Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Starting 4x5 - Which film?

Re: Starting 4x5 - Which film?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, I can see where the stitching was done. There's a line from top to bottom in about the middle of the page. The exposure looks lighter on the left side. https://www.largeformatphotography.i...=1#post1530406

Are there other programs available to stitch using a scan from the V600 of a 4x5? Which method do you use?
    The problem might be auto settings on the scanner. If you're scanning different sections of the same negative, the scanner program will adjust based on the portion of the negative it's looking at. So it comes up with a different exposures. Then when you stitch, the two sides don;t match.

Try setting the scanner to make no adjustments during the scan at all. No sharpening, no exposure, nothing. Then either stitch before making changes in LR. Or make exactly the same changes on both sides in LR and then stitch. See what happens.

How do you keep track of which film is in which holder (assuming you use different films)? Which exposed film was for which exposure?

Most film holders have small white area(s) that you can write notes on--very tiny notes. Make sure you write in pencil or something that can be erased. Another option is to paint numbers on your film holders and enter notes in a notebook. Whatever you do don't use tape in areas where the holder needs to seat in the camera back or make notes on the dark slide with a white grease pencil. Yeah, I've seen that done and it mucks up the felt in the holder's light trap.

Foamer

How do you keep track of which film is in which holder (assuming you use different films)? Which exposed film was for which exposure?
    I use an inch long piece of colored tape. For FP4+ I use blue tape with a big black "F" written on it. For HP5+ I use a piece of green tape with a big black "H" written on it. For Ektar 100 I have Yellow tape squares with a big "E" written on it. I can tell at a glance what's in the holder. I am careful to change the tape if I load with different film. This system has proven fool proof for me and is very fast in the field. The tape is only something like 3/4 inch by 1/2 inch in size, and placed in a recessed area on the top of the holder, usually in a corner.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

At my age, I have trouble keeping similar pairs of white socks together. So please bear with me.

So after you shoot let's say three holder's worth of 6 sheets. Different film. PLus even with the same film, you have different exposure settings which require different pushing and pulling or whatever. You take them out in the tent or darkroom. How do you keep track which of the 6 sheets are which? The holder may be marked with film type and numbers. But the film isn;t.

How do you keep track which of the 6 sheets are which? The holder may be marked with film type and numbers. But the film isn;t.
    Yes it is, if you have made a notch in the flap, that you open to insert the film. This notch shows up as a dark V in the area above the image.
    Love to show you an example on a film holder, but they are all loaded.
    Here are some examples, of what it would look like on exposed 4x5 neg, at the upper edge of the film:
    V = film holder number U = notch in film informing which side of the emulsion is up

---------V---------------------------------------U------- = Film holder 1
    ---------V-V-V----------------------------------U------- = Film Holder 3
    ---------V-V----------V-------------------------U------- = Film Holder 7
    ---------V-V-V-V-----V------------------------- U------ = Film Holder 9
    -----------------------V-V-----------------------U------ = Film Holder 10

All it takes is a triangular file.
    On underexposed negatives, the tell tale will be there, but very faint.
    Hope this helps.

OH .. important point forgot to explain... the notch has to be placed on the part of the film holder flap, that is next to the film, below the edge where the dark slide slides into, and does not get cut into that area!!!! So with the film slide in, there is no exposure to the film surface but when the dark slide is taken out, that area will be available to the light to expose the small V area that will show up on the developed film.

Foamer

At my age, I have trouble keeping similar pairs of white socks together. So please bear with me.

So after you shoot let's say three holder's worth of 6 sheets. Different film. PLus even with the same film, you have different exposure settings which require different pushing and pulling or whatever. You take them out in the tent or darkroom. How do you keep track which of the 6 sheets are which? The holder may be marked with film type and numbers. But the film isn;t.
    I have simplified my work flow to avoid as many problems as possible. I normally carry three speeds with me: (1) FP4+ ISO 125 (2) HP5+ ISO 400 (3) Lane dry plates ISO 2. I have four or five holders of FP4+, and one holder each of the others. This gives me a good spread. I never use a dark tent in the field--no need. I just come prepared. If I push a film it's almost always the HP5 pushed to ISO 800 and normally I know in advance I'm going to do that. (I shoot it at night that way.) I use a red sticky dot like you find to price garage sales and place that on the dark slide after I've reinserted it after exposing. I very rarely shoot film from other than it's rated speed. I do my best to simplify my work flow, not complicate it.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

PLus even with the same film, you have different exposure settings which require different pushing and pulling or whatever. The holder may be marked with film type and numbers. But the film isn;t.
    You have several choices. The obvious is to develop by inspection using a green light (DBI). Another method is to mark your holders in the field for plus or minus development, place in similarly marked boxes in the dark, and proceed with development. A third method is to meter carefully and use time and temperature.

I should have clarified that I don;t have a dark room. All my film will be sent out.