Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tripod Head Needed for 8X10

Drew Wiley

Re: Tripod Head Needed for 8X10

I think you're confusing them with geodes dug out of Shuteye Peak that were used to power the time machine. But it was called Shuteye because there was a cave somewhere around there where the Indians slept overnight on their commute to Granite Creek, and then over Mammoth Pass. I thought a Mimieux was a double gauss French lens put on leatherette-coated Yvette folding 127 cameras. Were they really that bad?

If I’m packing I’ll ditch the head sometimes, but if it’s not serious packing, I don’t mind the 2.5 pounds of the J250. But then I’ve never been one to bother with cutting handles off my toothbrush to save weight either. If you can wait they come up now and then at around half price.

And under certain conditions I use a Tiltall with 8x10 and 4x5 so I don’t put a lot of heed into pound ratings.

Les

Not sure if this will interest you, but saw Majestic head (used) in the Bay Area CL.

Les

For my old Calumet 4x5 metal camera which weighed a ton I used this video QR mounting bracket on a ball head as a replacement for the standard QR plate. Manfrotto 577 Rapid Connect Adapter with Sliding Mounting Plate (501PL). I am sure there are similar plates and brackets for higher prices but this held up well for many years. Was great for my Canon 300mm and 100-400 lenses too. this could be mounted to a leveling base or 3 way head too.
    Adventure is worthwhile in itself. ... Never interrupt someone doing what you said couldn't be done. -- Amelia Earhart
    http://www.searing.photography

If you're building the camera, why not build the head, too? Maybe make one following the design of the old platform heads that look like a clapperboard from the side.
    Last edited by William Whitaker; 4-Jan-2020 at 22:10.

I use the Manfrotto 400. Perfection, control steady. cannot be beat.