Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking hard about taking the LF plunge.....

Re: Thinking hard about taking the LF plunge.....

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post

Are you planning on using a scanner, enlarger, or contact printer?
    This is exactly what I'm talking about! How can I think about buying into a LF system when I can't answer John's question!!

I know too little about the full end to end process to justify the plunge!

To answer your question, I think scanning makes the most sense to me. But that's based on very limited knowledge of the pros and cons. Seems to me, you develop the negatives and scan them into the digital world and then I'm off to the races. The other two options to me sound like more sub-hobbies and more complicated processing methods.

If I understand it right. Camera...shoot it... develop the negative in my bathroom...scan the negative to my computer... process the scanned image...print the image with a pro lab...ship it to me...put it on the wall.

What I miss?

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    I found this local. He'll take less than the eBay price. But for reference:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F184021534634
    That’s an option. Very high quality camera with fine controls. You could use something like that... or something a lot less sophisticated.

You must be my brother...

Foamer

What you found is a good deal, but it will be heavy to carry. And yes, I think everyone is missing what you are saying about what to DO with the photos. I scan all of mine on an Epson v700. Even used those cost $350. I'll back track on what I said and suggest that to start, and to see if you even like it, send your film to a place that will process and give you a medium quality scan. I also agree with Peter above that you can probably find someone within a couple of hundred miles of you that could meet you somewhere and show you what's involved. I live at the junction of I-29 and I-90 in eastern South Dakota and am will to drive a hundred miles to catch you. Hundred miles ain't nothing around here.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

First item to consider is the finished print as your goal. This needs to be the primary focus of how the rest of the image creation system needs to come together, what tools are needed, what materials needs to be chosen-used. Without a solid idea of the kind of expressive images are to be produce, camera-lens, format size, film, film processing, print making (digital or chemical), print mounting is mostly irrelevant as each item within the print making process needs to be tailored to your specific expressive image making needs. Don't go out and get a camera based on the idea-belief the camera-lens is central to the resulting print as there are MANY factors to consider centered around the finished print goal.

IMO, too many believe it is the camera-lens that produces the image. Reality is, that is only one item in the entire system of what is required to produce that print. To achieve a very specific print result demands control of every aspect of this print making process which includes film processing and each and every fine detail of the print making process. Yes, one can take short-cuts and job-shop out the individual print making elements, which is great if that is your method to achieving your print making goals. But, know this method will have limitations due to factors and work that is beyond your control.

Bernice

This is exactly what I'm talking about! How can I think about buying into a LF system when I can't answer John's question!!

I know too little about the full end to end process to justify the plunge!

To answer your question, I think scanning makes the most sense to me. But that's based on very limited knowledge of the pros and cons. Seems to me, you develop the negatives and scan them into the digital world and then I'm off to the races. The other two options to me sound like more sub-hobbies and more complicated processing methods.

If I understand it right. Camera...shoot it... develop the negative in my bathroom...scan the negative to my computer... process the scanned image...print the image with a pro lab...ship it to me...put it on the wall.

What I miss?

”If I understand it right. Camera...shoot it... develop the negative in my bathroom...scan the negative to my computer... process the scanned image...print the image with a pro lab...ship it to me...put it on the wall.

What I miss?”

You didn’t miss a thing. Except, perhaps, framing. What you outlined is a perfectly viable option. There are other viable options too. There’s no need to commit to just one. First things first... capture a worthy subject on film. Improvise and improve from there!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    ”If I understand it right. Camera...shoot it... develop the negative in my bathroom...scan the negative to my computer... process the scanned image...print the image with a pro lab...ship it to me...put it on the wall.

What I miss?”

You didn’t miss a thing. Except, perhaps, framing. What you outlined is a perfectly viable option. There are other viable options too. There’s no need to commit to just one. First things first... capture a worthy subject on film. Improvise and improve from there!

yeah...what he said. Don't over think it. Analysis paralysis and all of that.
    Try...something, anything.....
    or sit at the computer and analyse it to death.
    Only one option has a chance of producing a print.

