Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking hard about taking the LF plunge.....

Foamer

Re: Thinking hard about taking the LF plunge.....

Just checked Ebay and found five "4x5 camera" that will do what you want for under $500.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

I think the key here for me is understanding the post-processing better.

If I can get a better feel and understanding of the time investment and cost investment, I can plug that into the complete equation. Right now I'm a little dated and blind to that part. AND THAT'S a huge part of this.

Best tips and references???

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

That’s not the key... your overthinking. What do you really want to do with bigger film that you can’t do with smaller film?

BTW, for me an answer of “I just want to...” is good enough. I get great joy out of using a press camera, shooting 4x5, and sending out for processing. No difference than if I used a smaller camera except the thrill of using vintage camera and bigger film.

Brian, with all due respect, I don't think I'm over thinking this....

At this point for me, its a numbers game. I can go ahead and drop $700 or more on the necessary gear to take the picture. BUT, what about the cost on the back end? What if that also cost $700??? What about $1000 or more. That would really suck to find that out! But, what if it really only boils down to a couple of hundred bucks to do it myself and the time commitment is a couple of hours on a Saturday?

The latter of the two is very reasonable and would not kill the equation.

So that's what I mean when I say I need to understand the back end process better in terms of cost and time commitment.

That said, I totally hear what you're saying....you're just saying JUST DO IT!!!

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Try this scenario... the minimum gear you need:

4x5 camera. You can get one with lensboard and lens for about $200 to 300 if you shop carefully and don’t get caught up with trying to “buy the best” or “buy the perfect kit the first time”.
    Film holders... a couple. $40, maybe.
    Box of film. Another $40.
    Shipping on the above.
    Processing... 5/sheet plus & $8 return postage.

You can use any number of metering methods that you already have.
    Loading film... maybe you need a changing bag. Another $20.
    Dark cloth... borrow a bathroom towel.
    Lens shade... old baseball cap, unless you have a nice fedora to use.

Your wife will love me (although she might want to propose an alternative to her towels). You’ll love me too...

EDIT: also fit into your equation the probability that some money will need to be spent for overhauling the shutter on whatever lens you get. About $150 and maybe plus shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    I think the key here for me is understanding the post-processing better.

If I can get a better feel and understanding of the time investment and cost investment, I can plug that into the complete equation. Right now I'm a little dated and blind to that part. AND THAT'S a huge part of this.

Best tips and references???
    Post processing? If you're sending it to a lab, the lab can supply the cost/time frame info. If it's going to be DYI you've got trays, daylight tank or a processor, chemicals and some sort of washer & timer to collect. Manufacturers publish tables for chemical requirements to soup a given amount of film. I've used a Unicolor processor with the drums for paper with decent results. There is an article in the LF Homepage (light blue banner at the top of this page) on the how to do this, or go deluxe with a Jobo.
    Printing, IMHO is more fun than developing film.
    Are you planning on using a scanner, enlarger, or contact printer?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

loujon

Brian, with all due respect, I don't think I'm over thinking this....

At this point for me, its a numbers game. I can go ahead and drop $700 or more on the necessary gear to take the picture. BUT, what about the cost on the back end? What if that also cost $700??? What about $1000 or more. That would really suck to find that out! But, what if it really only boils down to a couple of hundred bucks to do it myself and the time commitment is a couple of hours on a Saturday?

The latter of the two is very reasonable and would not kill the equation.

So that's what I mean when I say I need to understand the back end process better in terms of cost and time commitment.

That said, I totally hear what you're saying....you're just saying JUST DO IT!!!
    If it where me and I had a smallish amount to "jump in" I would start shopping for a semi complete camera either a rail camera,lens/lenses mounted on lens board a hand full of holders along w/a case for transport or a complete Crown Graphic with a lens or two a fiber case and a hand full of holders.Neither should run you more then 350-500 bucks leaving enough for first couple of boxes of film Now buy a box of film and give it a try.

BTW-If it goes nowhere fast and wife is not pleased then sell off the gear and you should easily recoup all but the coast of film and this may not displease your wife all that much with little to no lose of monies.

BTW2- If you can keep your eyes on Craigslist for complete rail camera systems for good prices it's hit or miss but every once in while I see a good starter deal for a fairly complete system on it. Sometimes you'll have to drive a bit for a good deal and other times you may find nothing at all for days/months.So it's hit or miss for sure but worth keeping an eye on.

One of us should be near you. Meeting up and doing some photography together would be a great way to try different gear and get a better idea of what's all involved.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I found this local. He'll take less than the eBay price. But for reference:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F184021534634

We don't do valuations, so we should not comment per Mod rules on this forum

I found this local. He'll take less than the eBay price. But for reference:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F184021534634
    Tin Can