Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy New Year from Kodak via Michael Raso...Kodak Price Increase

Happy New Year from Kodak via Michael Raso...Kodak Price Increase

Happy New Year from the Film Photography Project!

As we prepare to usher in 2020, I’d like to take a moment to address a topic of concern to some of you - the Kodak Price Increase.

Most of you are aware that Kodak has announced a price increase on all film products as of January 1st 2020, with the some items increasing by as much as 30%. I’d like to take this time to clarify how and when this price increase will affect FPP and our customers:

At the FPP warehouse, we currently have varying levels of inventory on just about all Kodak products. While any amount of this inventory remains, our prices on these products will remain consistent.

When it is time for us to reorder, we are prepared to do so at the new, higher price set by Kodak. At this time, we’ll adjust our consumer prices accordingly. This will happen item by item, as well sell out and reorder, as opposed to all at once.

Please note that if you place your order at the current price and the item is out of stock, we will contact you to see if you'd like to cancel or pay the difference.

As you all know, I grew up using Kodak film, and continue to shoot it in every format available. We will continue to offer Kodak products as long as manufactured, and we will continue to offer them to you at the best possible prices.

If you haven't yet checked out our entire line of KODAK FILMS, today is the day!

Wishing you a safe and joyful New Year’s Eve and a fantastic 2020! Will see you on the radio!

- Michael Raso

Thank you for subscribing to our newsletter!
    Michael Raso would love to hear from you - Michael@FilmPhotographyProject.com

Copyright © 2009 - 2019 Film Photography Project, All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
    Film Photography Project
    PO Box 264, Fair Lawn, NJ 07410
    Michael@FilmPhotographyProject.com

Want to change how you receive these emails?
    You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list
    Tin Can

Re: Happy New Year from Kodak via Michael Raso...Kodak Price Increase

Is Kodak film manufactured in Rochester, NY or Fair Lawn, NJ? Or ?
    And how does Film Photography Project justify Kodak 8x10 Tri-X 320 being twice the retail price of Ilford 8x10 HP-5+ 400
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

As I understand it, these days all Kodak film is manufactured in Rochester. Sounds to me like the FPP is a dealer. Fair Lawn, NJ is part of the New York City metropolis, and for many years Kodak operated a Kodachrome processing lab there.
    I'm sorry to hear that Kodak is raising prices. I have no idea why, and as an ex-employee, I just hope that they stay in business.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    As I understand it, these days all Kodak film is manufactured in Rochester. Sounds to me like the FPP is a dealer. Fair Lawn, NJ is part of the New York City metropolis, and for many years Kodak operated a Kodachrome processing lab there.
    I'm sorry to hear that Kodak is raising prices. I have no idea why, and as an ex-employee, I just hope that they stay in business.
    He isn’t in the Route 4 plant. He is in an industrial park.
    He is mainly selling private label as well as expired Kodak respooled movie stock.

Any fresh stock he is probably buying from Omega Brandess and not from Kodak directly.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    ...how does Film Photography Project justify Kodak 8x10 Tri-X 320 being twice the retail price of Ilford 8x10 HP-5+ 400
    Neither this particular retailer nor Eastman Kodak nor Kodak Alaris need justify the retail price of any film. 8x10 320TXP sells for what the market is willing to pay for it. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Neither this particular retailer nor Eastman Kodak nor Kodak Alaris need justify the retail price of any film. 8x10 320TXP sells for what the market is willing to pay for it. Period.
    And that is a mystery. TXP isn't TMY, it's TXP!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    He isn’t in the Route 4 plant. He is in an industrial park.
    He is mainly selling private label as well as expired Kodak respooled movie stock.

Any fresh stock he is probably buying from Omega Brandess and not from Kodak directly.
    Bob ... who is the "he" you are referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Graves View Post
    Bob ... who is the "he" you are referring to?
    The owner.

...how does Film Photography Project justify Kodak 8x10 Tri-X 320 being twice the retail price of Ilford 8x10 HP-5+ 400
    And that is a mystery. TXP isn't TMY, it's TXP!
    What's the mystery? The market likes 8x10 320TXP more than it likes 8x10 TMY-2. That's why 8x10 320TXP is a standard catalog item and 8x10 TMY-2 is a special order. It's why B&H sells a lot more 8x10 320TXP than it does 8x10 TMY-2. B&H has cut the price of 8x10 TMY-2 to 85% of what it sells 8x10 320TXP for, likely because the most recent batch of approximately 140 units of the former that it special ordered hasn't been moving quickly at all.

I'd pay even more for 8x10 TMY-2 that had the retouchable back coating of 8x10 320TXP, not due to any interest in retouching negatives, but because of the robustness and anti-Newton's rings properties of that back coating. Apparently, even fewer people share this interest with me than want 8x10 TMY-2 as it exists today.

The market wants what the market wants. There's no accounting for taste. I don't understand why anyone would shoot Velveeta in any format, but people do.

What's the mystery? The market likes 8x10 320TXP more than it likes 8x10 TMY-2. That's why 8x10 320TXP is a standard catalog item and 8x10 TMY-2 is a special order. It's why B&H sells a lot more 8x10 320TXP than it does 8x10 TMY-2. B&H has cut the price of 8x10 TMY-2 to 85% of what it sells 8x10 320TXP for, likely because the most recent batch of approximately 140 units of the former that it special ordered hasn't been moving quickly at all.

I'd pay even more for 8x10 TMY-2 that had the retouchable back coating of 8x10 320TXP, not due to any interest in retouching negatives, but because of the robustness and anti-Newton's rings properties of that back coating. Apparently, even fewer people share this interest with me than want 8x10 TMY-2 as it exists today.

The market wants what the market wants. There's no accounting for taste. I don't understand why anyone would shoot Velveeta in any format, but people do.
    I am with you Sal on TMY as a premier sheet film. In addition to the reasons you mentioned, its linear response, fine grain structure and linear density building characteristics are absolutely marvelous. Not happy with the disparity in price over FP4+ and Delta 100 but there are times when one needs to step up to the plate.