Thread: Zone VI Wide Angle Bellows - Return or Keep?

Zone VI Wide Angle Bellows - Return or Keep?

After picking up a Zone VI Ultra Light from a fellow forum member, I did some shopping around for a bag bellows for this. Found one on the auction site, which arrived yesterday. It is a hybrid, which I expected, but nothing on it to indicate that it is of Zone VI origin. I decided to check it out for light leaks, and used a very strong flashlight to check it out. What I am finding are couple of small pinpoint light leaks in the bag area. They almost look like someone poked a staple here an there. The square bellows section seems to be okay. However, I did not mount this on the camera, so that will be next, later on this evening.

From what I've seen, these are not common, so it may be a while before one surfaces again. Since these pinpoints are not on the creases of the bellows section, but are on the bag part, I am assuming that using something like gaffer's tape would make for a more effective repair than it would on a crease or a corner of the regular bellows section. I will be checking the entire unit very carefully later tonight, but wanted to get some feedback before I make a final decision.

Thanks,

Ed

Re: Zone VI Wide Angle Bellows - Return or Keep?

Some thoughts after 27 years with a Z-VI:
    1) My Z-VI bag bellows have no label.
    2) Mine have failed (and were easily fixed) where the pleats meet the bag. (They are inflexible in the cold.) Never yet seen a pinhole.
    3) They are necessary for lenses shorter than 120mm.
    4) Z-VI/Calumet are long out of business.
    Perhaps, if you require them, patch and go. Otherwise, ask to return them and keep your eyes open.

If pinholes are on the bag part of the bellows... repair and use. If pinholes on where the bellows meets the frame... either separate them and re-glue them together, as a total repair, or return the bellows. Have purchased a few bag bellows over the years for various cameras that had pinhole in them which greatly reduced the selling prices. Repaired them and never had another problem with them.

If you bought a bellows that was supposed to be in good condition and isn’t then return it and wait for another one.
    Once you get pinholes you will get more and any repair is a stop gap and patching will only make the repaired holes less flexible.

Appreciate the comments from everyone! Very helpful!

Interestingly enough, I encountered another problem with the bag bellows after my original posting. After checking out the original bellows that came with the camera, I removed those bellows with the intention of installing the bag bellows to more easily check for the location of the light leaks noted previously. As I was removing the regular bellows, I looked over at the bag bellows, and saw that they have two round pins on opposing sides of the wooden frame for the front of the bellows. The regular bellows do not have this, nor are there any matching locating holes in the front standard of the camera. So, the bag bellows will not fit on the camera without either cutting off these pins, or drilling holes in the front standard. Neither of those sound like a good idea. So, the question would be:

1. Is this actually a bag bellows made for another camera? Or......

2. Did the bag bellows on the Zone VI 4x5 cameras change at some point in time? (As mentioned earlier, what I have is the Ultra Light.)

At this point, I think that Bob's advice to return it would be the best course of action. Before I do, I thought it would be best to get some info on these questions so that I can explain this to the seller and arrange to get this returned. I wonder if Richard Ritter could fabricate some bag bellows.

Thank you all very much!

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by EdC View Post
    Appreciate the comments from everyone! Very helpful!

Interestingly enough, I encountered another problem with the bag bellows after my original posting. After checking out the original bellows that came with the camera, I removed those bellows with the intention of installing the bag bellows to more easily check for the location of the light leaks noted previously. As I was removing the regular bellows, I looked over at the bag bellows, and saw that they have two round pins on opposing sides of the wooden frame for the front of the bellows. The regular bellows do not have this, nor are there any matching locating holes in the front standard of the camera. So, the bag bellows will not fit on the camera without either cutting off these pins, or drilling holes in the front standard. Neither of those sound like a good idea. So, the question would be:

1. Is this actually a bag bellows made for another camera? Or......

2. Did the bag bellows on the Zone VI 4x5 cameras change at some point in time? (As mentioned earlier, what I have is the Ultra Light.)

At this point, I think that Bob's advice to return it would be the best course of action. Before I do, I thought it would be best to get some info on these questions so that I can explain this to the seller and arrange to get this returned. I wonder if Richard Ritter could fabricate some bag bellows.

Thank you all very much!

Ed
    The only reason that you have to explain is that it has pinholes. That makes it defective!
    Anything else is an excuse for buying the wrong bellows for your camera. That would not be the sellers problem. But pinholes, not declared in the description, is the sellers problem.

Appreciate the rapid response, Bob. Let me clarify something here. The photos of the item as it appeared on the auction site did not show any locator pins. With it being described as: "Zone VI 4x5 LF Wooden Field Camera Wide Angle Bellow - Bag / pleated Hybrid", the expectation was that it would work on my camera. Based on available information, I purchased the item. Contrary to the description offered, it doesn't fit, in addition to the pinhole issue. So, I would disagree with this being termed an excuse.

I have owned two different Zone VI 4x5 cameras at different times over the years the first one I owned had pins to hold the bellows in place and the second one did not. When I had the first camera I ordered a used bag bellows from Lens and Repro and when I received it there were no pins and I had to send it back as it would not work with my camera. It would have worked with the second camera that I acquired after selling the first one. So there was a change in the production somewhere along the line. And while the bellows you received does not fit your camera it will fit other older Zone XI cameras

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk