Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 150mm lens suggestion for landscapes on a Cambo 45NX

Re: 150mm lens suggestion for landscapes on a Cambo 45NX

Rodenstock Sinaron S 150mm f5.6 Where can you get this lens other then Japan? I've been looking.

Difference in $$ -vs- $$$ is basically image circle. The SE has a slightly larger image circle plus the belief it IS the Latest-Greatest multi-coated wiz bam wonder lens... Sadly not true. Based on SO many LF lens discussions here, image circle or coverage is an obsession that is over blown and focused on for many of the wrong reasons.

Don't get caught up in the fantasy that a "better or best" lens will be the ultimate solution to THE image print.. Reality is a big NO.
    At this point there are SO many other skills and needs trying for the reputed "Best" lens is much a waste of $ in every way. There are NO "consumer" grade LF lenses as historically LF was for photographers that expected image excellence and back in the day few hobbyist photographers did their work in LF. Majority of LF film burners where commercial folks using 4x5 to make color transparencies as the basic image used for the mass printing process.

At this point in your LF journey, best to focus on image content as discussed in this thread, #52:
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...07#post1530807

Then pick the lowest cost modern plasmat in a proven-reliable-accurate shutter, then spend your $ on film, processing and the remainder of the print making process. This essentially means spend about $150 USD on a Schneider-Nikon-Rodenstock-Fujinon plasmat of the target focal length usually between 150mm to 210mm and move on. Keep in mind at this point in your LF adventure journey, it may or may not last. Only time and doing the print making process will tell if LF will stay with you or ya move on away from LF.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by alan_b View Post
    Lots of mentions of Sinaron, Sironar and "S" in this thread, so a caution/reminder:
    Rodenstock Apo Sironar-N = Sinar Sinaron-S $$
    Rodenstock Apo Sironar-S = Sinar Sinaron-SE $$$ (latest version, larger image circle)

I have no idea what the story is with the Japanese sellers who park lenses on eBay for 5-10x going prices

Les

From my understanding you need 153mm coverage for basic 4x5. If you don't need a shutter....the price will drop significantly. You'll always be able to get the expensive APO's, etc etc....that is when you are good and ready for it. Couple of lenses that probably were not mentioned, like 150mm APO Ronar F9 (I think this covers 5x7) and the Ektar 152/4.5. The latter has 182mm circle, so don't expect much movements from it, tho I've seen some excellent examples where they were using Graflex. I'm in total agreement with Bernice, that content is what the viewer notices....and not who made the lens.

Les

Yeah I'm good. I understand the "best" argument. 'Best' can be and is intupreted in many ways as it should be. To Bernice it might be best quality and to Kent it's best for a beginner just starting out. You end up with two totally different suggestions.

I'm not looking for one answer. Just like a photographer brackets a series of exposures, I too am bracketing your answers.

So "best lens" away guys!!

I've settled in on three lenses all about $150-$200 and that's fine. I might one day replace it with something three times the cost and it too will be the "best lens" or I might replace it with a lens that's half the cost, guess what? It'll be the best lens.....maybe I'll do neither and that will mean my selection today was the best...Bernice, you pick'en up what I'm lay'en down?

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    Yeah I'm good. I understand the "best" argument. 'Best' can be and is intupreted in many ways as it should be. To Bernice it might be best quality and to Kent it's best for a beginner just starting out. You end up with two totally different suggestions.

I've come to think of photos in two ways. First, there's "image quality." This means it's sharp, good contrast, good color saturation. A lot of technical stuff that can be objectively measured. My second thought is "quality of the image." This is the "arty" part, the part that comes from my emotions. For this I go to old lenses such as the early anastigmats made aroudn 1910-1930 such as Dagor, Velostigmat, and (yum yum!) the Heliar. All uncoated. All give a soft, low contrast look that's SO different what everyone is doing with a digital camera now. What gets me really excited are the REALLY old lenses! I have four made in the 1840s--can't get much older than that! Those are what I've been using the most for the past several months, shooting wet plate of course. As you might have deduced I use lenses made from the very dawn of photography (1840s) to my newest Sigma ART made in 2018. What I've learned is there isn't a whole lot of noticeable difference between lenses made within their time period unless you're really experienced. Even with that I've noticed few if any non-photographers seem to notice if I made a photo with a c.1910 Dagor or a c.2002 Fujinon. I tend to buy lenses for the "look" they give, not the technical aspects.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Kent Where can we see your pictures? I'd love to look at them.

Yeah what he said!!! Where is your gallery!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Rodenstock Sinaron S (Sironar N) 150mm f5.6 Lens I've seen Exc and mint of this lens for $1400 and up from Japan. Is this right. How can they sell others on ebay for $300 and under?

Is this really one of the sharpest of the 150's?
    IMHO, at the normal working apertures for large format cameras ( usually f/22 to f/32), most modern first-tier lenses in the 150mm range from Nikon, Fujinon, Rodenstock and Schneider will be diffraction limited and hence little practical difference will be noticeable among them at working apertures.

I like the 150mm / f 5.6 Fujinon multicoated NWS series myself, even more than my 180mm Sironar N. I bought a spare, which was also just as good. Excellent copies are often available in the $200 range out of Japan.

Similarly, the compact Kodak Ektar 203/7.7 post-WWII coated version is light and very high quality. There are several published first-person claims that Ansel Adams asserted that this was his favorite lens. The Kodak Supermatic shutters usually need a CLAC (Clean, Lube, Adjust) as their timing tends to become a bit erratic as the decades accumulate. This is another favorite lens for field work, so much so that I also bought a second copy of this one as well. I paid $99 for one plus shipping. I've had the other one for nearly 40 years and don't remember the cost.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Kent Where can we see your pictures? I'd love to look at them.
    I've posted quite a few here, and all over the place. Here's some links. Keep in mind I use a bunch of different cameras, everything from ancient medium format (Brownie, Cocarette, Rolleiflex, etc.) to older 35mm (Leica IIIc, Ansco Memo) to large format and of course a Nikon D850. I seem to have "phases" where I do different subjects. Currently I like shooting abandoned farm houses with 4x5 & 5x7 film, and country churches with wet plate. This weekend is the start of ice racing season (motorcycles on frozen lakes) so I'll be doing that on the weekends too.

Anything black & white was shot on film (or plates).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/968260...57694462815485

https://www.flickr.com/photos/968260...57666630589268

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KentStaubus/photos_all

Photography wise, I'm all over the place.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!