Thread: Gears for DIY extension rail

Gears for DIY extension rail

Does anyone know a source for geared rail that sits in beds of wooden view cameras?

I am trying to match 3 cameras.

5x7 Korona
    8x10 Korona
    12x20 Folmer Schwing

Foamer

Re: Gears for DIY extension rail

This place looks promising:

https://khkgears.net/new/gear_rack.html

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McMaster-Carr is another source: https://www.mcmaster.com/gear-racks

You may want to try Stock Drive Products too -
    https://www.sdp-si.com/

Pretty sure KHK only has metric gears (and racks, which is what you want) for thise vintage cameras you need imperial (english) gearing.
    Mcmaster Carr is a better bet. You’ll be looking at small pitches, 32 and smaller. (As the pitch # goes up, the teeth get smaller)

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    This place looks promising:

https://khkgears.net/new/gear_rack.html

Kent in SD
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

OK, update.

I have a 12x20 F&S here in the shop and the gear rack is 32 pitch, 20 degree pressure angle.

I also have a Korona 8x10 Home Portrait here, and the rack looks like 45 pitch? I don't have a gauge for that size, and don't see documentation of it on line in a brief search. Being Rochester a hundred years ago, there were no doubt shops making non standard gearing for various types of instrumentation.

Bear in mind also, that even stock 32 pitch rack might not be an exact replacement for the F&S as the baseline to pitch line may not be the same. If the new rack is taller, you'll need to deepen the groove it sits in, and if shorter, shim it.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Thanks Tracy for the measurements. I bought some rail to try it out fo size. From there i'll figure out my next step.

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and insights. I will update when i have something to report.

Keep your eye out on eBay for completely "trashed" wooden view cameras. Wood is usually the first thing to go. Knobs the second. BUT.... bottom bed and extension rails with their geared rails usually the last to go. Had a B&J Commercial View that was missing its extension rail. For little money found and bought another B&J that was in parts. Fabricated another wooden extension rail (not all that hard to do) and used the metal geared extension rails off the "trashed" camera. FYI: usually the manufacturer used the same geared rails for all the formats they offered, only the lengths were different. Also was told that the geared extension rails used by the different manufactures all had standard sized teeth... not sure about that, only passing on what I was told.

Matt Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Keep your eye out on eBay for completely "trashed" wooden view cameras. Wood is usually the first thing to go. Knobs the second. BUT.... bottom bed and extension rails with their geared rails usually the last to go. Had a B&J Commercial View that was missing its extension rail. For little money found and bought another B&J that was in parts. Fabricated another wooden extension rail (not all that hard to do) and used the metal geared extension rails off the "trashed" camera. FYI: usually the manufacturer used the same geared rails for all the formats they offered, only the lengths were different. Also was told that the geared extension rails used by the different manufactures all had standard sized teeth... not sure about that, only passing on what I was told.
    +1
    I did the exact same thing with my B&J 8x10. When I bought it it was missing the extension. I picked up an extension cheap for a B&J 5x7, salvaged the gear rails and attachment hardware and build one for the 8x10. Works perfectly - though I haven't painted it battleship grey yet.
    Even monkeys fall from trees -- Japanese proverb