Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: High-Speed Sync for Speed Graphic

Re: High-Speed Sync for Speed Graphic

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    You can only properly synch an electronic flash with a for shutter if the flash is fired when the curtain opening covers the entire film area. That will only be at slower speeds on your camera.
    wrong. that's the entire point of high speed sync flash.

Quote Originally Posted by maltfalc View Post
    wrong. that's the entire point of high speed sync flash.
    Not regular flash units.

Not regular flash units.
    read the title of the thread. and you're still wrong, even some "regular" flashes without hss can do hss with added circuitry. read the thread.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Ignore

read the title of the thread. and you're still wrong, even some "regular" flashes without hss can do hss with added circuitry. read the thread.
    One big reason to be able to use faster shutter speeds with flash is to be able to balance ambient light with flash output. Synching any electronic flash to properly expose an entire sheet of film at any speed becomes quite a project since the slit sizes in the fp curtain varies with the selected speed. There is not a constant slit size or curtain travel speed. So how would you accomplish this with a speed graphic?

i'm sure there are occasional exceptions, but if you don't need a fp shutter a crown graphic is smaller and lighter and way cheaper. there's no advantage to choosing a speed over a crown other than the fp shutter.
    Almost true. 2x3 Pacemaker Speeds -- taboo here, but that's what I have -- have usefully more extension that 2x3 Crowns. Crowns are indeed friendlier to short lenses. I was able to justify having one of each. Others may disagree.

One big reason to be able to use faster shutter speeds with flash is to be able to balance ambient light with flash output. Synching any electronic flash to properly expose an entire sheet of film at any speed becomes quite a project since the slit sizes in the fp curtain varies with the selected speed. There is not a constant slit size or curtain travel speed. So how would you accomplish this with a speed graphic?
    i've been over this already. it's not complicated or difficult, at all. read my previous comments and pick your favourite option.

I think the only way you could get a modern strobe with a speed graphics:
    You would need to get a circuit to tell the strobe trigger its in HSS and what the shutter speed is. This will tell the strobe to pulse the light out of the strobe.
    I personally don't ever use HSS in my work flow, because I want the full power of my strobes. Using the Lens prong or using a PC sync cable, I get to use all the shutter speeds, B-1/400 or 1/500. On my digital camera its 1/200.

If you can't get to HSS, you can use an ND filter.
    I use a Profoto B10+ , B2 Godox ad200s, and Godox AD400pro. I use the Godox trigger and My Profoto Air Remote didn't have a sync port, so I bought a trigger on ebay to use with my profoto strobes.

Quote Originally Posted by drarmament View Post
    I think the only way you could get a modern strobe with a speed graphics:
    You would need to get a circuit to tell the strobe trigger its in HSS and what the shutter speed is. This will tell the strobe to pulse the light out of the strobe.
    that won't work. regular hss doesn't last long enough to cover the travel time of a 4x5 fp shutter. go read the third comment on page 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Aren’t the Speed curtain sync contacts only in one place or opening?

That has messed me up before
    More importantly are they reliable.. i've tested my focal plane shutter flash and it doesn't fire about one out of 6 times, film is too expensive these days to live with that.

If I'm shooting a flash with my fp shutter, I use T, and just try to be quick about the operations (open shutter, flash, close shutter). If I was going to do a lot of flash photography with the FP shutter I'd create something to automate this process.