Thread: 8X10 Wood Eastman Kodak Filmholder Size?

Al in NC

8X10 Wood Eastman Kodak Filmholder Size?

I am building an 8X10, and I've found a very nice ground glass/filmholder assembly from a 1903 Rochester Optical/Eastman Kodak camera. It will mount on the frame for the bellows (which I've designed and built), and should (this needs checking) have the correct dimensions for focusing (.255-.265 film plane to outside of holder). My concern is filmholder width. A contemporary 8X10 holder has a width of about 9-1/4". The Rochester/Eastman looks to take something on the order of 9-7/8" I assume they didn't do metric). There are a few wooden "Kodak" 8X10 filmholders for sale on eBay, of unknown age, and I've emailed sellers for actual measurements, thus far to no reply. I can readily shim down my frame to accept smaller-width modern 8X10 filmholders, but before I do I wonder if anyone out in the LF has any info on this topic. Thanks.... Al Lockwood

Re: 8X10 Wood Eastman Kodak Filmholder Size?

I just measured a wooden holder(Eastman Kodak) and it measured 9 5/16"wide. Hope this helps.

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by mossbloom View Post
    I am building an 8X10, and I've found a very nice ground glass/filmholder assembly from a 1903 Rochester Optical/Eastman Kodak camera. It will mount on the frame for the bellows (which I've designed and built), and should (this needs checking) have the correct dimensions for focusing (.255-.265 film plane to outside of holder). My concern is filmholder width. A contemporary 8X10 holder has a width of about 9-1/4". The Rochester/Eastman looks to take something on the order of 9-7/8" I assume they didn't do metric). There are a few wooden "Kodak" 8X10 filmholders for sale on eBay, of unknown age, and I've emailed sellers for actual measurements, thus far to no reply. I can readily shim down my frame to accept smaller-width modern 8X10 filmholders, but before I do I wonder if anyone out in the LF has any info on this topic. Thanks.... Al Lockwood
    If it came from a Rochester Optical Co. camera the holders are property and do NOT fit modern standard holders and must use hard to find Rochester Optical holders. I know as I own several RCO cameras in varying formats up to 11x14 and all have their own holders none match modern holders. Light rib is at leading edge of the dark slide end of holder.

BTW- Don't confuse Eastman holders with ROC as they where once independent of Eastman so not every Eastman holder will fit ROC while all ROC holders will fit ROC only. Again they are wider & the light trap rib sits at the leading edge of the dark slide end of holder unlike later where they moved the light trap rib back from the edge a bit.

Hello - welcome to "Vintage" large format - In the days of hand-craftsmanship, who needed standardization?! I have six wooden 8x10 holders that came with/fit a Kodak No.2 in 8x10. They are a side-by-side match with a modern plastic Elite and they are the same width (9 1/4" by Stanley tape) and the same length/distance to the locking-ridge at the slide-handle end of the holder. The side-by-side method is a "gauge" so that is, in practical terms, the more relevant measure.--alfredian

The 8"x10 ROC Carlton I used to own did not take modern holders, the proprietary holders were a good bit wider. I opted to made myself a new back for it that took standard / modern holders. (not a beginner woodworkers project, by the way)
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com