Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Chamonix 4x5?

Foamer

Re: Which Chamonix 4x5?

I've been using the 45N-1 for about a dozen years now. I've not felt the need to upgrade as it does everything I need. Since I do hike in to places I personally want a folding camera. I suspect it would be easier to resell a folding camera but I'm just guessing. Either camera will do what you want. The longest lens I use is a 300mm. I've sometimes thought of getting a longer one but those are expensive, and they are heavy. They would bounce around hanging way out on an extension. I really don't find a need for anything longer than 300mm anyway. (My 300mm is the popular Nikon 300M f9.) The widest lens I use is a 75mm f4.5 Nikon. I use it mostly for photo'ing the interiors of abandoned houses. I recently got a Chamonix universal bellows which handles the 75mm very well. I've been very happy with the Chamonix and have kept it. It's my do-all general purpose camera. I shoot film, dry plates, and a lot of wet plates (tin) with it. The Technika boards are a nice size and I've mounted lenses made 1845 to 2002 on them. It's a very versatile system.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

I've been happily using my Chamonix n-1 since it was first released... love my camera! I think it's the perfect blend of stability, usability and portability!

The service from Chamonix and Hugo has been exemplary the few times I've needed it.

I can't recommend it enough!
    Robert Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    All I know is when and I will buy another Chamonix it will be an H

Already I use and carry 2 cameras open like the H

I like the lens mounted with hood and release cable and a QR base instantly ready to use

Or an old folding box camera that has it all ready too

Hugo suggested the H-1 to me over the F2 as I don't intend to hike with it much further than the trunk of my car. How do you store, travel with, and use it since it's not foldable?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Hugo suggested the H-1 to me over the F2 as I don't intend to hike with it much further than the trunk of my car. How do you store, travel with, and use it since it's not foldable?
    It comes with a black carry bag and you can leave your lens on the camera. But you can't use your 450mm lens with H1 camera as it can't take an extension board.

Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    It comes with a black carry bag and you can leave your lens on the camera. But you can't use your 450mm lens with H1 camera as it can't take an extension board.
    A 450 will work with a top hat lensboard.
    Keith Pitman

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

I bought the F2 with the extension board, which I almost don't use. I can use the 360mm without the extension board. Only with the 450mm I need the extension. The original length of the F2 is 395mm. Excellent finished and useful camera. It has the (I forgot the name of that thing) ability to swing the back and focus in one movement.

Chamonix1-9 by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr

Arroyo Trabuco or Trabuco Creek by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr

Dana Point Harbor by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

rear asymmetric tilts. Both the 45H1 and 45F2 have them.
    Ì probably going to go with the H1 . Hugo suggests I start with a150mm lens. I shoot landscapes in Velvia and Tmax currently with medium format. So i'l probably continue with those films 4x5. Which lens manufacturer would you recommend and where to buy?

Foamer

I have lenses from fuji, nikon, rodenstock, Schneider. All are very good. If shooting color I suggest only buying multicoated lenses.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

I have had good luck, best quality from Japanese ebay sellers with NIKON lenses

Read reviews and condition, i prefer established sellers
    Tin Can

I had an N2 and should never have sold it. Fabulous camera and I will probably seek out a replacement as soon as I can.

If you're really only going to use wide lenses than the H is for you. However, if you want to use normals, the N's can do most of what the H's do, just with a tiny bit more set up.