Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 4x5 enlarger

Re: 4x5 enlarger

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Don't buy enlargers on eBay

CL will be way better, look for a complete darkroom, which may come with many necessities

Use Search all Craigslist https://www.searchcraigslist.org/

I prefer Beseler

Be ready to jump on any good deal, don't delay a minute

I gave away 5 Omegas some time ago and 1 Beseler MX, I wish I had not...
    Haha there was actually one to pop up for $500 last week 2 enlargers 8' sink trays etc. was gone as fast as it popped up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Don't buy enlargers on eBay

CL will be way better, look for a complete darkroom, which may come with many necessities

Use Search all Craigslist https://www.searchcraigslist.org/

I prefer Beseler

Be ready to jump on any good deal, don't delay a minute

I gave away 5 Omegas some time ago and 1 Beseler MX, I wish I had not...
    And don't ask anyone to ship an enlarger, most sellers won't pack it right anyway...

Beseler 45's column are complicated to assemble correctly if taken apart, and if people don't pack stuff like condensers etc correctly they will be damaged...

Also, post an ad on C/L that you are looking... There are many in people's basements etc that have been there for a long time they would love to get rid of...

Good luck!!!

Steve K

Les

No idea where you are (NJ ain't that big), but saw a nice Beseler 4x5 in Philly....tho not my price :>).

Les

In your search, if you were to get a D2, you would want a D2V. With a D2V, one can adjust the condensers for different formats. (i.e. 4x5, 6x9, 6x7, 6x6, 35mm). With the D2 on the EBay listing, you need a different set of condensers for each film size.

What you've heard regarding inconsistency pertains to cold light heads. (The listing was for a condenser head, which don't need a warmup time.) I began with a D2V condenser enlarger and used it for quite a long time and obtained nice results. But once I began using "cold-light", I never went back. The D2V condenser head itself sits on a shelf, and I've adapted it to my current enlarger. But, I've not ever used it.

At one point, I used an Aristo cold-light tube head, and it was indeed inconsistent. Ansel Adams had some warm up recommendations in his books for this, but they weren't effective. Frankly, it's not worth the effort.

I currently use an enlarger with a color diffusion head, and I like that a lot. It gives the same effect as a cold-light tube head, but without the inconsistencies. It works well for multi-contrast papers. (For greater than normal contrast, add magenta. For less than normal contrast, add yellow.) If you run across a decent enlarger with a color head THAT WORKS, consider it.

You can always begin with a condenser head, read about the different technologies, and then consider something more advanced.

For all aspects of black and white film, consider getting the three Ansel Adams books, The Camera, The Negative, and The Print. Get those published in the early 80's. (Preferably hardbound.) They are masterful. For example, he discusses the differences between condenser and "cold-light" enlarging. And, he discusses all other aspects of B&W, developing, exposing the negative, printing the negative, filtration, hardware lenses, meters, etc., etc., etc.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    In your search, if you were to get a D2, you would want a D2V. With a D2V, one can adjust the condensers for different formats. (i.e. 4x5, 6x9, 6x7, 6x6, 35mm). With the D2 on the EBay listing, you need a different set of condensers for each film size.

What you've heard regarding inconsistency pertains to cold light heads. (The listing was for a condenser head, which don't need a warmup time.) I began with a D2V condenser enlarger and used it for quite a long time and obtained nice results. But once I began using "cold-light", I never went back. The D2V condenser head itself sits on a shelf, and I've adapted it to my current enlarger. But, I've not ever used it.

At one point, I used an Aristo cold-light tube head, and it was indeed inconsistent. Ansel Adams had some warm up recommendations in his books for this, but they weren't effective. Frankly, it's not worth the effort.

I currently use an enlarger with a color diffusion head, and I like that a lot. It gives the same effect as a cold-light tube head, but without the inconsistencies. It works well for multi-contrast papers. (For greater than normal contrast, add magenta. For less than normal contrast, add yellow.) If you run across a decent enlarger with a color head THAT WORKS, consider it.

You can always begin with a condenser head, read about the different technologies, and then consider something more advanced.

For all aspects of black and white film, consider getting the three Ansel Adams books, The Camera, The Negative, and The Print. Get those published in the early 80's. (Preferably hardbound.) They are masterful. For example, he discusses the differences between condenser and "cold-light" enlarging. And, he discusses all other aspects of B&W, developing, exposing the negative, printing the negative, filtration, hardware lenses, meters, etc., etc., etc.
    I've read the first two Ansel books. I'm definitely going to buy the 3rd one soon. Thanks everyone for some clarity, the google rabbit whole is deep for enlargers.

Quote Originally Posted by jtomasella View Post
    the google rabbit whole is deep for enlargers.
    Google is only good if you already know the answer. The second dark ages is already here. I'd recommend a book on photography. There were many published and not all burned yet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2359.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	199129

Going to pick this up on Saturday for $150. Just need to get a negative carrier and lens. For the lens should I be getting a 135mm or 150mm? for 4x5. Thank you for the suggestion of WTB on Craigslist. And I have no idea why the forum keeps spinning my photos.

I have both never use the 150 always the 135

Be careful moving it. I would take the head off, wrap it in a clean lint free towel and but it on the back seat floor.

Also make sure the electric motor height adjustment works, they usually do, and last long, but parts are expensive.
    Your fotos must be cell phone direct, flip them upright in an editor

Get the best lens found first in either FL

Once home check all fittings and stage to base alignment

OE was a stick tried in 4 corners.. Find a manual online

Quote Originally Posted by jtomasella View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2359.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	199129

Going to pick this up on Saturday for $150. Just need to get a negative carrier and lens. For the lens should I be getting a 135mm or 150mm? for 4x5. Thank you for the suggestion of WTB on Craigslist. And I have no idea why the forum keeps spinning my photos.
    Tin Can

That enlarger can use a 150mm well, as it can project on wall, or on a special table lower level.

Read this https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ssis_Only.html
    Tin Can