Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Happy New Year from Kodak via Michael Raso...Kodak Price Increase

  1. #1
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    13,455

    Happy New Year from Kodak via Michael Raso...Kodak Price Increase

    Happy New Year from the Film Photography Project!

    As we prepare to usher in 2020, Id like to take a moment to address a topic of concern to some of you - the Kodak Price Increase.

    Most of you are aware that Kodak has announced a price increase on all film products as of January 1st 2020, with the some items increasing by as much as 30%. Id like to take this time to clarify how and when this price increase will affect FPP and our customers:

    At the FPP warehouse, we currently have varying levels of inventory on just about all Kodak products. While any amount of this inventory remains, our prices on these products will remain consistent.

    When it is time for us to reorder, we are prepared to do so at the new, higher price set by Kodak. At this time, well adjust our consumer prices accordingly. This will happen item by item, as well sell out and reorder, as opposed to all at once.

    Please note that if you place your order at the current price and the item is out of stock, we will contact you to see if you'd like to cancel or pay the difference.

    As you all know, I grew up using Kodak film, and continue to shoot it in every format available. We will continue to offer Kodak products as long as manufactured, and we will continue to offer them to you at the best possible prices.

    If you haven't yet checked out our entire line of KODAK FILMS, today is the day!

    Wishing you a safe and joyful New Years Eve and a fantastic 2020! Will see you on the radio!

    - Michael Raso


    Thank you for subscribing to our newsletter!
    Michael Raso would love to hear from you - Michael@FilmPhotographyProject.com





    Copyright 2009 - 2019 Film Photography Project, All rights reserved.

    Our mailing address is:
    Film Photography Project
    PO Box 264, Fair Lawn, NJ 07410
    Michael@FilmPhotographyProject.com

    Want to change how you receive these emails?
    You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list
    sin eater

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    San Joaquin Valley, California
    Posts
    8,982

    Re: Happy New Year from Kodak via Michael Raso...Kodak Price Increase

    Is Kodak film manufactured in Rochester, NY or Fair Lawn, NJ? Or ?
    And how does Film Photography Project justify Kodak 8x10 Tri-X 320 being twice the retail price of Ilford 8x10 HP-5+ 400
    I steal time at 1/125th of a second, so I don't consider my photography to be Fine Art as much as it is petty larceny.
    I'm not OCD. I'm CDO which is alphabetically correct.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    now in Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    2,879

    Re: Happy New Year from Kodak via Michael Raso...Kodak Price Increase

    As I understand it, these days all Kodak film is manufactured in Rochester. Sounds to me like the FPP is a dealer. Fair Lawn, NJ is part of the New York City metropolis, and for many years Kodak operated a Kodachrome processing lab there.
    I'm sorry to hear that Kodak is raising prices. I have no idea why, and as an ex-employee, I just hope that they stay in business.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    12,868

    Re: Happy New Year from Kodak via Michael Raso...Kodak Price Increase

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    As I understand it, these days all Kodak film is manufactured in Rochester. Sounds to me like the FPP is a dealer. Fair Lawn, NJ is part of the New York City metropolis, and for many years Kodak operated a Kodachrome processing lab there.
    I'm sorry to hear that Kodak is raising prices. I have no idea why, and as an ex-employee, I just hope that they stay in business.
    He isnt in the Route 4 plant. He is in an industrial park.
    He is mainly selling private label as well as expired Kodak respooled movie stock.

    Any fresh stock he is probably buying from Omega Brandess and not from Kodak directly.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    San Clemente, California
    Posts
    3,396

    Re: Happy New Year from Kodak via Michael Raso...Kodak Price Increase

    Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    ...how does Film Photography Project justify Kodak 8x10 Tri-X 320 being twice the retail price of Ilford 8x10 HP-5+ 400
    Neither this particular retailer nor Eastman Kodak nor Kodak Alaris need justify the retail price of any film. 8x10 320TXP sells for what the market is willing to pay for it. Period.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    San Joaquin Valley, California
    Posts
    8,982

    Re: Happy New Year from Kodak via Michael Raso...Kodak Price Increase

    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Neither this particular retailer nor Eastman Kodak nor Kodak Alaris need justify the retail price of any film. 8x10 320TXP sells for what the market is willing to pay for it. Period.
    And that is a mystery. TXP isn't TMY, it's TXP!
    I steal time at 1/125th of a second, so I don't consider my photography to be Fine Art as much as it is petty larceny.
    I'm not OCD. I'm CDO which is alphabetically correct.

