Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you be willing to take a survey on film photography equipment?

Would you be willing to take a survey on film photography equipment?

https://forms.gle/9aFinvHxA6Pm6VGH6

I've been developing some products behind the scenes to the point where I need to decide the priority and some supporting cases based on the responses I receive. The main goal of the products I'm building is the idea that they are

RELIABLE

Competitively priced

User serviceable

Feedback is key and very much appreciated!

Edit #1
    My statement from below:

Hey everyone!

I have had an overwhelming response to the survey. I GREATLY appreciate you taking the time to fill this out.

Looking at some of the comments above, I realize I probably should have introduced myself.

My name is Kalyn Davis (@kalyndavisphoto IG). I'm a software developer by day and Film photography (primarily large and medium) by night er... day.
    Using my enthusiasm for creating things with wood, software, and electronics I've started applying those to some problems I've encountered in my film photography journey. I want to assure everyone that I'm not trying to fish for a kickstarter to raise money for the sake of raising money. The things I'm building for myself I think could have a really positive impact and I'm trying to understand the market a little better though this survey.

While this is something I'm working on in my spare time and with my own money (I do not expect the market to fund prototypes or anything like that), I do want to be responsible in the way I share this with the market. When I mentioned I want this to be user serviceable, I am trying to make sure that the products aren't some black box and that there is no 'vendor' lock-in. The question about kickstarter or patreon is so that I can fund this when I get to a public release because I do want to make enough money from products I am making to be a viable source of income to create better/new products.

Currently, I am working on a led light source and darkroom light. I have a line of cameras that I'm planning to tackle next as I have complaints with my own Intrepid, but I'm in the darkroom now. So that's where I'm at. This started after purchasing an omega C700 and seeing the cost of accessories. I bought a 3d printer to make film carriers for it since it literally cost the same and then realized that I need to make my own enlarger for my 6x17 images. I think others have had similar experiences in some form or fashion.

I fully respect you not wanting to take a survey some random dude on the internet is asking you to take, but I want shed some light on who I am and what my intentions are.

If I can answer any questions, I'm more than happy to!

Edit #2
    I have received a great amount of responses and I just wanted to say THANK YOU! Your feedback is crucial and you have provided some key points/ideas that provide great insight.

I will continue to keep this survey open for those that are wanting to participate, but I have reached my minimum threshold at this point. Again, THANK YOU.
    Last edited by AnalogicallyGrainy; 8-Jan-2020 at 18:44. Reason: Clarity

Re: Would you be willing to take a survey on film photography equipment?

Revive the PhotoBackpacker line of products.

Develop a "modern" Grafmatic type of film magazine using CAD/CAM, 3-D rendering and composite materials.

A LF pull along cart based on a Golf-Bag cart would catch my interest too. My vision is something that will pull a moderate load (<50lbs) off the path, over uneven ground . . .like a golf bag pull cart. Folding/knock-down is important. I did one a few years ago, but my skill set was too weak to make it fully successful.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Ok . . .Took the Survey, left comments.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I don't think this survey is worth doing

Very limited questions, with no imagination
    Tin Can

I missed the possibility to add remarks. Like "what would you pay for an enlarger?" Well, not much more than for a decent secondhand one. UNLESS it has some serious advantages. Like the size that would be modular or easy/build in alignment. I'd like a camera, but same thing. If you can propose me a very light sturdy 4x5 I'd be more interested and willing to pay more than for plastic 3D printed version that still needs to be painted to be light-tight.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

It's a fishing trip for another KS just to raise some money...

Obviously not an enthusiast trying to solve a known problem

New cameras, what for...

New enlargers, LOL

Do not give them your email address
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    It's a fishing trip for another KS just to raise some money...

Obviously not an enthusiast trying to solve a known problem

New cameras, what for...

New enlargers, LOL

Do not give them your email address
    Could be. OTOH When I take one of my old cameras in hand I always think what could be done if we would make one now. With all the advances in materials and electronics. I'd like to have a 6x9 in some fiberstuff. And shutterspeeds that can be set in 1/3 steps. And a light motor winder. Using small light LiPo accus. Some zoom lenses for my 4x5, why not?

I know there is a craze for metal but it weighs, is cold right now outside, bends when you drop it etc.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Those options were not mentioned

I want an autofocus 8X10 and might build one from wood, metal and whatever I can find

But it would never be commercially viable and I am not getting younger

as for enlargers almost all still go to the dump

Scanning film is the big thing for a few more years

Then digi will erase it all

when our infrastructure fails we will be...

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    Could be. OTOH When I take one of my old cameras in hand I always think what could be done if we would make one now. With all the advances in materials and electronics. I'd like to have a 6x9 in some fiberstuff. And shutterspeeds that can be set in 1/3 steps. And a light motor winder. Using small light LiPo accus. Some zoom lenses for my 4x5, why not?

I know there is a craze for metal but it weighs, is cold right now outside, bends when you drop it etc.
    Tin Can

I can find 95% of the items on that list on this forum, Craigslist, ebay, or garage sales (and in working condition), and would rather buy known quantities that way.

Hey everyone!

I have had an overwhelming response to the survey. I GREATLY appreciate you taking the time to fill this out.

Looking at some of the comments above, I realize I probably should have introduced myself.

My name is Kalyn Davis (@kalyndavisphoto IG). I'm a software developer by day and Film photography (primarily large and medium) by night er... day.
    Using my enthusiasm for creating things with wood, software, and electronics I've started applying those to some problems I've encountered in my film photography journey. I want to assure everyone that I'm not trying to fish for a kickstarter to raise money for the sake of raising money. The things I'm building for myself I think could have a really positive impact and I'm trying to understand the market a little better though this survey.

While this is something I'm working on in my spare time and with my own money (I do not expect the market to fund prototypes or anything like that), I do want to be responsible in the way I share this with the market. When I mentioned I want this to be user serviceable, I am trying to make sure that the products aren't some black box and that there is no 'vendor' lock-in. The question about kickstarter or patreon is so that I can fund this when I get to a public release because I do want to make enough money from products I am making to be a viable source of income to create better/new products.

Currently, I am working on a led light source and darkroom light. I have a line of cameras that I'm planning to tackle next as I have complaints with my own Intrepid, but I'm in the darkroom now. So that's where I'm at. This started after purchasing an omega C700 and seeing the cost of accessories. I bought a 3d printer to make film carriers for it since it literally cost the same and then realized that I need to make my own enlarger for my 6x17 images. I think others have had similar experiences in some form or fashion.

I fully respect you not wanting to take a survey some random dude on the internet is asking you to take, but I want shed some light on who I am and what my intentions are.

If I can answer any questions, I'm more than happy to!