Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Which of my 5 LF lenses are worth keeping or worth upgrading?

Re: Which of my 5 LF lenses are worth keeping or worth upgrading?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    I wouldn't mind having an Imagon for my Fujifilm Xt3!

I doubt they made a lens close to the focal length of my Fujifilm 56mm APD. Of course if it had a Nikon or Canon mount, I could use a speed booster. Probably be cheaper to just buy one for 4x5 or an RB with a Mamiya 150mm SF lens.
    Not as common but Rodenstock also made a 120 and a 150 Imagon. The most recent ones were made for and sold by Schmactenburg. We were both the Rodenstock and the Schmactenburg distributor in the USA until he went out of business.
    He also made and sold a Helicoid, a focus tube and camera adapters for most 35 and 2 ¼ cameras. He also had Prontor Werke make a special version of the Prontor Professional shutter for use with those Imagons on Hasselblad 500 and EL cameras as well as Rollei 6000 and SLX cameras. His version of those Imagons were in a black barrel. Much older ones were in a brass barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Not as common but Rodenstock also made a 120 and a 150 Imagon. The most recent ones were made for and sold by Schmactenburg. We were both the Rodenstock and the Schmactenburg distributor in the USA until he went out of business.
    He also made and sold a Helicoid, a focus tube and camera adapters for most 35 and 2 ¼ cameras. He also had Prontor Werke make a special version of the Prontor Professional shutter for use with those Imagons on Hasselblad 500 and EL cameras as well as Rollei 6000 and SLX cameras. His version of those Imagons were in a black barrel. Much older ones were in a brass barrel.
    Thanks, Bob!

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by manfrominternet View Post
    Which of my 5 LF lenses are worth keeping or worth upgrading?
    The lenses that will make the photographs you want to make are the one's worth keeping.

I always figure if I sell a lens I'm not interested in using, the lens needed to upgrade to a better owner.

It all becomes so clear after a couple of tangerine martinis.

"I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I have some news. Someone wants to sell me 5 immaculate Nikon Nikkor lenses for a very good price. I'm very close to purchasing the set, but before I do, I wanted to ask you experts a question or two, if I may.

Here is what my potential future lens set may look like. (The ones in bold are the Nikon lenses I'd be getting. The others are lenses I currently have.):

-65mm Nikon Nikkor-SW f/4
    -75mm Nikon Nikkor-SW f/4.5
    -90mm Nikon Nikkor-SW f/8 (Kerry Thalmann Future Classic)
    -90mm Sinar (Rodenstock) Sinaron W f/6.8 (Multicoated)
    -120mm Nikon Nikkor-SW f/8
    -150mm Nikon Nikkor-W f/5.6
    -150mm Schneider Symmar-S f/5.6 (Multicoated)
    -210mm Schneider Symmar-S f/5.6 (Multicoated)
    -300mm Nikon Nikkor-M f/9 (Kerry Thalmann Future Classic)

The seller is only selling it as a set, unfortunately, and is unwilling to break it up. If I went ahead and bought it, the obvious point of contention is that I'd have two 90mm lenses and two 150mm lenses. The 90mm Sinar Sinaron W f/6.8 and the Schneider 150mm Symmar-S f/5.6 that I currently have are already pretty great lenses, so I'm not sure if I'd sell these and keep the Nikon lenses or vice versa.

That said, in my beleaguered effort to try to build a nice rounded set, do you guys have any input on which lenses I should keep or sell? I want to mention that I have a 6x17 panoramic medium format back for my Linhof Technikardan 45 and the only lens I can currently use with it is my 150mm Schneider Symmar-S f/5.6. Also, if this helps, I shoot color film (both negative and transparency) for landscape and architecture almost exclusively, so I don't know if the future lenses I purchase should be apochromatic or not. Are these Nikon lenses apochromatic?

For those of you who are fortunate enough to have tested many large format lenses, how do these Nikon lenses I'd be getting stack up against, say, those Schneider Super Symmars and Rodenstock Apo Sironars?

If you went ahead you would have a great set of lenses. The Nikkor 90mm would work well for 6x17 and give you a little more coverage than the Roddie. If you need to sell any off, shoot some comparisons with the duplicate focal lengths and keep the ones you prefer.

