Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Scanner, enlarger, or contact printer? Which one and why???

Re: Scanner, enlarger, or contact printer? Which one and why???

upside of scanning is that if LF is not your thing there are other uses for the scanner. darkroom equipment on the other hand...

I say this as someone who scans when necessary and it's enough, but prefers working under the Thomas Duplex.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

I return to the OP's original intent--to have wet prints made, be it by an outside lab or himself. He wants to learn how to use a LF camera, I would suggest learning darkroom skills as well. Maybe a class at a local community college?

Scanning will just take him off on a tangent if the final objective is a darkroom print. The results will tell him if the negative is good, but without printing it digitally it will be difficult to communicate to the lab what he wants done. And if he's going to make an inkjet print, then he might as well invest in a good photo printer and monitor.

I primarily use V700 to scan very old prints and Polaroids, fixing the time caused flaws, such as rips, fade, colour in PS.

The V700 pressure pad is useful to flatten the bent heirloom.

If framed I put the old photo right back in the original frame, behind the 'fixed' one, with clean glass. For the next generation to discover.

For funerals I may enlarge a few to allow old eyes to see loved ones better. Most want nice happy pics of the deceased in their prime.

My sideline is slowing way down...
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I primarily use V700 to scan very old prints and Polaroids, fixing the time caused flaws, such as rips, fade, colour in PS.

The V700 pressure pad is useful to flatten the bent heirloom.

If framed I put the old photo right back in the original frame, behind the 'fixed' one, with clean glass. For the next generation to discover.

For funerals I may enlarge a few to allow old eyes to see loved ones better. Most want nice happy pics of the deceased in their prime.

My sideline is slowing way down...
    Good point about saving the original. Think about people who had precious slides and movies put on VHS tapes that now have nothing. I would start with an inexpensive Epson scanner (would need a 4x5 film holder ) most of us want to buy equipment. It's intoxicating.

The V850 was on sale over the holidays, only 1 grand, I was tempted, but I came to my senses.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post

The V850 was on sale over the holidays, only 1 grand, I was tempted, but I came to my senses.

Looks like they show up used for $800 or less.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

I am waiting for D860 with pixel shift

https://www.nikonrumors.co/category/nikon-d860/

A D750 will work until then
    Tin Can

My 2 cents on scanning: I bought a second-hand V700 to scan my large format negs and have been very happy with the results. This is probably a testament to my lack of darkroom printing skills, but I’m able to get much better results through digital manipulation in Photoshop. Negs that would have required the ghost of Ansel standing next to me under the safelight to get a decent print, I can now “save” in Photoshop. Tweaking shadow detail and mid-tone contrast are easier for me in the digital realm. And it pains me to say that, because nothing beats a great silver print from the hands of a darkroom master.

If only there was a way to beam a digital file onto a sheet of fiber paper in my darkroom. Inkjet "negatives" are an option but once again I hate sitting at a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    If only there was a way to beam a digital file onto a sheet of fiber paper in my darkroom.
    http://de-vere.com/wp-content/uploads/devere-504ds.pdf

How old
    How much

Why not

Tin Can