Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm looking for a "thing", something to hold my lenses with Technica boards

I'm looking for a "thing", something to hold my lenses with Technica boards

Hello and happy new year.

I'm looking for a lens holder type thing. Any suggestions? DIY? I think 90% of my lenses are attached to Linhof/Technica board. I think they are 4x4? I'm not sure.

Anyone have DIY alternatives? Or something already made with slots? I'm open to ideas.
    --

Re: I'm looking for a "thing", something to hold my lenses with Technica boards

Something like this was actually posted just a few days ago. If you don't mind having it 3d printed, it might be worth checking out:
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4070526

Quote Originally Posted by fatherdougal View Post
    Something like this was actually posted just a few days ago. If you don't mind having it 3d printed, it might be worth checking out:
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4070526
    OH DANG!!! That required all caps.
    Now I just need a local (cost effective) place that can print those. I LOVE THE NAMES on the cover.
    --

So wait, I know not everyone has a 3d printer so how are people doing these? Friend, or a service but if service, I'm sure not worth getting one offs, need to print a whole bunch to make it cost effective?

I have NO IDEA what places charge to make things from "thingverse"
    --

I use an Orvis "safe passage" reel case. It currently has 11 lenses in it. It seems that it is no longer available, but you may be able to find a used one somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ericantonio View Post
    So wait, I know not everyone has a 3d printer so how are people doing these? Friend, or a service but if service, I'm sure not worth getting one offs, need to print a whole bunch to make it cost effective?

I have NO IDEA what places charge to make things from "thingverse"
    There are quite a few places around the net that will do 3d prints. Generally it's not that cost-effective to have things commercially printed and counter-intuitively, less so having a bunch of them printed. Comparing prices at places like 3dhub or craftcloud it seems to come out to $25-30 a box (more or less no matter how many you print since it takes a lot of time but the material is not that expensive). Now, I do know that some libraries offer makerspaces, but I'm not sure how popular it would be to spend a couple of days printing a load of lens boxes It would probably make more sense, economically at least, to look something like a reel case as suggested by Sanford unless one is able to print at cost.

go on eBay and do a search for:
    Partition Folding Flexible Padded Camera Lens Insert Bag Dividers Case for DSLR
    I use one to hold my lenses that are on Sinar boards, case can be easily adapted to hold lenses on Linhof/Technica boards because the partitions are held with Velcro and can be easily reconfigured.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    go on eBay and do a search for:
    Partition Folding Flexible Padded Camera Lens Insert Bag Dividers Case for DSLR
    I use one to hold my lenses that are on Sinar boards, case can be easily adapted to hold lenses on Linhof/Technica boards because the partitions are held with Velcro and can be easily reconfigured.
    Huh?! Great tip! This may work also. 10 bucks!

I am digging the Thingverse site. Looks like people are 3d printing Linhof boards instead of CNC machining them.

Maybe someone can 3D print a Universal Iris holder or funky ass retaining rings for those old lenses.
    --

It's amazing what's getting 3D printed. I had a meeting last year with the folks at Invisalign who make the clear plastic tooth straighteners. They get replaced every two weeks and act progressively to move individual teeth. They're 3D printed in sheets in a huge 3D printing operation in Mexico - they claim it's that world's largest. They print them in such a way thy the part that slips over the "target" tooth are twisted a tiny bit and so put stress on the right place to tweak the tooth alignment.

I tend to buy decent, sturdy, reasonably-priced (okay, cheap) bags/packs on line and make interior padding/compartments from closed-cell packing/padding foam (scavenge from packages received or buy in bulk from ULine). Outfits like Rothco or Sportsman's Guide sell sturdy canvas US Military spec "tool bags" in a couple of handy sizes (regular & long) in a variety of color schemes. Masonite or similar from Home DePot, etc. in 1/8" gauge and some duct tape/Liquid Nails make a sturdy frame & either the closed-cell foam (not stryo, not foam rubber!) or the sticky-backed felt "furniture savers" make padded liners and the slots where the lens boards slide in. Technika boards are 99mmx96mm & allowing 1/8" would be a snug fit. The final product works on the inside, doesn't look "valuable" on the outside - doesn't have that "steal me" look. Sportsman's G also carries some solid US$30 or so backpacks which, given some cardboard/masonite & CF padding make solid LF cam tote bags - I have a Kodak No.2 in 8x10 that travels that way - not a lot of spare room maybe one lens internally plus the outside pouches hold accessories, but the price is right.--alfredian