Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Chamonix 4x5?

Re: Which Chamonix 4x5?

Quote Originally Posted by lassethomas View Post
    Well, it all depends, sort of.
    The widest lens for 4x5 that I know of is the Schneider Super-Angulon XL 47mm. If you go by diagonal (0.27 crop factor) that would mean around 13mm (35mm equivalent).

I own it and it is a fantastic lens, and equally fantastically hard to shoot with. But fun. Nothing you use everyday though.

What you need to check for is the film to flange distance for the lens. It's the actual distance from the front of the lens board to the film at infinity.
    Schneider Super-Angulon XL 47mm has a film to flange of 59 mm.
    The F2 states minimum bellow at 52 mm and the H1 at 60 mm.
    The F2 should work with the 47mm out of the box but I would use a recessed board to get some extra movement too. And with the H1 a 10mm recessed board might be necessary.

As for tele the F2 has 395mm bellow extension and H1 350mm.
    And that is for infinity focus. A lens would need rather more if you like to get close.
    But you could use an extruded lens board to gain some extension, and even more there are extenders for the camera.
    And then tele lenses are not made equal. Some are long lens designs with a film to flange distances about their focal length, and some are tele lens designs with a film to flange distances markedly shorter than their focal length.
    So you can see that it depends.

Anyway, a 400mm lens for 4x5 would equal about 110 in 35mm

/Lasse
    Currently, I’m shooting medium format (Mamiya RB67) with 35mm equivalents in 24mm, 44mm, 85mm and 172mm (Actual lenses are 50mm, 90mm, 180mm, and 360mm). That's about 90mm for 4x5 to get the 24mm equivalent. I also would want to get a 150mm for normal shooting. Which lenses would you recommend for sharp focus for the 45H1 model?

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I have lenses from fuji, nikon, rodenstock, Schneider. All are very good. If shooting color I suggest only buying multicoated lenses.

Kent in SD
    Kent, What order would you grade these manufacturers?

I'm thinking of getting the 45H1 and keeping it all together in a foam padded Pelican case in my car's trunk. Then pull it out, stick it on the tripod and go shoot nearby. That's why I'm favoring the H1 rather than the F2. Anyone with comments on my thinking?

I'm a fan of camouflage, not camo clothing, that says 'gun' thieves love them too...

Pelican, Halliburton, etc scream steal me. I have both for storage.

I use coolers, paper bags and my new favorite a very colorful folding, reusable, shopping bag. They are very heavy duty. Wet grass is OK. I have 3 and do use them shopping all the time. Less bags....

Here is my 5X7 Deardorff with 210mm lens and plastic lens shade with a soft case holding five 5X7 film holders

Put the dark cloth over it all, and they may think I am on a picnic with a weird chair, aka tripod.

It is ready to go!

5X7 Deardorff 5 holders by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I see them as interchangeable as long as I'm comparing multicoated to multicoated and APO to APO etc. I also look at image circle.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

All of these are good, but some individual examples can vary...

Test whatever you end up with...

Steve K

Chamonix has film holders. $80 each, wood and carbon fiber. How many should I start with? Are these loaded with two films one on each side? Can you mark them when unshot and used?
    http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/ac...es/filmholders

I read through your question several times and I don't get it.

You're asking people to experience a camera For You which is absolutely impossible.

If you really had one specific question that would be one thing but you've thrown in a multitude of variables.

The thing to do, in my opinion, since you've narrowed it down to Chamonix is flip a coin and buy one.

After you have experienced one view camera, examined it's specs and compared it to others you might have a better idea of what you want.

If your not going far from the car who cares about weight?

You don't like upside down and backwards? Seriously?

Buy a camera.

Get on with it.

Chamonix has film holders. $80 each, wood and carbon fiber. How many should I start with? Are these loaded with two films one on each side? Can you mark them when unshot and used?
    There are so many Fidelity/Riteway/Lisco/Toyo etc holders floating around for $5-$15 each, I would just start with those...

For larger or odd formats, paying the custom price is justified when you will shoot them a lot...

6 holders/12 sheets are a reasonable amount for a day out...

Steve K

Foamer

That's a LOT of money for film holders. I just buy used ones on ebay for less than $10 each. Look for the all plastic ones such as Fidelity Elite or Lisco Regal. Yes, two shots per holder. No need to mark them. The dark slides have a strip along the top that is white on one side and black on the opposite. Load the holders with the white strip facing outward. Take the shot, flip the dark slide around with the dark strip now facing outward. Easy peasy.

Here's a short video about film holders. You load them in the dark of course. He forgot to mention the final step. There are two little metal "L" hooks on the top of the holder where the dark slides go in. These are the "keepers." After loading the film and shutting the dark slides, you push the little "L" over the top of the dark slide so the slide can't slip out. Yes, I've had that happen when I didn't engage the keepers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdWK8varqDo

Kent in SD
    Last edited by Two23; 2-Jan-2020 at 21:59.
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!