art Dept.'s dumpster at college.
    I had to buy my D-II for $20 without a lens.
    Some guys have all the luck LOL!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Eric Woodbury

John, basically where both my Beseler CB-7s came from. One from UCLA that was fished by an electrician clearing out the geology lab and the other from Cal State Fresno by someone bidding on Rolleiflexs who didn't want the enlargers to go to dump. I was offered a room full of Beseler 23s by a teacher getting a new room for cooking class that had been the photo class / darkroom. I have the feeling now that most of this type of activity is past. Schools either are keeping what they have or have already moved on to digi. Tragic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2363.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	199238Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2363.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	199239
    Testing to see which is right side up. Well here is the dry area, I picked up the Beseler 45mxt today. He said it had a lens board but it actually has a turret which is a bonus. Everything works. I printed out a manual so I have some reading to do. I chose to leave the table open incase I ever do a really large print, it has the option so why not. I have my eye on a glass carrier and lens, just waiting on the auction to get to the end. Hopefully I will be making some prints soon. It will be nice to see the pictures on the wall.

Drew Wiley

Another problem with shipping is that sometimes things like old wiring which have been reliable without incident for decades suddenly break during the trauma of shipping. This shouldn't be a problem with a chassis; but old power supplies and colorheads are certainly susceptible to this kind of damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Another problem with shipping is that sometimes things like old wiring which have been reliable without incident for decades suddenly break during the trauma of shipping. This shouldn't be a problem with a chassis; but old power supplies and colorheads are certainly susceptible to this kind of damage.
    Everything seem pretty solid. I wiped lubricant on the gear track with my finger so it wasn't super wet. adjusted the carriage front to back and side to side. It was off both ways. I think the gears were off by 1 tooth also (did those first). Everything is now smooth and square. Ordered print paper this morning and hooked up the drain on the sink. Just have to bid on a carrier and lens and I'll be in business.

I had to adjust mine when I brought it home, it to had come off its tracks. For a 4x5 carrier you might look for a negaflat they have this mechanism that pulls the film tight so the negative won't pop. I wasn't aware of them until I needed a 4x5 carrier. They usually go for between $50-100 depending on condition.

Agree a nice condition NegaFlat is a good thing to have

I found NOS fairly easily
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Tymon View Post
    I had to adjust mine when I brought it home, it to had come off its tracks. For a 4x5 carrier you might look for a negaflat they have this mechanism that pulls the film tight so the negative won't pop. I wasn't aware of them until I needed a 4x5 carrier. They usually go for between $50-100 depending on condition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Agree a nice condition NegaFlat is a good thing to have

I found NOS fairly easily
    Is this the same a glass carrier?

Quote Originally Posted by jtomasella View Post
    Is this the same a glass carrier?
    No!