Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Months-away tide prediction site or app?

Do or do not. There is no try.

Months-away tide prediction site or app?

Does anyone know of a web site or iPhone app that will give a rough tide prediction several months into the future? I'm not worried about fine details, just when it will be high or low within an hour or two.

I can't find any web site that goes more than a week or two out. Descriptions I've read in the app store have not been useful. That's not very useful when trying to plan a trip along the California coast in April.

Yes, I could watch the tides for a few days, figure out the average time between high tides, and work it out for myself, but I'm hoping I don't have to.

Re: Months-away tide prediction site or app?

I use "Tide Prediction" on android.

NOAA website has the info too. e.g.
    https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/no...tml?id=8411250

And knowing the lunar cycle repeats at 29.5 days is helpful too. I checked NOAA and their site goes months in advance. There are also printed calendars, if that's your style, made as promotional items for the fishing industry.

Interesting. I didn't see that on the NOAA site, the small print at the bottom on the page you linked to says 31 days maximum range. But I'll keep poking around.

How far out does Tide Prediction go? I'll have to see if there's a similar iPhone app, it's not worth it to me switching phones for this.

I like windfinder.com a lot for all weather related things (wind, tides, rain, etc) but it doesn't allow you to fast forward months ahead like you asked for. They also have an iPhone app: https://apps.apple.com/app/windfinder/id336829635. Together with LightTrac (let's you determine where the sun will be at any given time & place, even how high in the sky) you can predict a shot quite accurately. Sorry if my reply is a little off-topic.

For light, I use The Photographers' Ephemeris, which is available as a paid app or free website. Wind I use ikitesurf app and aviationweather.gov

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/no...tml?id=8411250 has tide tables for 2020 and 2021 !

Interesting. I'll have to see if they have something similar for where I'll be in CA, though I'll have to find a station number first. Alternately, I can just use the Maine info and figure out the difference between stations for any particular day (like today). Thank you.

Back when I was surfing a lot (before the internet), I always kept a tide chart booklet in the car. Had tide predictions for the entire year. These were readily found at every surf shop in California. This is a bible for most every surfer, as wave conditions vary depending on the tide.
    Call some surf shops in the areas you'll be visiting. I'm sure they'll be able to point you to any applicable Apps or web sites that publish this information.

i use this one for kayaking. it will do any month in any year on any day.

you'll have to search your location in the first line, then save that link so you dont have to reset it each time you use it.

https://tides.mobilegeographics.com/locations/178.html