Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Starting 4x5 - Which film?

Re: Starting 4x5 - Which film?

Hi Alan. That is what I thought.

Do you have a good working relationship with your lab? If so, perhaps they will do plus/minus for you. In that case, you will need to mark the holders in the field and transfer the film to marked boxes (+ or -) for the lab. Best method for you is #3 above.

Has your camera arrived?

I wouldn't worry about it, unless there are extremes. In his newsletter, Fred Picker talked about comparing negatives developed normally and those given plus development for the same scene The normally developed negatives required a harder grade of paper, but once that was done, he didn't see differences between them. Mind you, this is for large format negatives not enlarged very much. My experience matches his. I rarely need plus (or minus) development. I wouldn't even consider the hassle unless is was in the + or - 2 range. In those cases, I might develop more to increase contrast, but in the lowering contrast case, I'd avoid minus development and use 2-bath Pyrocat or SLIMT.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Drew Wiley

One more reason to ignore what Picker said.

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    Hi Alan. That is what I thought.

Do you have a good working relationship with your lab? If so, perhaps they will do plus/minus for you. In that case, you will need to mark the holders in the field and transfer the film to marked boxes (+ or -) for the lab. Best method for you is #3 above.

Has your camera arrived?
    Yes. I have received the Chmaonix 45H-1 camera and film and loaded up 5 holders and shot one picture. Trying to figure out tilts on my Chamoix which has asymetric swings and tilts. I was trying to shoot something outside at around 7 feet but wanted a range of about 5-14'. So I focued the against the line and then tilted down the front to get the image in focus at the other line. Not sure it that was correct. The back has asymmetric swings tilts also, I believe.

Then I stopped down to F22 (at 1 sec) which according to my DOF APP give me 5.21'-10.65' for my 150mm at .1 COC. Question: How does the tilt affect the DOF? And vice versa?

So I labelled the dark slide for that picture with a peal-off arrow signature marker that you stick on contracts for people to sign show where to affix your signature. Labelled it #1 E. How do you mark up your holders?

PS Yes the labs I've worked with will push and pull film for $1 or $2 more on a roll of 120. DOn;t know offhand what they charge on sheet film. The lab I;ve worked with process Tmax 100 film in Xtol. But they will use other formulas but with a high $50 setup charge. So I'll keep it standard for now.