Foamer

What I miss?

Load film holders in the dark.....operate & shoot camera......unload holders in dark bathroom....process in SP445 in kitchen.....scan negs. Requires a way to scan negs, which will cost some extra money.

Load film holders in the dark....operate & shoot camera....unload holders in dark bathroom, place film in film box.....mail off requesting process and medium quality scan.

I think option two makes the most sense for you starting out. It would be a lot less to learn all at once and less money up front. I do process & scan my own film but I've worked up to it. It's not hard but it does involve time and money. For you I suggest find a used folding 4x5 camera such as the "Wista field 4x5 Wood" on ebay which includes three holders. Find a used 135mm or 150mm lens in Copal shutter, prefereably already in a lens board. Buy a box of Ilford FP4+, use a black jacket or t-shirt as a dark cloth, either meter with your digital camera or buy a $50 incident light meter. Load film in a windowless room at night, lights off in adjoining room. The white strip on the dark slide goes towards you. Set up and level, focus camera, make sure viewing shutter is closed when you remove dark slide. Take shot, replace dark slide with the black strip now facing you. Unload film in dark bathroom, place film in an empty film box someone here sends you for free, close it back up and write how many sheets are inside. You can now send that film to be processed and scanned or keep shooting more sheets and sending later.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Let me repeat something Kent said... it really profound: “FP4+“

but but

One can make an image on a computer, no camera or lens required, send the file to a 'lab', they print it, frame and ship it anywhere

I have done that!

Here it is, made in Photoshop 1999 by me, then sent by that Internet thing to a printer who made 10,000 stickers which I gave away at Art Fairs, 10 at a time, with a warning do not stick them anywhere near here. Teachers loved them and asked for more, some laughed, some got mad, one guy said 'I am an Artist' and ran the other way. One gallery went totally nuts, we never entered it. It was a huge Art Street Festival with no one denied to participate if they paid $25 for a space. I signed up, paid, no request for 'space'. The guy running the event got really mad at me for giving away a free round sticker as he was selling $5 round stickers for street admission to art gazers. He forced me to move 2 blocks away. Yes sir!

The next day he apologized!

Second year, I came back with stickers and free T Shirts, if they wore them right now and let me take a picture. I have 4000 stickers left and 10 T shirts. Later that year I took the show to Burning Man with the Honda Civic NOT ART car which they certified as an Art Car allowing ne to display it anywhere on the Playa. My camp loved the shirts.

Image that...

1-NOT ART Sticker by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

1-camera guy by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

1-2 girl by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

1-01-NOT ART Car by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    What you found is a good deal, but it will be heavy to carry. And yes, I think everyone is missing what you are saying about what to DO with the photos. I scan all of mine on an Epson v700. Even used those cost $350. I'll back track on what I said and suggest that to start, and to see if you even like it, send your film to a place that will process and give you a medium quality scan. I also agree with Peter above that you can probably find someone within a couple of hundred miles of you that could meet you somewhere and show you what's involved. I live at the junction of I-29 and I-90 in eastern South Dakota and am will to drive a hundred miles to catch you. Hundred miles ain't nothing around here.
    Kent in SD
    Hi. yes you are onto this now...

I just lost a auction on a Tachihara kit. It went for a really good deal. I would have been more aggressive had I had more understood. The things you are talking about with the scanner is what I need to understand better.

At this point this is what I've summarized from this thread (which you have personally been very helpful), but all of you have really helped:
    1. Quit dithering and get a camera
    2. Don't worry about getting the perfect first camera, its all wrong (and that's fine)
    3. A good strategy is to shoot and send it all out for processing
    4. Increase the number of variables and cost when ready to jump into development and post processing
    5. Don't need to spend a ton of money on the camera (refer back to #2)
    6. Find someone local and tag along as an observer

This thread has been very helpful. I think I'm going to head over to the other parts of this forum and learn more about the backend of this workflow.

You guys are great!