  7. #7
    Jim Graves Jim Graves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sacramento, Calif., USA
    Posts
    892

    Re: Happy New Year from Kodak via Michael Raso...Kodak Price Increase

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    He isnt in the Route 4 plant. He is in an industrial park.
    He is mainly selling private label as well as expired Kodak respooled movie stock.

    Any fresh stock he is probably buying from Omega Brandess and not from Kodak directly.
    Bob ... who is the "he" you are referring to?

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    12,868

    Re: Happy New Year from Kodak via Michael Raso...Kodak Price Increase

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Graves View Post
    Bob ... who is the "he" you are referring to?
    The owner.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    San Clemente, California
    Posts
    3,396

    Re: Happy New Year from Kodak via Michael Raso...Kodak Price Increase

    Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    ...how does Film Photography Project justify Kodak 8x10 Tri-X 320 being twice the retail price of Ilford 8x10 HP-5+ 400
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Neither this particular retailer nor Eastman Kodak nor Kodak Alaris need justify the retail price of any film. 8x10 320TXP sells for what the market is willing to pay for it. Period.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    And that is a mystery. TXP isn't TMY, it's TXP!
    What's the mystery? The market likes 8x10 320TXP more than it likes 8x10 TMY-2. That's why 8x10 320TXP is a standard catalog item and 8x10 TMY-2 is a special order. It's why B&H sells a lot more 8x10 320TXP than it does 8x10 TMY-2. B&H has cut the price of 8x10 TMY-2 to 85% of what it sells 8x10 320TXP for, likely because the most recent batch of approximately 140 units of the former that it special ordered hasn't been moving quickly at all.

    I'd pay even more for 8x10 TMY-2 that had the retouchable back coating of 8x10 320TXP, not due to any interest in retouching negatives, but because of the robustness and anti-Newton's rings properties of that back coating. Apparently, even fewer people share this interest with me than want 8x10 TMY-2 as it exists today.

    The market wants what the market wants. There's no accounting for taste. I don't understand why anyone would shoot Velveeta in any format, but people do.

  10. #10

    Re: Happy New Year from Kodak via Michael Raso...Kodak Price Increase

    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    What's the mystery? The market likes 8x10 320TXP more than it likes 8x10 TMY-2. That's why 8x10 320TXP is a standard catalog item and 8x10 TMY-2 is a special order. It's why B&H sells a lot more 8x10 320TXP than it does 8x10 TMY-2. B&H has cut the price of 8x10 TMY-2 to 85% of what it sells 8x10 320TXP for, likely because the most recent batch of approximately 140 units of the former that it special ordered hasn't been moving quickly at all.

    I'd pay even more for 8x10 TMY-2 that had the retouchable back coating of 8x10 320TXP, not due to any interest in retouching negatives, but because of the robustness and anti-Newton's rings properties of that back coating. Apparently, even fewer people share this interest with me than want 8x10 TMY-2 as it exists today.

    The market wants what the market wants. There's no accounting for taste. I don't understand why anyone would shoot Velveeta in any format, but people do.
    I am with you Sal on TMY as a premier sheet film. In addition to the reasons you mentioned, its linear response, fine grain structure and linear density building characteristics are absolutely marvelous. Not happy with the disparity in price over FP4+ and Delta 100 but there are times when one needs to step up to the plate.

Similar Threads

  1. So much for FX-39 - what's with the price increase?
    By Corran in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 27-Nov-2018, 05:12
  2. Ilford Price Increase
    By tgtaylor in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 18-Jul-2018, 20:17
  3. HP5+ price increase
    By gevalia in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 18-Sep-2011, 15:47
  4. Kodak announces film price increase
    By MIke Sherck in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 18-Apr-2006, 13:13
  5. Wisner Price Increase - How Much?
    By Michael Kadillak in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 20-Aug-2004, 16:56

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •