Thread: Beseler 45MCRX

Beseler 45MCRX

Hi
    I have a beseler 45MCRX. I have been trying to use it to enlarge prints but find that it will only focus the neg at a small size.
    I am using a Nikon f=150 lens. It seems that no matter what I do with the bellows the best size I can get is 8X5, with out putting it on the.
    I move the bellows up and down and the whole thing up and down but can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I have used other enlargers and not had this problem.
    Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Beseler 45MCRX

Keith,
    I've got the much older Beseler 45M, and on it there is a bellows above and below the negative holder. The one below is the normal one for focussing, the one above allows the negative to be moved in relation to the condensor lens. From memory I usually have the negative as close as possible to the lens. Anyway, if you take the negative holder out and turn the knob you can see the circle of light get larger or smaller as the negative stage moves up or down.

PS, if you don't already have one, get a Beseler Negaflat for your 4x5 negs. It does a brilliant job.

regards,

Paul Ewins
    Melbourne, Australia

Beseler 45MCRX

It sounds like the upper bellows may not be correctly positioned. If you have a diffusion light source (i.e. you don't have the condenser head) then scrunch the top bellows together as close as it will go and just leave it there all the time. If you have a condenser head then I believe the upper bellows is positioned at different points depending on the negative size that you're using (e.g. 35mm, 6x7, 4x5, etc.). Beseler used to sell a little guide that attached to the side of the enlarger and that was used to position the upper bellows for each negative size. However, I've never used condensers with my Beseler so someone who has might correct me on the condenser portion of this. Once you have the upper bellows in proper position the image should get much bigger than 5x8 as you raise the enlarger head up.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Beseler 45MCRX

Keith,

What Paul says is correct.

What Brian says is always correct.

Beseler 45MCRX

Keith,

The 150mm lens is for the 4x5 neg. What size neg are you enlarging?

Beseler 45MCRX

Thanks for the help. I have tried your suggestions and they have made the image shaper but no bigger.
    I am using standard 35mm negs Eric, Dose this mean that I need a different lens and if so which one?
    Thanks again.

Beseler 45MCRX

For 35mm negative a 50mm lens is considered normal anthing from 40 to 75 mm can be used. A 150 is for a 4x5 negative and is too long for 35mm. 50mm lenses are inexpensive and will solve your problem.
    John

Beseler 45MCRX

Alright I'll try getting a 50mm lense thanks for you help.