Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 150mm lens suggestion for landscapes on a Cambo 45NX

Re: 150mm lens suggestion for landscapes on a Cambo 45NX

A Schneider G-Claron is a very sharp lens with good wiggle room and mostly found in modern Copal shuttters. They'll be single coated if that matters.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    I've looked at more landscape photos that I like and a bunch of them are on my 50mm f1.8 Nikor. Then, I have a bunch in the 18mm range. I believe the 50mm on DX should convert to about 33mm on 35mm format and that should correlate to about 120mm on LF??? So for now, I'll forget the 18mm conversion and focus on the 120mm-150mm in LF.

Based on that is there a lens that jumps out in that range? Or is it just a wash of greatness no matter where I go?
    You've got your conversion wrong way 'round - you divided instead of multiplied by the 1.5x. As Havoc posted, your looking at around 90mm on 4x5 for that 18mm on your DX, and for the longer lens something akin to 240mm to 300mm (don't forget that your 16 x 24 millimeter sensor has a different aspect ratio than a 4x5 sheet of film).
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    50mm on DX would be around 70-80mm on 24x36. So around 240mm in 4x5. The 18mm in DX would be around 90mm in 4x5.
    A 240 G Claron rocks, IMHO. It will easily do 8x10 if your format interest grows.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    50mm on DX would be around 70-80mm on 24x36. So around 240mm in 4x5. The 18mm in DX would be around 90mm in 4x5.
    CRAP!! I went the wrong way!!

See! ROOKIE!! You guys are dealing with a rookie here!!

Stick with your search for a 150. My absolutely most used lens is a Rodenstock Sironar-S 150/5.6. But that isn’t the point. A 90mm is a really wide angle lens on 4x5, not really a general purpose length. A 135mm is close, but the problem is the image circle, your use of movements will be very limited. When I first started, Fred Picker (the guru of that pre-internet time) suggested a Schneider Symmar-S 210mm as your first lens, with a Schneider Super-Angulon 120mm as your second. I still have both. First problem is that both are a lot larger than a similar aperture 150mm, which works against your desire for a mountain bike & backpack. Second I find the 210 a little long for general purpose landscapes (but great for picking out details or still lifes), and the 120 is just too big & heavy. I use both, but not in my stripped-down travel kit. So stick to your first choice, and if you can find an older example from a reputable manufacturer in a Copal 0 shutter, that would be ideal.

Ok. Very helpful. I'm starting to go crazy with different options and directions. Peter...go got me grounded now.

Looking at:
    Rodenstock Sinaron S (Sironar N) 150mm f5.6 Lens (the one you pointed me to)
    Fuji Fujinon W 150mm f5.6 Lens
    Schneider 150mm F5.6 Xenar

They are all close to the same price with the Fuji being a little lower and from Japan and the Rodenstock in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    Rodenstock Sinaron S (Sironar N) 150mm f5.6 Lens
    I've got one (S version). Love it. Probably 30% of my images are from this lens. It's got plenty of coverage so you can play with movements (how else you gonna learn?), and it's sharp as a tack. Hard to beat.

Bruce Watson

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    A Schneider G-Claron is a very sharp lens with good wiggle room and mostly found in modern Copal shuttters. They'll be single coated if that matters.
    My 150 g-claron is my favorite lens, winning more affection than my Schneider XL 110mm or Fuji A 240. It’s tiny and light – of course, armchair photographers will tell field photographers that its tiny size and weight just don’t make much difference when you consider the total weight of your gear bag, but don’t let them fool you.

The psychological benefit of this lighter, smaller, sharp lens makes a significant difference when you’re in the mountains making images. It’s a joy to pack, a joy to carry, a joy to handle, a joy to use – whether your subject is close-up, in the middle distance, or at infinity.

Of course, had I decided on any of the other fine 150 lenses already mentioned, I'm sure I would have found a reason to love it too. ;^)

Rodenstock Sinaron S (Sironar N) 150mm f5.6 Lens I've seen Exc and mint of this lens for $1400 and up from Japan. Is this right. How can they sell others on ebay for $300 and under?

Is this really one of the sharpest of the 150's?

Lots of mentions of Sinaron, Sironar and "S" in this thread, so a caution/reminder:
    Rodenstock Apo Sironar-N = Sinar Sinaron-S $$
    Rodenstock Apo Sironar-S = Sinar Sinaron-SE $$$ (latest version, larger image circle)

I have no idea what the story is with the Japanese sellers who park lenses on eBay for 5-10x going prices