Unless the price is way too high, just get them. Nikon is/was one of the "Big 4" and makes lenses just as good as Schneider / Rodenstock (if not better depending on the lens).

There literally isn't a bad lens among every one you have or are looking at buying. It's all just splitting hairs, unless something has been dropped / abused.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Until you have tested and used each of these lenses lots, how can any determination of what they are or might be?
    Said this many times before, brand and lens type alone does not automatically imply or offer assured performance that meets your image goal needs.

Yes, this is a serious hassle, yes this is demands time, resources and all that. Until each lens has been tested, used and their images produced considered lots.. any lens remains questionable.

Bernice

I have some news. Someone wants to sell me 5 immaculate Nikon Nikkor lenses for a very good price. I'm very close to purchasing the set, but before I do, I wanted to ask you experts a question or two, if I may.

For those of you who are fortunate enough to have tested many large format lenses, how do these Nikon lenses I'd be getting stack up against, say, those Schneider Super Symmars and Rodenstock Apo Sironars?

Hi all,

I was recently very fortunate enough to come across and get a 150mm Rodenstock Sironar-S f/5.6 as well as a 180mm Sinar Sinaron SE f/5.6 (with the Sinaron SE being Sinar's branding of the Rodenstock Sironar-S line). Anyway, I compared the negatives shot with the 150mm Rodenstock Sironar-S with the negatives shot with my trusty 150mm Schneider Symmar-S f/5.6 (with the same film, shutter speed, and aperture) and the results of the Rodenstock were noticably sharper than the results obtained with my beloved Schneider. Of course, the results weren't significantly better, but they were good enough to make me consider upgrading two of my other lenses, specifically my 210mm Schneider Symmar-S f/5.6 and my 90mm Sinar Sinaron-W f/6.8.

As of now, my lens lineup is as follows:

-75mm Sinar (Rodenstock) Sinaron W f/4.5 (With the green strip)
    -90mm Sinar (Rodenstock) Sinaron W f/6.8 (Without the green stripe. I'm not sure if this green strip really means anything or not.)
    -150mm Rodenstock Sironar-S f/5.6
    -180mm Sinar (Rodenstock) Sinaron SE f/5.6
    (With the red stripe. Exact same as Rodenstock Sironar-S)
    -210mm Schneider Symmar-S f/5.6
    -300mm Nikon Nikkor-M f/9

As mentioned, I'd like to eventually replace the 210mm Schneider Symmar-S f/5.6 and especially the 90mm Sinar Sinaron W f/5.6 since I can't use it with my Shen Hao 6x17 roll film extension back on my Linhof Technikardan 45S. At the same time, however, I'm thinking that, instead of replacing these focal lengths outright, it might be better for me to get an in-between lens with a focal length in between 90mm and 150mm for the wide end (to replace the 90mm Sinar Sinaron W f/5.6) and a focal length between 210mm and 300mm (since my 180mm Sinar Sinaron SE is already somewhat close in focal length to my 210mm Schneider Symmar-S and has the added benefit of being usable with the 6x17 Shen Hao extension back).

That said, I was considering the 120mm Super Symmar HM f/5.6 or the 110mm Super Symmar XL f/5.6 (both of which can be used with the Shen Hao 6x17 roll film extension back) to replace my 90mm Sinar Sinaron W and the 240mm Fujinon A F/9 to replace my 210mm Schneider Symmar-S. If there are better options, I'd love to hear them. If it helps with any suggestions, I shoot almost exclusively with color transparency and color negative and print up to 50"x60".

Any advice from you experienced shooters would be much appreciated.

Keep them all

Shutters may be needed one day

soon
    Tin Can

As mentioned, I'd like to eventually replace the 210mm Schneider Symmar-S f/5.6 and especially the 90mm Sinar Sinaron W f/5.6 since I can't use it with my Shen Hao 6x17 roll film extension back on my Linhof Technikardan 45S.
    I'm a bit confused, why can't you use the 90mm with the 617 back? I've been using that exact lens (90/6.8 Grandagon-N) with a 617 back for years. You're not going to get a ton of movements on 617 but it certainly covers it with room to spare.