Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tripod Head Needed for 8X10

Drew Wiley

Re: Tripod Head Needed for 8X10

I think you're confusing them with geodes dug out of Shuteye Peak that were used to power the time machine. But it was called Shuteye because there was a cave somewhere around there where the Indians slept overnight on their commute to Granite Creek, and then over Mammoth Pass. I thought a Mimieux was a double gauss French lens put on leatherette-coated Yvette folding 127 cameras. Were they really that bad?

If I’m packing I’ll ditch the head sometimes, but if it’s not serious packing, I don’t mind the 2.5 pounds of the J250. But then I’ve never been one to bother with cutting handles off my toothbrush to save weight either. If you can wait they come up now and then at around half price.

And under certain conditions I use a Tiltall with 8x10 and 4x5 so I don’t put a lot of heed into pound ratings.

Les

Not sure if this will interest you, but saw Majestic head (used) in the Bay Area CL.

Les

For my old Calumet 4x5 metal camera which weighed a ton I used this video QR mounting bracket on a ball head as a replacement for the standard QR plate. Manfrotto 577 Rapid Connect Adapter with Sliding Mounting Plate (501PL). I am sure there are similar plates and brackets for higher prices but this held up well for many years. Was great for my Canon 300mm and 100-400 lenses too. this could be mounted to a leveling base or 3 way head too.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

If you're building the camera, why not build the head, too? Maybe make one following the design of the old platform heads that look like a clapperboard from the side.
    Last edited by William Whitaker; 4-Jan-2020 at 22:10.

I use the Manfrotto 400. Perfection, control steady. cannot be beat.

In my experience so far, the current best 8x10 tripod head in the world (definitely the sturdiest, best-machined) is the Luland 150mm TH-150 (with brass screws). It is very expensive, but if you got the bucks, they do have an even higher-tier model for about 100$ or so more, but I can't even fathom what that head could carry. For those who care, I found Luland's communication and passion to be awesome. They're based in Hong-Kong, but you can also get the tripods on eBay.

I'll upload some pictures or videos of this beautiful tank mounted on my Berlebach Uni24 tripod. Funny that I stumbled on this thread today; this morning I had some free time and wanted to test the limits of this head, not in terms of weight, but in terms of it's outright stability and vibration dampening.

I mounted my Nikon 1000mm f/11 reflector on my Nikon D3x (I ordered a special 1/4 screw in addition to the 3/8 screw from Luland) and the pictures were so sharp, I feel like doing an entire project with this old gem. It was so good in fact, that I decided to pop on my old Nikon TC-301 2x extender, which I've found to be completely unusable until now, due to how the f/11 reflector already amplifies vibrations. Imagine my shock, when I looked through the viewfinder and the image of a person's face more than a hundred meters away, filled the frame without even the slightest vibration. Of course the photo would need to verify my perceptions and it sure as hell did... razor sharp.

Footnote:If you're wondering about Ries Tripods, I ordered a Ries A200 recently and after a month of either no communication (called and emailed), strange excuses, or very abrupt one sentence replies, I found it impossible to continue that relationship. I asked for a refund, but that too, took a long time to process. The entire experience left me feeling exhausted. Word of caution to anyone new to the world of heavy-duty tripods and heads: don't fall into the Ries Tripod marketing trap: 'If it's good enough for Ansel Adams it's good enough for you." I did and came out burned (and at some point even felt scammed to be honest).

On a positive note though, the Luland 150mm TH-150 has re-invigorated my desire to shoot 8x10 and exotic 35mm telephoto lenses, and for that I can't recommend the brand highly enough.
    Last edited by jvanhuys; 25-Oct-2021 at 18:59.

Quote Originally Posted by jvanhuys View Post
    In my experience so far, the current best tripod head in the world (definitely the sturdiest, best-machined) is the Luland 150mm TH-150
    For years now I have been using a wee bit smaller (older model?) Luland tripod head very similar to their current LD115. The "carrying platform size" on my head is just shy of 4"x4" (10cmx10cm). It has been just a pleasure to use with my 8x10 Chamonix. Its size seems perfectly matched for the 8x10 format. If I didn't already have and use a large Ries head with my 11x14, I would have no hesitation in acquiring the 150mm TH-150 head for my 11x14. For me the TH-150 may be an overkill for use with an 8x10, but definitely not for an 11x14.

Drew Wiley

I've had SUPERB service from Ries over the years. These are difficult times due to pandemic issues, so give them a break. All kinds of manufacturers are having problems getting necessary components, and even with staffing, right now. They wouldn't have been in business for so long, or have garnered so much praise from so many people on this very forum, if they weren't doing things right.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I've had SUPERB service from Ries over the years. These are difficult times due to pandemic issues, so give them a break. All kinds of manufacturers are having problems getting necessary components, and even with staffing, right now. They wouldn't have been in business for so long, or have garnered so much praise from so many people on this very forum, if they weren't doing things right.
    Agree 100% When I ordered my large Ries (A100) with its large Ries head directly from Ries a few years ago, I had a very pleasant experience. My first call was probably 20 minutes long and very informative. I had several questions that were patiently answered in detail. My second follow-up call was a lot shorter but just as pleasant. Both calls ended with no pressure to order at that time. More of if you decide to order in the future, just give us a call.